Review Round 4 vs Carlton

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
It’s so much easier to make excuses watching replays and slow-no.

By the time Powell has gained possession he has an arm pinned and is going down. He can either attempt to get it on his boot and probably get pinned for incorrect disposal due to dropping the ball, or he can make sure he holds onto it, resulting in a ball up. At no point should he have to consider bracing his head for being slammed into the ground when he has the ball in one hand and his other pinned behind him .... because it’s a free kick.

It was a careless tackle resulting in a player having to sit out the rest of the game. Should be a fine at least, but then again it should’ve been a free-kick so who knows with the AFL. Nothing Powell could’ve done to prevent it short of not go for the ball.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
awesome win by you guys, but how do you think you guys got the bad side of the umpires, it was literally horrible both ways, in the last 5 minutes there was probably over 10-15 non decisions that could of turned the game both ways. anyways well done and good luck

I think everyone agrees there was shocking calls both ways.

Liam Jones clearly marked the ball - play on
Will Powell had his head slammed - play on
Patrick Cripps got ridden in the back - no call
Chris burgess got dragged down 15m in front - no call
There were about 10 holding the ball non decisions.

Both teams had it bad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]
Setterfield copped 2 weeks for the tackle on Wil.
What did the umpire get ?? ……
Was watching from right above - had to be a clear free kick + 50m . ( Setterfield suspension confirms this).
And Bods.. Baldy and Mary May are innocent - the offender really put his Foot in it this time..

Setterfield copped 2 weeks for the tackle on Wil.
Carlton supporters arguing with me on twitter saying it was a good tackle, that it was Will' fault for not getting rid of the ball. That it was not reportable.
Um.. he slammed his head into the turf and could not walk properly. No matter what the intent was, it was rough, careless and high to the head. Just as simple as that.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What did the umpire get ?? ……
Was watching from right above - had to be a clear free kick + 50m . ( Setterfield suspension confirms this).
And Bods.. Baldy and Mary May are innocent - the offender really put his Foot in it this time..

All the senior players asked the question of the umpire and he just shrugged
Nitwit

Last edited:
But..he had a free arm.....
Doesn't really matter in this case I guess. Didn't have a lot of time to pass the ball off before the tackle. Had a slinging motion adding to the rough contact, careless and high impact to the head.

Michael Christianson explains it here.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think everyone agrees there was shocking calls both ways.

Liam Jones clearly marked the ball - play on
Will Powell had his head slammed - play on
Patrick Cripps got ridden in the back - no call
Chris burgess got dragged down 15m in front - no call
There were about 10 holding the ball non decisions.

Both teams had it bad.

Sexton push in the back top of the square

Miles push in the back across the boundary line on the 50m arc all in the last 5 mins

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Left free arm but the guy slam him on his right side .

Doesn't really matter in this case I guess. Didn't have a lot of time to pass the ball off before the tackle. Had a slinging motion adding to the rough contact, careless and high impact to the head.

Michael Christianson explains it here.

Haha I know. Was imitating Carlton supporters and their ridiculous line of thinking but was on my phone and couldn’t add the necessary sarcasm. My bad.

Surprised it was 2 weeks, but when you elect to tackle and pin the arm, you are responsible for the outcome of the tackles player.

Haha I know. Was imitating Carlton supporters and their ridiculous line of thinking but was on my phone and couldn’t add the necessary sarcasm. My bad.

Surprised it was 2 weeks, but when you elect to tackle and pin the arm, you are responsible for the outcome of the tackles player.

Yeah. Brodie Grundy got 2 weeks in late 2017 for something similar. yes he had one arm free, but he didn't have enough time to give off the ball before being tackled, as the tackler took away that motion.
And the way he went down, the player drove his head to the ground.

With concussion and even players having to retire from symptoms, the AFL have been cracking down on these things.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
First game my kids have actually wanted to go to today
Hoping it's not another disappointment for them
At the end and after Jacks goal my boys and I be like
giphy.gif

Back