Autopsy Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, for all this immense crying about Hawthorn being down to 2 on the bench and so-on for a chunk of the game, I just looked at the TOG numbers and Hawthorn only had two who played less than 70% of the game.

Frawley played 31% and Stratton 60%.

While for us McKenzie played 33% and Parker (went off with a big limp in the 2nd quarter, but eventually returned) played 66%.

So from a purely rotations POV both sides were in almost identical positions and apparently Hawthorn actually had more rotations than us, so it's little to no excuse.

The appointment of billy slater was a master stroke. Our tackling is unreal
its taken a long time to get our tackling right. from my memory we even collaborated with the Storm a few years ago.

Thats true. But the question wasnt about whether mentally if he will stay. it was about a rumour that he will take up an offer from geelong.
I think that’s part of it though. Closer to his family and away from the city. Without what has happened I thought he would ask for a trade at the end of the year if we continued with our crap form. Hopefully now form isn’t the reason for leaving but there could be another reason.

GOAT with a game-high 17 disposals in the 2nd half (most of which I imagine were in the last quarter and a half).

His 26 overall disposals were at 88% efficiency and he had a game-high 9 score involvements and two score assists.

So glad they stuck with him and dropped Dunstan instead- no offence to him. Has so much more potential upside- not to mention flexibility.

Last edited:
Anyone got footage of that terrible decision on the not paid deliberate out of bounds in the third quarter? I thought that was a shocker.

If you can give me a rough time stamp I can look at getting footage of any moment from the game tonight after I knock off

I think Lonie having to do it the hard way over the last few years will be the best thing for him. He looks like the hungrier little campaigner out there right now.

Similar to Billings. A lot of people were up in arms about him being dropped last year but it's clearly done him wonders.

He was a small kid ( for an AFL player, not among us humans), but each year he'll be bigger and stronger. Having to hit above his weight at this age will only make him better in future.

After listening to all the Hawthorn supporters carrying on about how inexperienced and undermanned they were, I looked up the age and games played breakdown between the teams. They had nine 150 gamers playing while we had Nathan Brown. Imagine having that many experienced players and calling yourself "young".

View attachment 655131
Haha, that's hilarious! 9 to 1!

Looking at Scully running around and considering what hawks paid for him is ridiculous. They got Scrimshaw for peanuts too. I wonder how they manage to pull these trades every year..

I think they inherited Scully's huge salary as well which was a risk, but it turns out he made it onto the track quicker than Hannebrey. Scrimshaw is the real bargain given he is a projected midfielder also. They would have to be concerned about Wingard though he was very poor on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a small kid ( for an AFL player, not among us humans), but each year he'll be bigger and stronger. Having to hit above his weight at this age will only make him better in future.

I remember before we drafted him seeing him playing (I think TAC cup) and he was in a punch on with two ruckman sized opponents. He had them running away from him, it looked funny as. Always been a little hard man.

DAMIEN BARRETT - wrong decision.
NO BARRETT u stkilda hating *****

MIRRA DRAGGED THE BALL IN.
LONIES LATER WAS FUMBLED FALLING IN BALL - NO PRIOR

LEARN THE FING GAME YOU TWAT

The whole discussion was stupid. Two different types of incidents. Mirra dragged it in, correct decision made, and Lonie kicked the goal. If Lonie's incident is holding the ball, which I don't believe it was, big deal. If the decision was paid Hawthorn get a free kick from the back pocket, and go nowhere with it. The Lonie non-decision cost them nothing, and is one of 100 decisions or non-decisions made every game that is a 50:50 or 60:40.

Anyway, Barrett is starting to jump on our wagon, so I would rather he make these stupid comments and remain our mortal enemy (as my 10yo would put it).

Lol, for all this immense crying about Hawthorn being down to 2 on the bench and so-on for a chunk of the game, I just looked at the TOG numbers and Hawthorn only had two who played less than 70% of the game.

Frawley played 31% and Stratton 60%.

While for us McKenzie played 33% and Parker (went off with a big limp in the 2nd quarter, but eventually returned) played 66%.

So from a purely rotations POV both sides were in almost identical positions and apparently Hawthorn actually had more rotations than us, so it's little to no excuse.

The biggest shift IMO and arguably the most important, is the change of mindset paradigm.

This is immense. And whoever is responsible deserves credit.

I suspect a lot has been player driven with the proper guidance from the coaching panel.

The lack of leadership both on and off field last year was an indictment on the entire club without exception.

What these kids are doing is incredible. When they got their run of 4 goals I thought we were done for the day. Proved me wrong on a big way.

It reminds me of a young team on a mission. Keep that attitude and the skills and execution will come.

Not saying we are contenders, but at minimum, if carry this form all year, we will be a mid table 10 to 6th spot team.

Imagine if we had Steven, Robbo and Jake fit and firing?

We will no doubt lose games along the way, but we won't die wondering.

The biggest shift IMO and arguably the most important, is the change of mindset paradigm.

This is immense. And whoever is responsible deserves credit.

I suspect a lot has been player driven with the proper guidance from the coaching panel.

The lack of leadership both on and off field last year was an indictment on the entire club without exception.

What these kids are doing is incredible. When they got their run of 4 goals I thought we were done for the day. Proved me wrong on a big way.

It reminds me of a young team on a mission. Keep that attitude and the skills and execution will come.

Not saying we are contenders, but at minimum, if carry this form all year, we will be a mid table 10 to 6th spot team.

Imagine if we had Steven, Robbo and Jake fit and firing?

We will no doubt lose games along the way, but we won't die wondering.
Yeah I thought in the preseason that if enough went right for us we could get right back to being at least as competitive as we had been in 2016/2017, but the way we've started and our draw being on the easy side just makes you wonder how good we could have been, if we were at or near full strength.

With the evenness of the comp and an easy draw we might have even given top 4 a shake if we had a fit and firing Stuv, Hanners, Snake and Robbo out there.

Long was pretty impressive, not big stats but we need quick outside players who can impact a game. Shame about the hairdo though.
Was very influential in the first quarter and into the 2nd, but died right out of it as the game wore on.

Disposals per quarter were 5, 3, 2, 1, so will hopefully be better for the run.

Will be bloody good if he starts putting in 4 quarter games down the track.

Yeah I thought in the preseason that if enough went right for us we could get right back to being at least as competitive as we had been in 2016/2017, but the way we've started and our draw being on the easy side just makes you wonder how good we could have been, if we were at or near full strength.

With the evenness of the comp and an easy draw we might have even given top 4 a shake if we had a fit and firing Stuv, Hanners, Snake and Robbo out there.

All depends. Our passion and effort will take us only do far and we will be limited from our lack of experience.

That said, stay on this trajectory and who knows?

One thing for certain is that we need our stars playing well or for some players to emerge as bona fide stars this year.

I think the forwards have been pretty good so far this year. The Hawks look to have isolated and trapped Bruce and Membrey obviously thinking that it would snuff out our scoring. Last few years it would have worked. We still work back in numbers and the Hawks always kept a pretty much 3 man set up when we sometimes didn't have a single forward in our front 50. We flood back in a running wave and usually it's only a few forwards arriving to an already set up back 6. Players like Sicily just cut across in front and pick off the entries. Our forwards then are very good at locking up the ball in our forward half using mids and backs to block up space. Our tall forwards don't have to kick 5 goals, they use their athleticism to work up and down the field.

Astute observation.
We won yesterday off the back of sheer fitness.
Hawks hit the wall before 3/4 time and we kept going.

I thought we were nuts playing slow possession ball in the first half- but now i think it was a deliberate ploy to conserve energy to run like mad in the 2nd half.

We nearly let it go too far giving them a 4-5 goal lead, but i think it's a solid plan.

Lethers was right about our fitness being right up there with the best in the league- i like that we seem to be using it in a much smarter way this year.

When you do the AFL ladder predictor and go by the obvious teams winning by obvious margins and us only losing the really obvious ones we go top 4. It's a very good draw the way teams are currently tracking. You can get a good draw and have teams on the improve make it a hard draw, but this one seems to have been a genuinely easier one. Having softer Hawks and Essendon teams has made the hard part of the draw look much more appealing too.

Beat Melbourne (which we have had a good record against) and we are going to be looking like finals is a definite possibility. Obviously a lot depends on us maintaining the rage though.

Last edited:
When you do the AFL ladder predictor and go by the obvious teams winning by obvious targets and us only losing the really obvious ones we go top 4. It's a very good draw the way teams are currently tracking. You can get a good draw and have teams on the improve make it a hard draw, but this one seems to have been a genuinely easier one. Having softer Hawks and Essendon teams has made the hard part of the draw look much more appealing too.

Beat Melbourne (which we have had a good record against) and we are going to be looking like finals is a definite possibility. Obviously a lot depends on us maintaining the rage though.

Yeah that's my concern that some of our kids will run out of steam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back