Changes v West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

The talk of a 5 day break is so over rated, Chris Scott has said the players really don’t care (some prefer it - less training)

We are talking maybe 4 players, not the whole side. Give them extra recovery work today less training and they will be fine. No issues.

To not have at least 4 changes after the piss weak effort is totally unacceptable. Need a strong response from the coaching group. Shame we have a piss weak senior coach.

Should be told step up or your in the SANFL

But that won’t happen, so it’s pointless discussing it.
Here i was thinking that Wines would have a Travis Boak 13 like start to his captaincy, but it has been awful. The shoulder must be still troubling him, so he only has himself to blame.

Can we just reinstate Boak as the skipper.

Ryder hasn't fired a shot since 2017.

No change

Oh man. Read this and just thought ‘yup, not even funny anymore.’ Even the sarcasm is too much.

KH: ‘let’s give these guys a chance to respond’

How about let’s make a statement about what is acceptable?

Motlop out for Mayes.
S.Gray out for Marshall, despite the 3 goals no defensive pressure for a small forward isn’t acceptable.
Howard for Lienert - shame as Howard is starting to slowly find form.
DBJ for Hartlett or Broadbent if either is truly ready, which I’m not sure they are.

Trengove the emergency.

I would be demanding a response from Wines and Westhoff.

I would give the young lads another opportunity but have Atley, Farrell and Johnson ready for a run if they don’t bounce back this week.

Oh man. Read this and just thought ‘yup, not even funny anymore.’ Even the sarcasm is too much.

KH: ‘let’s give these guys a chance to respond’

How about let’s make a statement about what is acceptable?

Motlop out for Mayes.
S.Gray out for Marshall, despite the 3 goals no defensive pressure for a small forward isn’t acceptable.
Howard for Lienert - shame as Howard is starting to slowly find form.
DBJ for Hartlett or Broadbent if either is truly ready, which I’m not sure they are.

Trengove the emergency.

I would be demanding a response from Wines and Westhoff.

I would give the young lads another opportunity but have Atley, Farrell and Johnson ready for a run if they don’t bounce back this week.

KH: ‘let’s give these guys a ANOTHER chance to respond’

Sulking or just being cautious?

Same thing I think - he was cautious because he just cost himself $2k. And he's at a stage of his football career where $2k still has the intrinsic value that non-football players attach to it.

Ryder has been a bust, honestly. Maybe if he wasn't suspended for a year I'd look back more favourably but I reckon he's underdelivered over the journey.

Lycett has already been a better pickup overall.

I still think getting him was the right decision, and what we paid was an absolute bargain. It's just all the decisions surrounding Ryder that have been really poor.

Not having a backup plan in 2016.

Playing a gameplan that didn't allow us to be successful during Ryder's prime.

Forcing a 31yo Ryder to carry the entire marking forward load for the team despite that being identified as a bad strategy 5 entire years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think getting him was the right decision, and what we paid was an absolute bargain. It's just all the decisions surrounding Ryder that have been really poor.

Forcing a 31yo Ryder to carry the entire marking forward load for the team despite that being identified as a bad strategy 5 entire years ago.
Our backup plan for 2016 should’ve been to tank like Essendon did, let’s be honest.

I'm still a bit bitter about the fact he played probably his worst game for us in the one final we've been involved in too.

Our backup plan for 2016 should’ve been to tank like Essendon did, let’s be honest.

Here's a hypothetical series of events.

We rookie list a state league ruckman in the 2016 preseason.

Ryder gets suspended, we elevate that ruckman and he plays all season, servicably enough that he holds the spot down.

Jackson Trengove remains in defence, his best position and one where his performances earned him a John Cahill medal. He remains the cornerstone of the defence throughout that season. Because he's still pretty good, we never take him out of defence, which means he never becomes a tall Paul Stewart style jack of all trades, he retains his competitive defensive acumen.

Because he's a defensive gun, we build the new defence around him, Jonas and Clurey and never move him to forwardline in 2017. He then never becomes obsolete and doesn't leave the club.

Potentially in 2017, we put more forward line games into the likes of Brett Eddy, or on his return from injury, Dougal Howard, who we leave up forward because we don't suddenly need a tall defender.

Trengove remains a leadership force in the locker room, and his best friend at the club Chad Wingard doesn't fall into the downward effort spiral that saw him leave the club. We not only have Chad Wingard, we have a committed Chad Wingard.

We're suddenly a better team on every line. We still get Rozee and Butters because Polec's situation doesn't change. We still get Lycett because he wanted to come home anyway.

Same thing I think - he was cautious because he just cost himself $2k. And he's at a stage of his football career where $2k still has the intrinsic value that non-football players attach to it.

This is part of why I'm not a fan of fines as a punishment for individuals, either in the AFL or anywhere else. Scott Lycett and Zac Butters both copped $2,000 fines last week, but Lycett has a guaranteed $3m on his contract after having probably already earned himself a few million over his career, whereas Butters has just left high school and has a contract guaranteeing him $150k or so. It's the same punishment for both of them on paper but it's not in reality.

Here's a hypothetical series of events.

We rookie list a state league ruckman in the 2016 preseason.

Ryder gets suspended, we elevate that ruckman and he plays all season, servicably enough that he holds the spot down.

Jackson Trengove remains in defence, his best position and one where his performances earned him a John Cahill medal. He remains the cornerstone of the defence throughout that season. Because he's still pretty good, we never take him out of defence, which means he never becomes a tall Paul Stewart style jack of all trades, he retains his competitive defensive acumen.

Because he's a defensive gun, we build the new defence around him, Jonas and Clurey and never move him to forwardline in 2017. He then never becomes obsolete and doesn't leave the club.

Potentially in 2017, we put more forward line games into the likes of Brett Eddy, or on his return from injury, Dougal Howard, who we leave up forward because we don't suddenly need a tall defender.

Trengove remains a leadership force in the locker room, and his best friend at the club Chad Wingard doesn't fall into the downward effort spiral that saw him leave the club. We not only have Chad Wingard, we have a committed Chad Wingard.

We're suddenly a better team on every line. We still get Rozee and Butters because Polec's situation doesn't change. We still get Lycett because he wanted to come home anyway.

This won’t fit in two lines, so it can’t possibly be a Sliding Doors scenario.

This is part of why I'm not a fan of fines as a punishment for individuals, either in the AFL or anywhere else. Scott Lycett and Zac Butters both copped $2,000 fines last week, but Lycett has a guaranteed $3m on his contract after having probably already earned himself a few million over his career, whereas Butters has just left high school and has a contract guaranteeing him $150k or so. It's the same punishment for both of them on paper but it's not in reality.

This is a genuine issue for fines in the legal system too.

any threat of Ryder or Wines delivering something this weekend?
Marshall playing will help, but Hinkley should be telling Ryder to put himself forward for selection when he's not needing the helmet. Play Ladhams as second ruck in the interim (until Billy is back and/or Ryder is willing to contest).

Exactly. The one year where we had Ryder firing on all cylinders he won the Best and Fairest and was the All-Australian ruck. Both years before and after that we've really messed up with him.

I'm a bit worried about the pace of Petruccelle exposing us. I don't think we have anyone who can go with him. DBJ is quick but he's not a lock down defender type.

I went and watched AFLX last February, and yes its mickey mouse, but he played for the Eagles in 2 games and he just went flat out at everything and I thought, s**t if this kid makes it in a couple of years time, the West Coast have found another Peter Matera or Chris Judd blistering speed type player. Not saying he will be as good as them but he has speed and acceleration like they did.

I have seen highlights of his last 2 games and he has used that speed very well in those packages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back