Rolling World Cup squad thread

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gee wiz, handscomb has been absolutely shafted there. He absolutely should be in that team given recent form. He can also provide an option as a keeper if we are willing to risk a few extra runs/catches in the field for more runs with the bat. I think I would have taken stoinis out, you don't need him and NCN going. 2 pace all-rounder, plus Maxwell and finch who can roll it over, is too much imo.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It might seem stiff for Handscomb, but it's not really. Khawaja and SMarsh are ahead of him in line. You can make a case that he could be there instead of Lyon or Stoinis, but they aren't competing for the same spot. Once the selectors decided they wanted two spinners and an all-rounder, he was done.

It might seem stiff for Handscomb, but it's not really. Khawaja and SMarsh are ahead of him in line. You can make a case that he could be there instead of Lyon or Stoinis, but they aren't competing for the same spot. Once the selectors decided they wanted two spinners and an all-rounder, he was done.
I would argue that he's been harshly done by the selection of 5 quicks

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I would argue that he's been harshly done by the selection of 5 quicks
Maybe, but given the fragility of most of them, it makes sense. I think we will primarily play three of them, with the option to mix it up at times. I reckon you'll find all five will play at some point. I reckon there's less need to two spinners than five quicks.

Would rather Handscomb batting than Stoinis, but unfortunately we need muscles bowling.

Rather pick Mich Marsh over Stoinis anyway, at least Marsh doesn't take 30 balls to do something!

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Decent squad - Handscomb definitely unlucky. Did all he could do to get picked.

Lyon very lucky.

The five quicks might be excessive.

To me, 15th position would have been decided between Lyon, Handscomb and the fifth quick.

usually yeah but wasn’t he in god awful form all summer though?

He's been okay in the last few weeks. I'd rather game on Marsh turning it on (you don't get to where he was in ODI cricket unless you are talented), rather than Stoinis who lets be frank makes all his runs in losing games...good reason we win when he gets out early, doesn't waste 6 overs getting in!

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
I think Lyon will play more matches than some of you think. He gave us a lot of control through the middle overs during the ODIs in India and UAE which is seen by the fact he went for 4.77rpo during those tours when the rest of our bowlers went at 5.55 whilst also chipping in a wicket a match.

You've also got to consider that ODIs in England aren't swing bowler dominate anymore firstly due to the white Kookaburra not swinging and secondly they've basically been producing roads in ODI cricket for the last 4 years.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
imho his technique won't hold up in england against the swinging ball. He is ok on the slow low tracks where he can play back but not in england.

Two kookaburra balls on highways I don't think we will be seeing much help for the quicks in this world cup.

It's going to be about which teams can turn fast starts into 350 scores and even then will 350 be safe?

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
Australian Men’s World Cup Squad:
  • Aaron Finch (c)
  • Usman Khawaja
  • David Warner
  • Steve Smith
  • Shaun Marsh
  • Glenn Maxwell
  • Marcus Stoinis
  • Alex Carey (vc)
  • Pat Cummins (vc)
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Jhye Richardson
  • Nathan Coulter-Nile
  • Jason Behrendorff
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Adam Zampa
Smith lucky , white ball form not good

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can see this squad taking it right up to India and the other contenders.

Shame for Handscomb, but #16 and #17 on the pecking order were always going to be 'unlucky'.

It is one of the crap things about sport.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Australian Men’s World Cup Squad:
  • Aaron Finch (c)
  • Usman Khawaja
  • David Warner
  • Steve Smith
  • Shaun Marsh
  • Glenn Maxwell
  • Marcus Stoinis
  • Alex Carey (vc)
  • Pat Cummins (vc)
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Jhye Richardson
  • Nathan Coulter-Nile
  • Jason Behrendorff
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Adam Zampa
Smith lucky , white ball form not good
Not sure you can call the best modern cricketer Australia has seen 'lucky'. Form is temporary.

Not sure you can call the best modern cricketer Australia has seen 'lucky'. Form is temporary.

This and he looked good in most innings in the IPL anyway already has a 50.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
Australia’s 15-man World Cup Squad: Aaron Finch (capt), David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Jhye Richardson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jason Behrendorff, Adam Zampa, Nathan Lyon.
Australia A four-day squad: Tim Paine (capt), Marcus Harris, Kurtis Patterson, Will Pucovski, Travis Head, Peter Handscomb, Matthew Wade, Mitch Marsh, Michael Neser, Jon Holland, James Pattinson, Jackson Bird, Josh Hazlewood (vc), Chris Tremain.
Australia A one-day squad: Travis Head (capt), Matthew Wade, Will Pucovski, Peter Handscomb, Ashton Turner, Mitch Marsh, D’Arcy Short, Kurtis Patterson, Ashton Agar, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Josh Hazlewood (vc), Kane Richardson, Sean Abbott.

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This and he looked good in most innings in the IPL anyway already has a 50.
really..? some people are calling him the most out of shape international batsman in the IPL. Btw someone mentioned that he's still only throwing under arm cause of the surgery? can someone confirm. Although this shouldn't be a problem when the WC starts.

really..? some people are calling him the most out of shape international batsman in the IPL. Btw someone mentioned that he's still only throwing under arm cause of the surgery? can someone confirm. Although this shouldn't be a problem when the WC starts.

He threw fine last game albeit I haven’t watched them field much. Smith looks fine with the bat, bare in mind he’s batting at 4-5 where he gets less chances for a big score. He made the most of one of them and made 50+ on a tough pitch.

I think the squad is good, Handscomb is the only extremely unlucky omission imo.
Yeah this, Handscomb’s the main unlucky omission and if any bats need replacing due to injury he’s the obvious man to bring into the squad. Was always seemingly going to be one of him, Khawaja or SMarsh and given the form Usman has been in along with SMarsh to an extent recently (but also generally in ODI cricket in the last 12 months) he was the easiest to cut.

Back