Winx is a Goat

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cannot believe how many negative posts I have seen. Never seen Phar Lap but can go back to Tulloch. Winx is the best ever Aussie followed by Black Caviar I cannot comment on overseas horses. You cannot query 33 in a row (after saturday, 25 group 1's and 4 cox plates).
Only question is the quality of the opposition but she has made good horses look second rate, run times and won when it did not look possible.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Cannot believe how many negative posts I have seen. Never seen Phar Lap but can go back to Tulloch. Winx is the best ever Aussie followed by Black Caviar I cannot comment on overseas horses. You cannot query 33 in a row (after saturday, 25 group 1's and 4 cox plates).
Only question is the quality of the opposition but she has made good horses look second rate, run times and won when it did not look possible.
Gee thats negative to Phar Lap and Black Caviar. Poor form

Gee thats negative to Phar Lap and Black Caviar. Poor form

Yeah he says Black Caviar is the second best horse he has ever seen and he never saw Phar Lap - really putting them down there :rolleyes: how does he sleep at night.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The 'quality of opposition' argument is such a beat up.

Why wasn't Frankel's quality of opposition ever questioned?!

It shouldnt be. He is an all time great. He beat some very very good horses. Cirrus des angles, excellebration etc ...

But so has Winx. Benbatl, Highland reel are just as credentialed as those horses. Not to mention some of the very good Australian trained horses. I have no doubt that Happy Clapper and Hartnell could have won races overseas if they had ever gone (back in Hartnell's case - she had already won quality races overseas before coming to Australia).

There is a question mark about never going overseas - Frankel also never left Britain before being retired as a 4 year old. I have no idea about which horse would have won if they had ever raced. But the point is, the quality of opposition thing is only a debate with winx.

If people overseas, and some in Australia, thinks the racing is so ordinary here ... well bring your horses here and take the millions of dollars being handed out for our 3rd rate Group 1s.

Last edited:

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah he says Black Caviar is the second best horse he has ever seen and he never saw Phar Lap - really putting them down there :rolleyes: how does he sleep at night.
Yet you get offended when arguments are presented to say Winx isn't GOAT. Good enough to say Black Caviar isn't GOAT, its good enough to say Winx isn't.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't understand how any racing fan could watch her gap Hartnell in about 3 seconds flat on her way to romping in the 2016 Cox plate without getting goosebumps.
The 2016 CP is the peak performance for mine.

Hartnell leading into that race was easily winning its lead up races. If my memory serves me correctly, Hartnell had won the Turnbull by 5 lengths and entered the CP well in commission.

She put him to the sword. Think we actually underrate Hartnell as well. Hes a very good wfa distance horse. Hope he runs second to her today to stamp her greatness.

Yet you get offended when arguments are presented to say Winx isn't GOAT. Good enough to say Black Caviar isn't GOAT, its good enough to say Winx isn't.

I only get offended when people (like you) put up ludicrous/illogical arguments.

The 2016 CP is the peak performance for mine.

Hartnell leading into that race was easily winning its lead up races. If my memory serves me correctly, Hartnell had won the Turnbull by 5 lengths and entered the CP well in commission.

She put him to the sword. Think we actually underrate Hartnell as well. Hes a very good wfa distance horse. Hope he runs second to her today to stamp her greatness.

Yup - he'd won his previous three starts by 8 lengths, 6 lengths and 3 lengths (flogging Jameka who bolted in a Caulfield Cup next start) then went on to run 3rd in the Melbourne Cup.

She beat him 8! (#beatsnothingthough)

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hartnell is a shade of his 2016 milkshake form and still very strong at WFA. was in absurd form. obviously didn't go to his best but she still toyed with him.

CP#2 or doncaster for mine.

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The '17 George Ryder is right up there for me. Powered through the mud better than I have seen any horse. Came off the back of connections toying with scratching her because of the wet too

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I question her opposition as well, and am hugely disappointed she never went overseas. But I've also seen all her runs, and can't fathom how anyone can watch her and not see that she would do that to just about any horse ever. Hard, soft, or heavy; missing the start three lengths; coming 5 wide from 800 out; average rides; nothing has stopped her for four years and the reason for that is because she is an absolute freak.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Winx is goat and has some great records. But i completely understand, people will be biased towards their favourite horses, and that's fine like Frankel and Cracksman etc.

I'd also say Winx has been the most enjoyable personality to watch, the style of hanging back and then passing everyone at high speed down the straight, the colour blue, the fanfare and atmosphere around it all. The only close call and she wins from behind by a nose at Warwick 17'..

Then the highlights, winning by 8 lengths and the 2016 cox plate, genius.

Just watch this!!!!

2014 at the Guineas'

It's all just perfect really. Looking back at it all. Like poetry.

The '17 George Ryder is right up there for me. Powered through the mud better than I have seen any horse. Came off the back of connections toying with scratching her because of the wet too

Agreed - a clear #2 on my list given that she flogged the Grey Cat who was laughable unders :D

Watts4Dinner

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2012
Licking Vince’s Date.
AFL Club
Geelong
Let us begin our confessions with the day I backed Entirely Platinum to beat her in an Epsom (looking back he was slaughtered by Berry and should have won easily)

He was placed once more at a subsequent 11 starts (3rd to Miss Rose De Lago and Jacquinot Bay) and she has fallen in for another 28 wins

Still believe it was a good bet........

LOL. Get in the sea. EP was flogged.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Despite whatever people think about GOAT horse and all that she’s definitely going to leave a massive hole in racing.

Probably one of the main reasons I started to really get into racing. Her first two Cox plate wins were something to behold, particularly the 2016 one when I remember there being a fair bit of noise around Hartnell. One of the all time great moments when Winx and Hartnell take off together but Winx just leaves Hartnell for dead heading around the bend.

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Despite whatever people think about GOAT horse and all that she’s definitely going to leave a massive hole in racing.

Probably one of the main reasons I started to really get into racing. Her first two Cox plate wins were something to behold, particularly the 2016 one when I remember there being a fair bit of noise around Hartnell. One of the all time great moments when Winx and Hartnell take off together but Winx just leaves Hartnell for dead heading around the bend.

I still to this day, am not indebted to any other living creature than Hartnell, and the dickheads hyping him, for giving me the gracious odds of $1.80 on a horse that was by all measurable statistics, approximately 8-10 lengths better than him.

Mind you I'd been backing her all year, at everything from like $10 down to $2.50, but the $1.80 on the day was a nice little bonus.

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Hartnell was a deserved 4-1 shot on that day. He had won his races by 6 and 8 lengths then demolished the Caulfield Cup winner on route. If you want to thank anyone thank the punters who made a number of genuine 50s+ chances about 15-1

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Hartnell was a deserved 4-1 shot on that day. He had won his races by 6 and 8 lengths then demolished the Caulfield Cup winner on route. If you want to thank anyone thank the punters who made a number of genuine 50s+ chances about 15-1

So you rated Winx a 4/1 shot of dying then.

She was gross overs and he should have been $11 or something.

He had an immeasurable amount of ground to make up based on their previous meetings.

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
So you rated Winx a 4/1 shot of dying then.

She was gross overs and he should have been $11 or something.

He had an immeasurable amount of ground to make up based on their previous meetings.

Cbf arguing about something after the event but Hartnell was a different horse that prep and deserved to be as short as $5 based on what he had just done in the Turnbull

Cbf arguing about something after the event but Hartnell was a different horse that prep and deserved to be as short as $5 based on what he had just done in the Turnbull

Given Kem the Cat once started close to $5 against Winx Hartnell should have been a $2.10 shot based on the form he was in at the time ;)

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Highland reel she faced once and he was first up on a tight track which would be firmer than anything he had stepped foot on before. Would have liked to see her do that at royal ascot or Dubai World Cup night.

Sensational horse and the second best I’ve seen in the flesh but connections and trainer are complete squibs
I was suspended so I’m only responding to this now. Would you take a champion horse you owned overseas and risk injury and future preps for a big race overseas? I wanted Winx to go overseas but squibbing it is a bridge too far. They kept her in Australia because it was nearly guaranteed that she would win them another $15m.

Back