Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 4 points - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure. I remember thinking when Scott walked out at three-quarter time, "Surely he'll fix this."
When you have a whole group of younger players though, it's hard to know whether they were following instructions properly or not.
They'll learn.
In the meantime, I think I'd like to see Narkle back in, and maybe Cam Guthrie.
We need more pace and more risk-takers.
Narkle won't replace anyone down back. Maybe Guthrie, but I think he has yet to consistently prove his worth as an attacking back. How about just tapping the two guys mentioned on the shoulder and giving them a bit more licence to take on the game. Blicavs has already gifted a few goals with attempted dinky kicks that really would gave gained nothing anyway. They both often hold the ball too long as well. Not saying they should lose their places though.

Has anyone blamed the umpires?
Think if you took the time to read the thread you'd find most Geelong supporters are giving credit to the Giants for how they played while lamenting how poorly our side played. So what is the point of your post? Just doing a sly troll post perhaps?

And it is spelt whine, wine is what you must have been drinking. I'm guessing straight out of the bag would be your style
Wine is what he will be drinking celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the toe poke.....

Lol at people suggesting that Guthrie is the answer

These people are either emotional or don't understand what Guthrie brings to the team - not much.

Guthrie said in the Addy today he wants to play midfield, seems to consider himself one although happy to play a role. It's ridiculous. "I might put my hand up" to play? Might? What is that? No confidence at all.

This is him in a nutshell, he knows he's no midfielder, even if he wants to be one. Has played like someone with no confidence for years, someone who keeps being told he's great (GFC fail), though anyone with a clue knows he isn't.

Could well be the worst player in club history to play 200 games, if he gets there.

That's an interesting point I'd not thought about before - what is the origin of the "cut of (their) jib" phrase?

a 'jib' is a sail on an old ship, i believe... it has something to do with that. liking the shape of their sail, for whatever reason a sail shape is likeable.

a 'jib' is a sail on an old ship, i believe... it has something to do with that. liking the shape of their sail, for whatever reason a sail shape is likeable.
Many of our sayings are derived from our seafaring heritage
Change tack
Taken aback
Hard and fast
Shake a leg
Loose cannon
Cut and run
In the offing
To name a few....All dying out I'm afraid

These people are either emotional or don't understand what Guthrie brings to the team - not much.

Guthrie said in the Addy today he wants to play midfield, seems to consider himself one although happy to play a role. It's ridiculous. "I might put my hand up" to play? Might? What is that? No confidence at all.

This is him in a nutshell, he knows he's no midfielder, even if he wants to be one. Has played like someone with no confidence for years, someone who keeps being told he's great (GFC fail), though anyone with a clue knows he isn't.

Could well be the worst player in club history to play 200 games, if he gets there.
I don't blame the club. I blame Guthrie himself. Clearly drinks his own bath water and has been happy with himself for a number of years. The hair, the strut, the celebrations when scoring a goal. Thankfully he has stopped working at that ice cream store. Still can't believe we put this bloke in our leadership team.

Having Guthrie back in the team will be a giant step backwards and will go against everything we are trying to achieve.

Narkle won't replace anyone down back. Maybe Guthrie, but I think he has yet to consistently prove his worth as an attacking back. How about just tapping the two guys mentioned on the shoulder and giving them a bit more licence to take on the game. Blicavs has already gifted a few goals with attempted dinky kicks that really would gave gained nothing anyway. They both often hold the ball too long as well. Not saying they should lose their places though.
Yep. Might be jumping the gun.
And it's not as if the older players played a blinder.

Many of our sayings are derived from our seafaring heritage
Change tack
Taken aback
Hard and fast
Shake a leg
Loose cannon
Cut and run
In the offing
To name a few....All dying out I'm afraid

luckily for you, freo seemed to just cram them all into their club song! theyll never die now...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hair, the strut, the celebrations when scoring a goal. Thankfully he has stopped working at that ice cream store.

+ Judd jumper incident. One of the most embarrassing 'WTF' moments I've seen while watching AFL. But yeah, it was another 'look at me' moment for Guthrie as with those you've mentioned. Even the Cold Rock exercise was an attention grabber.

'Look at me, go on, look!'

There’s two sources for this phrase: one is as per the the end here being the bow sail known as the jib. A ship well sailed seen from afar could be determined by the setting of the jib which often determined the speed relative to the wind.
The other one is that each country had a particular jib style. Through a telescope and seeing your countries jib style was good otherwise it meant a foe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There’s two sources for this phrase: one is as per the the end here being the bow sail known as the jib. A ship well sailed seen from afar could be determined by the setting of the jib which often determined the speed relative to the wind.
The other one is that each country had a particular jib style. Through a telescope and seeing your countries jib style was good otherwise it meant a foe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
When I was young, a "jib" was someone who was less than enthusiastic about physical contact on the footy field, eg "Jibs to the backline" (a League Teams special), or "he jibbed it".

Last edited:
Can anyone remember when on Foxtel you could have 3 options on way you could listen to the game
1 Crowd
2 Umpires
3 just normal with commentary.

Maybe we should start a petition to bring this back
I see this kind of post several times a season. The broadcasters won't do it because they know what the numbers will look like if they did.

I love the Sav, and I do but I think he needs a run in the VFL... Try either Buzza or Fort.. He needs to find form in the VFL.

Sav is our best option by a long way. He is not that far off. Is getting his hands to a lot of ball in marking contests, will start taking those marks soon. My view is we just need to consistently play him and get games into him at the senior level. We need to get him to 50-70 games as quickly as possible. This may mean playing him at times when some would rather he was dropped but we just need to perservere with him. He has only played 12 games and even though he is down he is still competes at a high level and hits packs hard.

Now finished watching the game (ie. the bad bit). As I said early in this thread, we dominated the first half and should have put them away so I was surprised when I checked the scores and found we had lost.

Not enough has been made of the key reason for the loss: we were absolutely smashed in winning the ball - centre clearances (8-14) and contested (119-131) and uncontested possessions (183-251). I can’t remeber seeing a team find space on our narrow ground so well against us.

It was also evident in the individual possession count. The top 5 winners on the ground were all GWS:

CAA24B5C-1057-4755-A280-A99ED2685363.jpeg

Our best was Duncan with 26!

Our two best mids had 17 and 9 respectively.

It was quite simply a shocking midfield performance.

The good news is, that sort of lightning is unlikely to strike twice. To have so many of our best mids play that badly and so many of theirs play so well is very unlikely to be repeated.

And after all that we only lost by 4 points! Could easily have still won playing so badly. That’s a very good silver lining.

While I’m disappointed not to take the opportunity to go 4-0, this is an extremely open year and we are right up in the mix with the best teams which I wasn’t expecting when the year started.

Not enough has been made of the key reason for the loss: we were absolutely smashed in winning the ball - centre clearances (8-14) and contested (119-131) and uncontested possessions (183-251).

Totally agree. This was a game where the raw numbers around centre clearances and possessions (contested and uncontested) were entirely consistent with what I remember seeing (and lamenting) on the day.

Once the Giants started to win the ball in close, they got it to the outside way too easily. And to players who were then under almost no pressure. Which led to neat F50 entries that gave our defensive unit little chance.

The comparison between their fluid ball movement after half-time and our sporadic and haphazard 'blazing away' to the forward half under serious pressure was stark and alarming.

Also agree that, given the nature of the midfield massacre after the main break, it was quite staggering that we didn't get rolled by much, much more.

So if the midfield group stands up again this week (as they did in all three earlier matches), I think we have every reason to believe we can match it with the Hawks in every other department.

What! Rohan with Rioli? Not in the same stratosphere. You really need to take off the Cat spectacles.:)

And I do like what Rohan has added to the club.

I’m kind of taking the piss...and seeing what response I get from lurking hawk supporters

I liked watching Cyril, and I am liking what Rohan is doing at the moment. They’re both like a couple of lunatics running around in the forward line.

Sav is our best option by a long way. He is not that far off. Is getting his hands to a lot of ball in marking contests, will start taking those marks soon. My view is we just need to consistently play him and get games into him at the senior level. We need to get him to 50-70 games as quickly as possible. This may mean playing him at times when some would rather he was dropped but we just need to perservere with him. He has only played 12 games and even though he is down he is still competes at a high level and hits packs hard.
I understand what you mean, but there 2 sides in that as well... You just can't keep playing him a game if his not performing while there are similar people who plays like him and could be performing the same role getting in the best in the VFL and can't get a game as we are playing Sav all year, how would you feel if you were a Buzza, Kreuger, Fort, and can't get a game regards your form been,.

I understand what you mean, but there 2 sides in that as well... You just can't keep playing him a game if his not performing while there are similar people who plays like him and could be performing the same role getting in the best in the VFL and can't get a game as we are playing Sav all year, how would you feel if you were a Buzza, Kreuger, Fort, and can't get a game regards your form been,.

Trouble is none of the VFL guys have played with the eye catching, convincing form needed to put themselves front and centre of the MC as a viable alternative that would bring an improvement to the team vs Sav

Remove this Banner Ad

Back