Can Richmond still be a contender this season?

Where will Richmond finish at the end of the H&A season?

• 1-4

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • 5-8

Votes: 60 45.8%
  • Miss Finals

Votes: 45 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing is I don't think it's a commitment thing, purely because of the prelim last year. Surely the boys would have been putting in 100% in a prelim. I just reckon th3 best midfields have us covered but our pressure allows us to beat good midfield
We could very easily be the next Geelong, good enough during the year but not against the best.
Gotta have faith, that Prelim was one out of the bag we had some ill players and were well off our best.
The beauty is it looks like we have unearthed some kids that can play in the middle and get plenty of the ball.

Yep, theyre not top four but beat Melb first up and are probably a three goal better side at home than at the g.
We pinched it but stiff sh.t if we win another two on the road this year thats three more than last year.
At the end of the H/A there’ll be about 4/5 teams with a real expectation of winning it.
I reckon we’ll be one of em, we just gotta get at least two wins where we really pump em by 8-10 gaols and get the percentage better than average

We did win ONE “on the road” last season ... against Gold Coast Suns.
I was there.

Gotta have faith, that Prelim was one out of the bag we had some ill players and were well off our best.
The beauty is it looks like we have unearthed some kids that can play in the middle and get plenty of the ball.
It wasn't 1 put of the bag, 3 of 4 games were like that. No use sticking our head in the sand hoping it will change, we have real problems against quality midfields

It wasn't 1 put of the bag, 3 of 4 games were like that. No use sticking our head in the sand hoping it will change, we have real problems against quality midfields
Thats where the current injuries may be a blessing in disguise, if the kids like Ross step up as they did on Sat. then we may have the answer to our problems.

Our greatest problem towards the end of last year in my mind was a big drop in intensity and pressure, something we rediscovered for the last 3 quarters on the weekend.

Not anymore. Enter Ross, Balta and Caddy. We had none of this size and back up in the middle against Coll and Bolton and Baker up forward would have provided more pressure. We’ll be much better next time we play them. Nank matched Grundy for 3/4 but was too tired in the last. Balta would help alot

Worked for Collingwood and gws. They picked us apart through the middle playing like that. You give good teams 100 more disposals and you're not gonna do well most the time. Port are s**t.

Pies didn't actually get us through the middle at all until the last 10-15 mins. They worked it around the sides and then kicked long from 80 into packs for most of the game. It was actually once the game opened up in the last 15 mins they actually looked dangerous. The biggest issue in that game was that our game plan (which is essentially creating forward half pressure, then turnovers, then goaling on the rebound) was not evident at all. There was no forward half pressure.

In the GWS game, the pressure/intensity was a little better but poor skills/discipline combined with being down a man really cost us. We certainly got the forward 50 pressure right on Sat night. The skills coming out of the back half were still average at times but we were the youngest team across the comp last week so you'll get that. It was nowhere near as poor as the Carl/GC game or the Adel/Nth game.

It isn't that teams have worked us out - it's that we haven't been playing good pressure footy. Possessions can be quite meaningless. GWS had 60 more than us in the prelim and we pumped them by 7 goals (until the final siren). It depends on where those possessions are and how much pressure they are under in disposing of it - which v the Pies was mainly in the back half but with zero pressure which is unacceptable for us. I certainly don't want to see us allowing teams to have that much possession though - it means we don't have the pill.

Pies didn't actually get us through the middle at all until the last 10-15 mins. They worked it around the sides and then kicked long from 80 into packs for most of the game. It was actually once the game opened up in the last 15 mins they actually looked dangerous. The biggest issue in that game was that our game plan (which is essentially creating forward half pressure, then turnovers, then goaling on the rebound) was not evident at all. There was no forward half pressure.

In the GWS game, the pressure/intensity was a little better but poor skills/discipline combined with being down a man really cost us. We certainly got the forward 50 pressure right on Sat night. The skills coming out of the back half were still average at times but we were the youngest team across the comp last week so you'll get that. It was nowhere near as poor as the Carl/GC game or the Adel/Nth game.

It isn't that teams have worked us out - it's that we haven't been playing good pressure footy. Possessions can be quite meaningless. GWS had 60 more than us in the prelim and we pumped them by 7 goals (until the final siren). It depends on where those possessions are and how much pressure they are under in disposing of it - which v the Pies was mainly in the back half but with zero pressure which is unacceptable for us. I certainly don't want to see us allowing teams to have that much possession though - it means we don't have the pill.
The way i currently see it, it's easier to get possession of the ball in the fat part of the field, its the widest area and harder to counter...
It get's harder to have the more damaging possessions that can potentially earn you goals at the pointy end of the field...the play is more congested it's flooded with players...the playing area is reduced...it's just plain harder!
So of course if your defense is pretty good the oppo is playing to your strenghts...so of course oppo possessions mount up...and if they fail to capitalize and score it then they become meaningless possessions...
Wobbles started this sheet with Malthouse as coach and naffun as his assistant...full forward press with Cloke up front...till oppo defenses cracked...

Once again this year, Richmond’s game style is in the minority. Most teams have moved to boring possession football, whereas Richmond and a few others are playing fast, forward-movement football. As someone who likes to go to games of football, I’m glad my team is playing fun, interesting football. As to which game style will win out this year, who knows? But we were close against both Collingwood and GWS, and beat Port (who just beat the premiers).

I’m really looking forward to this year! Especially JACK ROSS!

Once again this year, Richmond’s game style is in the minority. Most teams have moved to boring possession football, whereas Richmond and a few others are playing fast, forward-movement football. As someone who likes to go to games of football, I’m glad my team is playing fun, interesting football. As to which game style will win out this year, who knows? But we were close against both Collingwood and GWS, and beat Port (who just beat the premiers).

I’m really looking forward to this year! Especially JACK ROSS!

It looks like its us, Bombers and Port who are fully committed to pressure and fast footy - pies have shown they can switch from both styles.

With JReiwoldt out with a possible knee injury...I'm back to one game at a time at the moment...nervoursly watching our younger guns in Captain Crunch, Higgo, Ross, Baker, Balta keeping our Finals run a distinct possibilty till our injured 'guns' in both Jack and Cotch return...
Exciting times Tiger Heads!!!

Aim for top 4. I think we’ll beat pies next time. Baker and Bolton give us extra pressure up forward. Our midfield is a lot bigger with Ross, Caddy and Balta playing back up ruck. All 5 were missing last time. We also have Stack now too. No one will get past him :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At first I wasn’t sure if we’d make finals. I was prepping myself to enjoy watching how our kids go this season with no expectations on the team. Now I expect we’ll finish in the top 8 and may be a smoky to be top 4 again.

You reckon? Slippery night and players were going in hard. Melbourne were desperate and we blew them away. Thought it was a very good performance
It was very error ridden through the middle and we struggled to be effective going forward. 85 points from 71 inside 50s. That performance wouldn't have stood up against the pies or dons the next day, or other quality teams. It will be good enough against junk teams, we can only hope we play enough of them of make finals.

Can't take much from last night yes we won but it was hardly an outstanding performance
We can take heaps out of that game. Beat a desperate team which was close to full strength without Cotchin, Rance and Grigg, with minimal impact from Martin, Lynch and Reiwoldt, we saw the continuing emergence of real talent and intent from Stack, Ross, Baker, we saw Grimes and Vlaustin become the backline generals in the absence of Rance, we saw us control the game to the extent that Melbourne kicked two goals after quarter time, we saw B Ellis lay eight tackles and continue his resurgence, we went 4-2 and set ourselves up for the rest of the season.
But hey, it wasn't a perfect performance.

We can take heaps out of that game. Beat a desperate team which was close to full strength without Cotchin, Rance and Grigg, with minimal impact from Martin, Lynch and Reiwoldt, we saw the continuing emergence of real talent and intent from Stack, Ross, Baker, we saw Grimes and Vlaustin become the backline generals in the absence of Rance, we saw us control the game to the extent that Melbourne kicked two goals after quarter time, we saw B Ellis lay eight tackles and continue his resurgence, we went 4-2 and set ourselves up for the rest of the season.
But hey, it wasn't a perfect performance.
I'll take any win this time of the year...how ever ugly or imperfect! Stay in the race for the GF anything can happen! Just ask the mighty Steve Brabury!

It was very error ridden through the middle and we struggled to be effective going forward. 85 points from 71 inside 50s. That performance wouldn't have stood up against the pies or dons the next day, or other quality teams. It will be good enough against junk teams, we can only hope we play enough of them of make finals.

I tend to agree it wasn't a stellar showing, but Melbourne parked the bus and often had two spare behind the ball. When Collingwood did that to us in the first half of Round 2, we couldn't get the ball back off them. Not sure if we learnt that the Demons skills aren't much good or if our pressure was better - probably a bit of both.

The Jack and Tom partnership hasn't had a chance to gel yet so there is a lot of comfort that without Jack out we know how to play with one good tall forward..
Young guys are looking amazing

Back