Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Old Stuckup

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 76s, Stars
Contenders: Geelong, West Coast, GWS, Collingwood, Richmond
Smokies: Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne
Likely mid/lower sides: Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Sydney, North Melbourne, Carlton

Black Saab

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Naaah

We have no reason to fear you this year. I get your backline probably won't be in dissaray in round 17. Hartwig really blinked against us though and it's hard to turn around a big loss in the H/A season. It doesn't often happen.
Huh? What do you mean it's hard to turn around a big home and away loss?

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Do you mean that because the Giants beat the tigers by 49 points it will be hard to turn that around the next time we play at home 3 months later? Surely not?
Lol I agree, it was a stupid comment. We have turned around big losses to Adelaide twice in the past two years. Collingwood turned it around with us last year as well. Would’ve thought it actually happens quite regularly. St Kilda in 2017 with us is another example.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol I agree, it was a stupid comment. We have turned around big losses to Adelaide twice in the past two years. Collingwood turned it around with us last year as well. Would’ve thought it actually happens quite regularly. St Kilda in 2017 with us is another example.
One of the more ridiculous things I’ve read on here, be a bit different if you are playing them the following week although that’s been known to happen but weeks or even months later at a different ground? The previous meeting would have little to no bearing on the outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Also you can begin to see strength of schedule now. While it's still early every single game WCE have played so far has been against current top 8 sides. Now some might well drop out (Brisbane or Freo) but at the moment you would consider them at least decent sides.

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles - MUFC
Contenders: Geelong, West Coast, GWS, Collingwood, Richmond
Smokies: Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne
Likely mid/lower sides: Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Sydney, North Melbourne, Carlton
Not sure how you can have essendon as a smokie and not St Kilda when they beat you with about 5 of their top 10 players out.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Not sure how you can have essendon as a smokie and not St Kilda when they beat you with about 5 of their top 10 players out.
Because Essendon have a far, far deeper list than St Kilda. Sure, you beat them, but nobody is buying that St Kilda are a better chance at winning the premiership than Essendon are, except perhaps St Kilda supporters.

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Because Essendon have a far, far deeper list than St Kilda. Sure, you beat them, but nobody is buying that St Kilda are a better chance at winning the premiership than Essendon are, except perhaps St Kilda supporters.

Well that’s a perception whether it’s fact or not is yet to be seen, essendon haven’t done anything with their list that show me they are a premiership contender and until they do I’m not sure they can be a smokie.... I’d be more inclined to drop them down to the mid table teams at the moment to be honest!

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Well that’s a perception whether it’s fact or not is yet to be seen, essendon haven’t done anything with their list that show me they are a premiership contender and until they do I’m not sure they can be a smokie.... I’d be more inclined to drop them down to the mid table teams at the moment to be honest!
Which comes from a place of 'why them and not us?' as opposed to looking at Essendon in isolation.

Their list makes them a smokie regardless of what they have or have not done. I don't like it either, I hate the Bombers, but I need to accept that they tick a lot of the boxes.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Opinions on whether a team is a premiership contender is about more than wins and losses this early in the season, or which team has beaten which. Some teams will have a good start to the season, but the general consensus may be that the list simply isn't strong enough. Gold Coast are 3-1 for the season, but I bet most pundits would still have them outside the top 8.

Early analysis of lists definitely had Essendon as finals chances and St Kilda as likely bottom eight. It takes time to change perceptions.

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Which comes from a place of 'why them and not us?' as opposed to looking at Essendon in isolation.

Their list makes them a smokie regardless of what they have or have not done. I don't like it either, I hate the Bombers, but I need to accept that they tick a lot of the boxes.
Don’t get me wrong on paper their list looks good! But coaching, structure and playing style all comes into it, their best is great and their worst is horrible... a really good side doesn’t have such a gap between their best and worst in my opinion, that’s why jury is out on them for me! Just my opinion.

Old Stuckup

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 76s, Stars
Don’t get me wrong on paper their list looks good! But coaching, structure and playing style all comes into it, their best is great and their worst is horrible... a really good side doesn’t have such a gap between their best and worst in my opinion, that’s why jury is out on them for me! Just my opinion.
Which is exactly why I and many others consider us a smoker and not a genuine contender.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
We all got sucked in by The Crows, expecting them bounce back after a terrible 2018 season.

Why isn't Pyke playing kids like Greenwood and Fogarty, I'll never know, there seems a rigid staleness to their squad right now, he gotta start giving the kids a go, I don't think The Crows have to bottom out or rebuild at all, just do a slight list renovation for a couple of years (bit like what Buckley did at the Pies)

Back