Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Name me a player besides the 26 year old Tim Kelly from the 2017 draft that is worthy of being picked ahead of Naughton on recent form?
There is recent form and then there is established form and Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan prolly win out over Naughton on both but am not the one rating them, it all is subjective, which is why you shouldn't be demanding top billing when Naughton has been given a mention in most top10s. Did I say anything about him not going to be a great player? I don't take kindly to being called names for having an opinion.

Puopolo 0.5 goal a game . Naughty 1.5 goal a game so far
Yeah i mean i am not at all sure how Poppy is relevant to the thread... Also Poppy is fringe best 22 at the moment so probably not a good comparison to make either...

There is recent form and then there is established form and Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan prolly win out over Naughton on both but am not the one rating them, it all is subjective, which is why you shouldn't be demanding top billing when Naughton has been given a mention in most top10s. Did I say anything about him not going to be a great player? I don't take kindly to being called names for having an opinion.
Liam Ryan and Tim Kelly are the players you’re using for your argument? The two mature aged players playing in elite sides. Naughton is the #1 KPF playing the hardest position on the ground and leading the league in contested marks. With terrible delivery coming inside 50.

Best performed players from this draft so far are pretty clearly Kelly, Stephenson, Ryan and Naughton. Richmond fans might say Higgins I guess but I don't think he's been in the category of those four.

Having said that I'd still be taking Rayner at 1. Naughton tempting but we have decent key position prospects and desperately needed a match-winning half forward/mid. Might take Cam longer to build up the required fitness base but still very confident he'll get there.

Liam Ryan and Tim Kelly are the players you’re using for your argument? The two mature aged players playing in elite sides. Naughton is the #1 KPF playing the hardest position on the ground and leading the league in contested marks. With terrible delivery coming inside 50.
Except he isn't.

Best performed players from this draft so far are pretty clearly Kelly, Stephenson, Ryan and Naughton. Richmond fans might say Higgins I guess but I don't think he's been in the category of those four.

Having said that I'd still be taking Rayner at 1. Naughton tempting but we have decent key position prospects and desperately needed a match-winning half forward/mid. Might take Cam longer to build up the required fitness base but still very confident he'll get there.

Sam Taylor says hi.

i like to watch this draft as a bit of a value gauge.
This was the first draft i recall essendon heavily trading out of for players.

Pick 11 bought Smith and half of stringer (plus Mosquito)

Balta, Ryan, Spargo, Daniel, Taylor - on the radar for the first Stringer pick
Fritsch, Constable, Petrucelle and Worpel for the second

Fogarty, Richards, Higgins & Kelly for the Smith pick (and one of the guys above too)

I think we did ok trading out of this draft. I can't have seen us taking the punt on Kelly early, or Fogarty given the flight risk.
no one else sings out as better investments for those picks just yet.

i like to watch this draft as a bit of a value gauge.
This was the first draft i recall essendon heavily trading out of for players.

Pick 11 bought Smith and half of stringer (plus Mosquito)

Balta, Ryan, Spargo, Daniel, Taylor - on the radar for the first Stringer pick
Fritsch, Constable, Petrucelle and Worpel for the second

Fogarty, Richards, Higgins & Kelly for the Smith pick (and one of the guys above too)

I think we did ok trading out of this draft. I can't have seen us taking the punt on Kelly early, or Fogarty given the flight risk.
no one else sings out as better investments for those picks just yet.

Not a fan of continually trading out of drafts though.

Hopefully some of our later picks can come on prevent us from opening up a hole in our list demographic.

Not a fan of continually trading out of drafts though.

Hopefully some of our later picks can come on prevent us from opening up a hole in our list demographic.
i think we're ok.
Take the team from the weekend - If thats our best 22 (clarke out for Daniher), that leaves Francis, Laverde, Langford, Mutch, Stewart, Jok, BZT, Draper, Mynott, Houlahan, Gown, Mosquito and Dylan Clarke as our depth. With Stewart and McKernan as the more known AFL quantities in reserve too.

trading out of 2017 for the most part, and first rounds of 2018 and 2019 for Shiel, Stringer and Smith is decent business.
I doubt we trade this heavily in picks again anytime soon though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worpel definitely makes this draft a success for Hawthorn although still happy with the progress of Ross & Moore despite limited AFL exposure(none for Ross).

Geelong & West Coast definitely ahead in this draft although it’s early days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back