Autopsy Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Haha, I love watching him do that sort of stuff so much.

Took the ball past 7 Hawks in a couple of seconds.

And we’ve seen him to this on a number of occasions when given the opportunity. As you said, took the ball past 7 players, which meant Hawthorn were dreadfully exposed out the back with a 3rd of their team left on their haunches. Pity Gresham fluffed the kick.

Acres isn’t a Cripps contested bull he’s a first receiver that you want your grunt player scooping it out too. He’s just so cool in traffic & can really turnaround defence into offence.

I agree with joffa in a sense though, he does need to be more consistent & I think he will once his body stops failing him. It rarely gets mentioned that he’s had a fairly long list of injuries which hasn’t provided him the chance to gain continuity over full seasons.

Apex predator is the Pink Panther.

Stupid question, but did he change his boots halfway through the game?
I didn’t notice the pink earlier in the game. ( or maybe he was just running too fast? :D)

Love the way he just rolls the Hawthorn bloke off the footy, just after he'd practically punctured his lung! :laughing:

Not wise to dawdle when you're being hunted by a panther

Just watched the game. Absolutely fantastic effort.

Obviously Ross was huge for us but gee i loved the game of Newnes. He had big moments time and time again. Crucial clearances

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Love the way he just rolls the Hawthorn bloke off the footy, just after he'd practically punctured his lung! :laughing:

Yep I love seeing that sort of tough unsavoury football. We are a much better side when we bring that attitude to games and would like to see Young get a game before much longer for exactly that - attitude!

Just watched the game. Absolutely fantastic effort.

Obviously Ross was huge for us but gee i loved the game of Newnes. He had big moments time and time again. Crucial clearances

Lonie as well. Knew he was immense with his pressure but didn't really see the amount of time he spent helping to mop up down back, did some very important spoils down there late in the game as well. Very very good game.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
It rarely gets mentioned that he’s had a fairly long list of injuries which hasn’t provided him the chance to gain continuity over full seasons.
Yep, he's had some bad ones, a pretty nasty knee injury that required surgery and a bad case of OP. That's pretty much 2 seasons ruined since he started.

Luckily, he is genetically gifted with his tank, coming from a fine stable of middle and long distance runners meaning he handles midfield workloads really well. It's why he often has big last quarters as well too and seems pretty calm out there, he's not constantly gassed like Dunstan.

This will only get better the more and plays and (hopefully) stays injury free.

Greg1853

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Coaches votes went something like this:

Coach 1:
5. Ross
4. Billings / Marshall
3. Lonie
2. Sicily / Scully
1. Henderson / Sicily

Coach 2:
5. Ross
4. Marshall / Billings
3. Lonie
2. Scully / Sicily
1. Sicily / Henderson

Both agreed that Ross, Lonie & Sicily were in the best 5. Interesting that only one (of each coach) had Marshall & Billings in the top 5. One coach had Henderson & Scully, who were lucky to make top 5 IMO.

I would’ve had it:
5. Billings
4. Ross
3. GOAT
2. Lonie
1. Newnes

Acres seemed to change the game. I thought he was the spark in the third quarter that seemed to be in a lot of crucial contests & scoring chains.

Not necessarily correct. I think there is a solid chance Billings got a 1 and a 3, with Marshall a straight 4. For that to happen the votes would be:

5 Seb Ross
4 Jack Lonie
3 Billings
2 Scully
1 Henderson

5 Seb Ross
4 R Marshall
3 Sicily
2 Jack Lonie
1 Billings

Who knows who is right, but the numbers add up, and it shows that it is possible that Billings got in both coaches votes. Makes sense, as he should have been.

Middle of the third, I think?
I'll put the replay back up and see if I can spot it.
Any other noteworthy events just before or after that might help me single it out?

If anyone else can chime in with a better idea of when this was - Lonie weaving through traffic - please let me know :)

Stupid question, but did he change his boots halfway through the game?
I didn’t notice the pink earlier in the game. ( or maybe he was just running too fast? :D)

I thought he started in pink but had switched to salmon after the injury.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
And we’ve seen him to this on a number of occasions when given the opportunity. As you said, took the ball past 7 players, which meant Hawthorn were dreadfully exposed out the back with a 3rd of their team left on their haunches. Pity Gresham fluffed the kick.

Acres isn’t a Cripps contested bull he’s a first receiver that you want your grunt player scooping it out too. He’s just so cool in traffic & can really turnaround defence into offence.

I agree with joffa in a sense though, he does need to be more consistent & I think he will once his body stops failing him. It rarely gets mentioned that he’s had a fairly long list of injuries which hasn’t provided him the chance to gain continuity over full seasons.
Last sentence is a fair point.

DT_35

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Denver, Liverpool
giphy.gif

Lol even Hardwick started running towards where the mark would’ve been for deliberate. Absolute bulls***. No Hawk within 40 metres of that

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll put the replay back up and see if I can spot it.
Any other noteworthy events just before or after that might help me single it out?

If anyone else can chime in with a better idea of when this was - Lonie weaving through traffic - please let me know :)
Unless it was another Lonie dance, I thought it was quite early. The one that I’m thinking was definitely to the end where we kicked 1st and 3rd qtrs. I thought it was the first. Maybe centre-wing-ish?

Does anyone actually think that free kick paid to Lonie at the end was there ?
Also that free kick not paid for deliberate out of bounds against the Hawk defender who running out of defence looked up and saw only Saints players so he kicked it straight to the boundary line . I watched the three umpires all look at each other then one called throw it in . There wasnt a Hawks player within 30 metres of the boundary . One of the worse non decisions of the year so far .

Don’t Panic !!

Does anyone actually think that free kick paid to Lonie at the end was there ?
Also that free kick not paid for deliberate out of bounds against the Hawk defender who running out of defence looked up and saw only Saints players so he kicked it straight to the boundary line . I watched the three umpires all look at each other then one called throw it in . There wasnt a Hawks player within 30 metres of the boundary . One of the worse non decisions of the year so far .

Don’t Panic !!

Look at post #664 and #667 of this thread for the deliberates not paid. Those along with the non-mark paid, the 50 metres before half time... The Hawks certainly weren't hard done by.

But yes, he dragged it in.

Back