Changes v West Coast Eagles

Apr 1, 2009
Here's a hypothetical series of events.

We rookie list a state league ruckman in the 2016 preseason.

Ryder gets suspended, we elevate that ruckman and he plays all season, servicably enough that he holds the spot down.

Jackson Trengove remains in defence, his best position and one where his performances earned him a John Cahill medal. He remains the cornerstone of the defence throughout that season. Because he's still pretty good, we never take him out of defence, which means he never becomes a tall Paul Stewart style jack of all trades, he retains his competitive defensive acumen.

Because he's a defensive gun, we build the new defence around him, Jonas and Clurey and never move him to forwardline in 2017. He then never becomes obsolete and doesn't leave the club.

Potentially in 2017, we put more forward line games into the likes of Brett Eddy, or on his return from injury, Dougal Howard, who we leave up forward because we don't suddenly need a tall defender.

Trengove remains a leadership force in the locker room, and his best friend at the club Chad Wingard doesn't fall into the downward effort spiral that saw him leave the club. We not only have Chad Wingard, we have a committed Chad Wingard.

We're suddenly a better team on every line. We still get Rozee and Butters because Polec's situation doesn't change. We still get Lycett because he wanted to come home anyway.
Ignoring all the hypotheticals, the idea that Trengove (and Impey) leaving the group triggered Chad to go too reflects a level of entitlement and over-comfort in the list which is a massive black mark against Hinkley in itself. That's a festering sore that developed under his watch and I'm really worried it's going to sprout up again if we don't can the campaigner soon.

Certainly he's no Scarlett, but he was more than serviceable under the slingshot gameplan in 2014. Competitive, good decision maker, knew his limits and played in a way that minimised them being exposed.

Could have he held down a spot in our defence? Over the likes of Hombsch or Howard?

He could have held down a spot, sure, but we wouldn't have done anything. I'd rather Howard who could actually turn into a gun defender if he gets his confidence up.

DBJ needs to go. He caused one goal getting half sucked into a contest, not influencing it and allowing his player 5 metres on the outside to receive and run into an open goal.

Then a half hearted slip causing another goal and there was a few more. I actually noticed him more than Bonner to be honest and I’d push him out first because of that.

Even though I’m a perceived Westhoff bully him and Motlop we’re going with the lazy one hand out half arsed efforts to tackle which what me to tears also. I reckon Motlop is injured, I could seeing a considerable limp in the third quarter coming off and on.

I'm perfectly fine with both Bonner and Byrne-Jones out of the team.

JUSTWORK

Aug 25, 2013
Midfield is getting a bit of heat from coaches and media tonight.

As they should. Boak and Rocky being the exceptions.

No one else should be safe, Drews mark and late goal were great but didn't do heaps outside that. SPP no where near it. Wines still not delivering.

Can't have all those three in the same side.

No one else should be safe, Drews mark and late goal were great but didn't do heaps outside that. SPP no where near it. Wines still not delivering.

Schofield put heat on Rocky in his 5AA interview. He said he needed to concentrate on making sure his touches actually had purpose and not just racking up stats for the sake of it.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
A guy around the magpies 3 qtrvtime huddle yesterday said he got access after the game (dunno how, but......) and said be prepared to see Motlop playing maggies this week. Maybe one other "name".
We await with anticipation!
It wouldn't surprise me if its R Gray.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

JUSTWORK

Aug 25, 2013
Schofield put heat on Rocky in his 5AA interview. He said he needed to concentrate on making sure his touches actually had purpose and not just racking up stats for the sake of it.

Interesting, nothing wrong with pressure on him to improve where possible especially as one of our most senior players.

Generally all his little s**t/hack kicks find targets, was going at 100%DE for a fir chunk of the Richmond game. if they release a team mate and keep us moving thats alright. He got in the coaches votes.

Ive got faith in Schofield.

Smithy7

10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland

Drew's game was OK .. You could name a lot of senior players who never went as hard as he did.

It won’t be Robbie Gray but he’s wearing thin. It could be a cast of about 6 really

DBJ
Bonner
Wines I hope so as he’s not fit and throwing our balance out
Westhoff
RGray
Ebert is another
Motlop

Take your pick

Lienert
Farrell
Marshall
Garner

Come on down and show us how it’s done

Lawnchair Larry

Apr 1, 2015
If it is wet then the gods are working against Marshall again.
He has to come in, but we may need to cut him some slack.
Im up for it.
Nine changes!

Out: Drew, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Motlop, Wines, Jonas, Bonner, and DBJ.
In: Marshall, Farrell, Trengove, Mayes, Lienert, McKenzie, Broadbent, Garner, and AJ.

Giving the kids a rest, and dropping others due form. Boak to captain the team for the game:

Paddy Ryder, Robbie Gray, Brad Ebert
Sam Gray, Todd Marshall, Kane Farrell
Scott Lycett, Tom Rockliff, Travis Boak
Justin Westhoff
, Jack Trengove, Sam Mayes
Jarrod Lienert, Dan Houston, Ryan Burton

Trent McKenzie, Matthew Broadbent, Tom Clurey

Interchange: Sam Powell-Pepper, Dougal Howard, Joel Garner, Aidyn Johnson

Emergencies: Drew, Rozee, Butters, Duursma

Love quoting Shakespeare on a footy blog site Gremio:
"If this be madness, yet there be method in it."

davo999

Nov 5, 2009
Aldinga Beach
Maybe not this week but I haven’t ruled out AJ improving his skill set enough to come back in . They’re very valuable those guys with extreme pace just for those one or two brilliant things they can do in a game , he does seem to have lifted his skills a bit and he sure applies pressure .

JUSTWORK

Aug 25, 2013
Maybe not this week but I haven’t ruled out AJ improving his skill set enough to come back in . They’re very valuable those guys with extreme pace just for those one or two brilliant things they can do in a game , he does seem to have lifted his skills a bit and he sure applies pressure .

Not only does he have that extreme pace, but is also really tough. Hits the contest really hard, loves to throw his weight around. Did an awesome job on McGovern last year.

Really hopeful that he comes good.

porttoport

Feb 27, 2017
Motlop and Bonner need to be dropped. soft..
Being called soft is one of the worst things you can be called on the football field. Absolutely ****s me off no end when it's a 50/50 ball and our players reach for the ball ect instead of just growing a pair of balls see the ball get the ******* ball.
When I played I hated being beaten in a contest. I did not care if you were 6ft5 100kgs the ball is mine and if you get in the way I'm gonna make you hurt.
Desperation. Will to win. Never giving up. You **** your kick/handball up you work twice as ******* hard to win it back.

In: guys with heart will to win.
Out: pretenders.

You do have to field 18 don't you

ROBBBO

Mar 17, 2014
Glasgow Rangers
For me
Out: Westhoff Wines Motlop
In: Marshall Lienert Farrell
Play Bonner on a wing

IN: Lienert, Marshall, Broadbent, Farrell
OUT: Wines, Motlop, Byrne-Jones, Duursma

Mayes held back as emergency. Pudney, Garner and Ladhams the other 3 emergencies as a sign that they are on the right track.

Young Gun #6

May 24, 2008
Juventus, Suns

Mayes held back as emergency. Pudney, Garner and Ladhams the other 3 emergencies as a sign that they are on the right track.

Duursma would have to keep his spot over Butters who looks like he could do with a rest.

Duursma outside of that miss was one of our better players and seems like he can play anywhere on the field.

Bonner replaces for Duursma for me, and I'd play Mayes ahead of Farrell but I liked what you wrote about indicating to the 3 young players they are on the right track.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Love quoting Shakespeare on a footy blog site Gremio:
"If this be madness, yet there be method in it."
I had never heard that quote before. It describes me too well for my own liking, I must admit. :straining:

Thanks!