• Jack Ross

Votes: 227 79.4%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Stack

Votes: 48 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahaha check back with me in 12 months legend. 😂😂😂 But in all honesty as much as I’m meant to hate you blokes was good seeing you guys bury Adelaide in the GF a couple years ago for all my long suffering tiger mates. And absolutely destroy the Adelaide football club to the point they’re now almost where we are. So for that I thank you guys

I like this guy

Interesting to see how we use Garthwaite this year. Was he just dropped last week because Port don't have a big forward line. Any chance of coming in this week?

Have another look at the first qtr. Plenty of run from the guy. Sacrificial stuff too. Good marking, good spoils, good kicking. In fact as he played backline, it might be hard to drop him for Dusty. Sure for Houli. I just rewatched it to focus on the potential dropped player. Baker, George both played extremely well; Bolton good, Balta's intercept great. No one deserves to be dropped.
Yes im talking about sprinting. He can use his speed a lot more, not just run and carry.

People were hoping the Tigers would rookie draft Grimes and very happy when we did can it was one of the many weak spots on the list then, and Grimes looked close to the best available. Had a few negatives in his draft reports; kicking skills, possession numbers but lots of positives too

Most people thought his injuries a travesty because he was playing very well and showed a remarkable ceiling - glimpses of current day grimes

That doctor that fixed him deserves a statue
The main reason Grimes continually did hamstrings early in his career was because he gave 110% effort. He kept overstretching himself to make the contest and paid the price.
After a few years when he was once again injured the club saw fit to put him in the leadership group despite being off for the remainder of that season. Now that is foresite for you and look what we have as a result...
Dylan Grimes is a humble person and a fierce competitor. Exactly the sort of guy you want at your footy club.
I can't remember if we picked him up in the preseason draft or the rookie draft but Melbourne had the pic right before us and Dylan's brother was captain of Melbourne at the time. Make of that what you will

Plenty wrote him off though.
To be fair it did same touch and go there for a while because he continually got injured. I remember thinking after his first string of games that he was exactly the player we needed and if his body would hold up he would be a gun. Our defence was very poor back then so I think a lot of us were hoping like mad that it would work out.
Of course the naysayers take the easy route by just writing him off

Just on this, I know there can be and has been some poor posting at times against players that wasnt warranted.

However a lot of the time the criticism some players copped in the past was warranted due to poor performances.

That's just how it was and people called it how they saw it.

Luckily players develop and grow which gives improved performance which people then comment on accordingly.

How boring would it be if we just pat each other on the back constantly and didn't challenge something or someone that could be improved on?
Absolutely. I do get bored with misguided criticism though. It's lazy, dummy spitting posting and thank goodness there is a blocking option on this site because God knows I wouldn't be here otherwise

The 2009 draft is probably Melbourne's biggest nightmare.

Not only did they miss Dusty with Picks 1 & 2, but they had first pick in the pre-season draft. They had Jack Grimes (drafted 2007) who to be fair, at that stage was looking like a future gun (they eventually made him Captain). And look! His brother's in the pre-season draft! We've got Pick! I mean, surely........

Poor old Richmond missed out on future-millionaire-but-decidedly-average-footballer Joel McDonald, and were left with Jack's obviously not-very-good younger brother, Dylan. Thanks Dees!

(Still, Melbourne did eventually do one thing right - the Grimes' boys have good family genes, so when Jack was playing out his last year in the magoos at Melbourne, he suddenly got a call-up for two late-season senior games - and finished his career on 100.)
Haha that's a great write up. While we're at it let's not forget that GoDees also picked James Frawley one ahead of Jack Riewoldt in 2006

Nah it was a dreadful kick, I reckon Broad fumbled because he was shocked at how bad the kick was.

Still love Kmac though, has improved heaps this season and will get better.
Certainly not a great kick but it did go straight to Broady who let it clean bowl him between his legs. I thought only Troy Chaplin was capable of such a feat. 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad to say i could see what Sheds brought to the table early on.Like the side back then wasn't often enough but i guess when your an Ostrich and your surrounded by Turkeys it was always going to be the case.
Could understand posters frustrations in regards to Sheds(To a point)& as a club/team thats for sure.
Glad those days are in the past(For good hopefully).
I remember sheds first few games. He didn't get a lot of the ball but he Never missed the target.

Liam Baker is impressive.
He has the ability to find the correct positioning in space and anticipates the next disposal, which is the mark of a good player.
If push comes to shove, he can replace Higgins.
Isn't it ironic that Fremantle spent good $$$ luring Reece Conca yet Liam Baker would be so much better for them. We took him from right under their noses

Isn't it ironic that Fremantle spent good $$$ luring Reece Conca yet Liam Baker would be so much better for them. We took him from right under their noses

I cannot see Higgins losing his spot. Just has the desired level of consistency and will to prevent being dropped unless he has a stinker. Has an impact in the midfield, can kick goals when one is need and defends as well. Simply bring too much to the table to be dropped plus his development opportunity bonus is another reason we should be giving him more games at the highest level

I am not sure what happens if certain players came in as Ellis was better, Menadue was handy and I liked Baker's game on the weekend even though I feel he seems more limited than others.

This is what I would do if the following were coming in.

If Dusty was just coming in normally I would take out Baker because I cannot really see enough versatility in his role in the sense he is not a backman and is more of a link player compared to Ellis who can play back and wing. However, due to Jack Ross's impact I am more inclined to put unlucky Ellis back for Dusty because of the following reasons.
1. One I am really curious about the synergy in the midfield and carry forward of last weekend. Baker played very well in this regard and deserves recognition and I am interested to see if it can be reproduced against different opposition and we can learn something from this combination to improve our play going forward.
2. Because we played particularly well in the midfield considering the outs I want to bottle that and see if that can be reproduced as well. So much so, as a measure of endorsement I would start with the combo versus Port at the opening bounce and put Dusty on the wing. I really want to see how our midfield can grow and develop and perform without Dusty and Cotch. Dusty can always go back in whenever but if the boys can extract and use the likes of Dusty on the spread from a wing position that makes him and us even more dangerous.
3. The first few weeks I felt we had issues between the midfield and forward line connecting . We seemed to have little issues in the game against Port in that respect. Can we do it again between the midfield and the forwards connecting again versus the Swans. Baker made an imprint in that regard so I am curious to see how Bakers inclusion versus the Swans goes in that regard. For the same reason I would be keeping Castagna to because I am interested to see how this mix goes again and here connection and effectiveness as a team versus different opposition set-up.
4. I would also like this successful mix improve the combination further if possible before Cotch and Dusty both come back to improve their own games and us as a team from the opportunity provided by the absence of our stars. If our mix can get better in certain areas through learning, experience and development and understanding, it means we may be able to play the likes of Dusty and Cotch elsewhere or in slightly different ways to make our overall team output far superior especially given the quality that can be provided from Dusty and Cotch.
If Houli was coming in I would take out Menadue I suppose but really it marginal. Stack must stay and the rest of the backline have the runs on the board not to lose their spots at the moment. If there was doubt on Houli I would be inclined to give him another week to get 100 percent tbh.

Last edited:
Why am i reading so many people questioning higgins?

Hes been good so far this season, in our top 10 for sure imo
Cause his not Higgins anymore. Where did all that enthusiasm go? Haven't seen him get excited at any stage this year like previous. He is playing ok and doing his job though seems to have matured quickly, I hear he has a girlfriend now maybe she told him to grow up hehe.:Do_O:eek:

I remember sheds first few games. He didn't get a lot of the ball but he Never missed the target.
Me too, looked like a fresh faced lil kiddie just out of school, playing against grown men, but he just had that touch of evasiveness about him till he got monstered...

I cannot see Higgins losing his spot. Just has the desired level of consistency and will to prevent being dropped unless he has a stinker. Has an impact in the midfield, can kick goals when one is need and defends as well. Simply bring too much to the table to be dropped plus his development opportunity bonus is another reason we should be giving him more games at the highest level

I am not sure what happens if certain players came in as Ellis was better, Menadue was handy and I liked Baker's game on the weekend even though I feel he seems more limited than others.

This is what I would do if the following were coming in.

If Dusty was just coming in normally I would take out Baker because I cannot really see enough versatility in his role in the sense he is not a backman and is more of a link player compared to Ellis who can play back and wing. However, due to Jack Ross's impact I am more inclined to put unlucky Ellis back for Dusty because of the following reasons.
1. One I am really curious about the synergy in the midfield and carry forward of last weekend. Baker played very well in this regard and deserves recognition and I am interested to see if it can be reproduced against different opposition and we can learn something from this combination to improve our play going forward.
2. Because we played particularly well in the midfield considering the outs I want to bottle that and see if that can be reproduced as well. So much so, as a measure of endorsement I would start with the combo versus Port at the opening bounce and put Dusty on the wing. I really want to see how our midfield can grow and develop and perform without Dusty and Cotch. Dusty can always go back in whenever but if the boys can extract and use the likes of Dusty on the spread from a wing position that makes him and us even more dangerous.
3. The first few weeks I felt we had issues between the midfield and forward line connecting . We seemed to have little issues in the game against Port in that respect. Can we do it again between the midfield and the forwards connecting again versus the Swans. Baker made an imprint in that regard so I am curious to see how Bakers inclusion versus the Swans goes in that regard. For the same reason I would be keeping Castagna to because I am interested to see how this mix goes again and here connection and effectiveness as a team versus different opposition set-up.
4. I would also like this successful mix improve the combination further if possible before Cotch and Dusty both come back to improve their own games and us as a team from the opportunity provided by the absence of our stars. If our mix can get better in certain areas through learning, experience and development and understanding, it means we may be able to play the likes of Dusty and Cotch elsewhere or in slightly different ways to make our overall team output far superior especially given the quality that can be provided from Dusty and Cotch.
If Houli was coming in I would take out Menadue I suppose but really it marginal. Stack must stay and the rest of the backline have the runs on the board not to lose their spots at the moment. If there was doubt on Houli I would be inclined to give him another week to get 100 percent tbh.
Make up your mind about Baker!!! Is he in or out?!?!?

Grimesy's last quarter was imo the best individual performance by a tiger defender I've ever seen.
I don't think I ever saw Rancy take as many contested grabs in the final 15 min of a game.
How he walked off that ground amazes me.
BOG x 10
It was an amazing performance!! Though I do recall Rance doing something similar against Sydney in round 23 2014, to get us into the finals. Having said that, I think that Grimes will now finally get the recognition he deserves and barring injury may earn his first all Australian guernsey this year.

Interesting to see how we use Garthwaite this year. Was he just dropped last week because Port don't have a big forward line. Any chance of coming in this week?
Gidday Dr A, IMO, I reckon they will go back to their original plan [before rancey and grimes were both out] play to full fitness with at least 5 to 8 games in vfl and impact 2nd half of season? [ffs- bye vfl this week] doesn't help, Cheers.

Back