Prediction Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

• 16th

Votes: 74 16.1%
  • 17th

Votes: 165 35.9%
  • 18th

Votes: 221 48.0%

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Which ones are you implying have reached there potential?

I think the point he's making is that SOS may have misread the potential of some of these players rather than it just being Bolton being the one that isn't developing them.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
None. I dont get the criticism of SOS. Love his balls in doubling down on the players he recruited at GWS who couldnt make it there.

SOS should have a job for life. Love his work.

You know I would’ve given you Kennedy and Pickett from the GWS crop. O’Brien and potentially even SPS at this early stage. Plenty of mature aged rookies he’s overestimated.

You instead chose to take a few easy likes from opposition trolls. Nice job.

Won just about every trade.
Matt Kennedy looks a bust

You picked up a number of giants spuds

2e trade as well

Drafting not great either

Matt Kennedy looks a bust

You picked up a number of giants spuds

2e trade as well

Drafting not great either

Lol. This is some outstanding analysis going on here.

I’d ask you to elaborate but I’m pretty sure that’s just going to be a waste of everyone’s time.

Mate - Richmon lose Rance, Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin and everyone is blathering on about how hard it will be for them - Carlton has had twice that number out for the last two years nearly and not a word about it.

Williamson, Kruzer, Pickett, Marchbank, Docherty, Lang, Curnow, Maccreadie, Tom DeKoning - and thats just this year - we had twice that last year including players like Cripps.

But nah - injuries aren't a concern for Carlton - only Richmond.

I'm not going to back away from the list issues at Carlton - we need another ruck and some small forwards - but the blatant reality is that our coach is a complete hack. Should of been gone at the end of last season.

He appears to be excellent at player development and team "bonding", along with an exemplary grasp of popular vernacular and pithy jingoism but has the tactical nouse of a fruit bat.

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt after last year with the insane injury list we carried - would have been utterly absurd not to. But the coaching display I have seen this year has been deplorable.

Quite frankly I honestly feel as though he has too much invested in growth and character development, important, but zero invested in reality checks and a few hard truths.
Really comparing injury lists or quality of players how many of them would actually get a game at Richmond or a contender

Rance
Jack
Cotchin
Houli
Short
Grigg
Caddy
Prestia
Townsend
Rioli
Butler

Have all missed games in the last two years all would be walk up starts for Carlton

Cripps and docherty probably the only two who start at Richmond. Curnow depends on opponent but he doesn’t get picked before jack or lynch

Lol. This is some outstanding analysis going on here.

I’d ask you to elaborate but I’m pretty sure that’s just going to be a waste of everyone’s time.
Go on then tell us how they’re all superstars ffs

I wouldn’t do that, because they’re not.

That all you’ve got?
Sos should come under heat for the poor job he has done but carlton fans are unable to call him out on it almost like the cult of hird

Gold Coast lost their two captains have lost gaj and Prestia have basically had to start from scratch and top up duds and they were still too strong for Carlton the blues are in shambles

Sos should come under heat for the poor job he has done but carlton fans are unable to call him out on it almost like the cult of hird

Again, there’s plenty of discussion to be had on the topic if you’re capable...

Gold Coast lost their two captains have lost gaj and Prestia have basically had to start from scratch and top up duds and they were still too strong for Carlton the blues are in shambles

....but this doesn’t give much confidence that you are.

Nor does suggesting Curnow doesn’t get a game at the Tigers but that’s for another day.

The result on the weekend had very little to do with Silvagni.

You’re all over the shop mate.

Again, there’s plenty of discussion to be had on the topic if you’re capable...

....but this doesn’t give much confidence that you are.

Nor does suggesting Curnow doesn’t get a game at the Tigers but that’s for another day.

The result on the weekend had very little to do with Silvagni.

You’re all over the shop mate.
I said he doesn’t get a game over jack or lynch. So not a walk up start which is true he would get some games but we don’t play 3 talls

I was responding to a carlton fan saying sos has won every trade he has done If that’s the focus no wonder there are no wins

I said he doesn’t get a game over jack or lynch. So not a walk up start which is true he would get some games but we don’t play 3 talls

No, you said it depends on the opponent. Scroll up and have a look.

I'm pretty sure you'd fit him in if he was a Tiger, regardless of the opposition.

I was responding to a carlton fan saying sos has won every trade he has done If that’s the focus no wonder there are no wins

And you responded with garbage, which I pointed out.

Not sure why you'd think it is the focus, what an odd thing to say. He was simply responding to your comment on Silvagni's performance.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
They need midfield support for Cripps.

LOB at this stage doesn’t look up to the level and needs a spell in the 2’s. Dow looks like he gets enough of it but burns it with his kicking.
Kennedy looks a solider as a second tier mid. Setterfield looks a contributor but needs time.
Lang is a retread pick, hopefully the last of this rebuild.
Walsh looks quality. Carlton fans have every right to be excited by this guy. Looks a star.
SPS drifts in and out of games. Hopefully he can start to influence them soon.
Cuningham hasn’t really stepped up to the level despite showing something up forward in half paced practice matches.
Gibbons is being played out of position as a forward so we can’t really gauge him. Perhaps Bolton doesn’t rate him in the middle.
And Stocker hasn’t played a game yet but everyone expects him to be a gun - poor bloke, on a hiding to nothing.

Carlton are pinning their hopes on this midfield bunch, but in 2019 they would be the weakest crop in the league.

While they would have expected more from this bunch, as it stands, they won’t be carrying them to many wins this year.

Parker400

Senior List
Mar 19, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sos trading is Dead set brilliant.gave hawks a 2nd rounder for free.
Gave up 19.43 and a state league player to get will setterfield.
The mm deal to sum up state league player and pick 13.

Delisted Jed lamb for Tomas bugg is my highlight lol

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I know it's kinda cruel to even mention this, but imagine if Cripps finally gets tired of losing and says "Screw this!" and requests a trade.

The club would be absolutely lost without him, he carries those boys each and every week

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
They need midfield support for Cripps.

LOB at this stage doesn’t look up to the level and needs a spell in the 2’s. Dow looks like he gets enough of it but burns it with his kicking.
Kennedy looks a solider as a second tier mid. Setterfield looks a contributor but needs time.
Lang is a retread pick, hopefully the last of this rebuild.
Walsh looks quality. Carlton fans have every right to be excited by this guy. Looks a star.
SPS drifts in and out of games. Hopefully he can start to influence them soon.
Cuningham hasn’t really stepped up to the level despite showing something up forward in half paced practice matches.
Gibbons is being played out of position as a forward so we can’t really gauge him. Perhaps Bolton doesn’t rate him in the middle.
And Stocker hasn’t played a game yet but everyone expects him to be a gun - poor bloke, on a hiding to nothing.

Carlton are pinning their hopes on this midfield bunch, but in 2019 they would be the weakest crop in the league.

While they would have expected more from this bunch, as it stands, they won’t be carrying them to many wins this year.

Yep fair assessment. I don't think the forward line is as bad as it seems, dysfunctional at the moment sure but once Curnow, McGovern and McKay play some games together and get some continuity could be exciting. Main contributor to the dysfucntion is the delivery in with rushed/pressured or just plain bad entries.

Likewise, I think the backline stands up most weeks. Weitering seems to have gotten over the 2nd year blues, Jones has the odd moment but overall pretty reliable these days, I rate Marchbank and Plowman.

As you've identified, its the midfield depth that is the issue. Cripps then the length of the flemington straight to anyone else. Yeah Walsh looks a gun but unrealistic to expect an 18 year old to play like he has all year, and will be a few years before we can expect him to shoulder a load like Cripps currently does. Really need Kennedy and Setterfield to come on like we hope they will. Agree re: Gibbons, they're trying to mold him into a small forward but I'd be trying him where he played his best footy in the VFL and where we really need support, the middle, and see if he can perform at the level.

SPS is a strange one, looks good when he's on and I know a lot of our supporters really rate him but I just don't see it, plays 1 good game out of every 5.

Yeah. Which ones did SOS (and our group of recruiters) misjudge.
Billie Smedts
Jarrod Pickett
Sam Kerridge
Jed Lamb
Liam Sumner
Rhys Palmer
Matthew Lobbe
Andrew Phillips

Are all players that have been traded in by SOS that are poo

Or were they sublimely talented players that the coaching at two clubs failed to develop?

Back