Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Far be it from me to stand up for Roos, who I cannot abide, but I think he said we can’t get much better without our other players coming back.

Which is still rubbish! Best thing we can do is keep winning...
Well it is rubbish. We have so much improvement in the current team and would be top 8 with Carlisle, Hanners, and Robbo back in the team.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well it is rubbish. We have so much improvement in the current team and would be top 8 with Carlisle, Hanners, and Robbo back in the team.
It is pretty rubbish all these ‘experts’ tipped us to push for finals last year. Now this year when we are actually winning 5-1 (if you include JLT) not to mention we should have beat Freo. And people still think we’re putrid.
It’s like all th young guys that were projected to rise last year and didn’t, all of a sudden have no potential than to just be GOP’s.

Hey, you don’t have to convince me.
Nothing I’d like better than to see these “experts” choke on their pre-season predictions.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Matty Lloyd pretty dismissive of our win on afl.com. Said the free resulting in Lonie's goal shouldn't have been paid, and the Hawks should've won. Bartel at least was complimentary of Billings...but jesus, the constant put downs is a bit tiresome at this stage. At least the highlights actually showed St.Kilda playing for once, it doesn't happen too often.

Matty Lloyd pretty dismissive of our win on afl.com. Said the free resulting in Lonie's goal shouldn't have been paid, and the Hawks should've won. Bartel at least was complimentary of Billings...but jesus, the constant put downs is a bit tiresome at this stage. At least the highlights actually showed St.Kilda playing for once, it doesn't happen too often.

Saints winning doesn’t suit their narrative.

What'd you expect from the Purple show?

Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

One of the most annoying things is it isn’t like that free kick was with 10 seconds to go. There was plenty of time on the clock for either team to kick another goal or two.

Hawthorn didn’t kick a goal after the 15min mark of the 3rd quarter but of course the umpires gifted the game to St Kilda. If we didn’t kick the goal from the free we probably would’ve just kept kicking points till we were eventually in front.

It will be good to win a game and actually get a bit of credit for once.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Need for speed: Saints to target out-of-contract Swans jetST KILDA'S list management team has identified Sydney's Zak Jones as a trade target this season as it looks to inject some much-needed speed into its midfield. AFL.com.au understands the Saints are tracking the out-of-contract Swan closely as they attempt to lure his pace to complement a midfield bereft of line-breakers. FREE AGENTS LIST Who is in this year's pool? The 24-year-old remains content in Sydney, however, is expected to gain further interest from Victorian clubs inquiring about a move home should his impressive start to 2019 continue. Jones has averaged a career-high 25 disposals from his opening four matches.
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/discover/CD_I991988/Jones-Zak

Having last signed a two-year extension in August 2017, Jones is yet to open communication with the Swans over a renewal beyond this year.

St Kilda, along with North Melbourne and Essendon, were among the clubs to chase Jones' signature through his last negotiation period before he ultimately remained in the Harbour City.

Melbourne has also previously considered partnering Jones with 31-year-old brother Nathan.

Zak Jones gets his kick away during the Swans' clash against the Demons. Picture: AFL Photos
ZJ04SyMe19MMP8483.jpg

However, it is the Saints lining up for dynamic midfield options, after missing out on Dylan Shiel last year. They are also expecting Greater Western Sydney star mid Josh Kelly to stay at his club next season.

Despite landing Dan Hannebery, who looks set to miss the first half of 2019, on a substantial five-year deal last year, the Saints' salary cap space will allow it to pursue more top talent.

FRUSTRATED Dan aims to return in back half of season

With Hannebery sidelined, the Saints' midfield has been led by inside bulls Seb Ross, Jack Steele and, before last week, Luke Dunstan.

While Jade Gresham, Jack Billings and Jack Steven provide leg speed, the midfield mix has been described as too similar by those inside Moorabbin.

As a result, the need to add more explosive midfielders is high on the list of priorities in planning for this year's NAB AFL Trade Period.

Youngster Nick Coffield is one player with pace, however, has been overlooked for selection this season, while skillful midfielder Hunter Clark has played the past two matches.

Coffield and Clark were taken at selections seven and eight in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, with last year's pick four used on key forward Max King.

A Dandenong Stingrays junior drafted at pick 15 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, Jones played his junior football with local bayside club Mount Eliz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zak Jones is a very astute move. I remember fans speaking about Redden, Caddy, Kennedy etc. at their respective clubs, hell even Yeo, in the exact same manner that people are on here.

The reason why it's smart is we need more ready made midfield talent. We've had a crack at Hanners but he obviously has issues he needs to work through. Beyond that the ready made talent we have acquired has all be in other positions. Be it small forwards, half forwards or backs.

We still have not addressed the midfield. Now before people start bringing up Steele, he was in a similar boat to say a Clark when we got him. He's now more mature but we need more help in there. Dunstan isn't going to cut it. Stuv more than likely won't be there next year.

So I think we need to grab Jones then look at who else can come in with him. Luke Parker would be an obvious choice but the likelihood could very well be low.

We need to look at those inside mids who can come in and play day 1. Think outside the box like Brisbane did with Neale. Don't be afraid to look at a 29 year old, if we have too.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Tony Sheahan suggesting Jack Steven has one foot out the door, headed to Geelong.

The Stuv to Geelong rumour is well known throughout media circles. Some are taking it as fact, some are treating it like it should be... a Round 4 rumour that may come true or may be totally wrong.

The Stuv to Geelong rumour is well known throughout media circles. Some are taking it as fact, some are treating it like it should be... a Round 4 rumour that may come true or may be totally wrong.
Charlie Constable + Top 5 pick or 2 top 15 picks.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Need for speed: Saints to target out-of-contract Swans jetST KILDA'S list management team has identified Sydney's Zak Jones as a trade target this season as it looks to inject some much-needed speed into its midfield. AFL.com.au understands the Saints are tracking the out-of-contract Swan closely as they attempt to lure his pace to complement a midfield bereft of line-breakers. FREE AGENTS LIST Who is in this year's pool? The 24-year-old remains content in Sydney, however, is expected to gain further interest from Victorian clubs inquiring about a move home should his impressive start to 2019 continue. Jones has averaged a career-high 25 disposals from his opening four matches.
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/discover/CD_I991988/Jones-Zak

Having last signed a two-year extension in August 2017, Jones is yet to open communication with the Swans over a renewal beyond this year.

St Kilda, along with North Melbourne and Essendon, were among the clubs to chase Jones' signature through his last negotiation period before he ultimately remained in the Harbour City.

Melbourne has also previously considered partnering Jones with 31-year-old brother Nathan.

Zak Jones gets his kick away during the Swans' clash against the Demons. Picture: AFL Photos
ZJ04SyMe19MMP8483.jpg

However, it is the Saints lining up for dynamic midfield options, after missing out on Dylan Shiel last year. They are also expecting Greater Western Sydney star mid Josh Kelly to stay at his club next season.

Despite landing Dan Hannebery, who looks set to miss the first half of 2019, on a substantial five-year deal last year, the Saints' salary cap space will allow it to pursue more top talent.

FRUSTRATED Dan aims to return in back half of season

With Hannebery sidelined, the Saints' midfield has been led by inside bulls Seb Ross, Jack Steele and, before last week, Luke Dunstan.

While Jade Gresham, Jack Billings and Jack Steven provide leg speed, the midfield mix has been described as too similar by those inside Moorabbin.

As a result, the need to add more explosive midfielders is high on the list of priorities in planning for this year's NAB AFL Trade Period.

Youngster Nick Coffield is one player with pace, however, has been overlooked for selection this season, while skillful midfielder Hunter Clark has played the past two matches.

Coffield and Clark were taken at selections seven and eight in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, with last year's pick four used on key forward Max King.

A Dandenong Stingrays junior drafted at pick 15 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, Jones played his junior football with local bayside club Mount Eliz
Interesting that we went for him when he was last out of contract too. Can’t say I’m a massive fan but if he didn’t cost a lot then could definitely fill a need.

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't know if our midfield is that slow, ross has been getting on his bike, sinclair's pretty nippy, gresh doesn't mess around, hunter's no plodder.. people even say billings is quick, which he's not, but he's not slow. It really depends who we're running with, namely Dunstan.

You read some articles and they say we're quick, then other people saying we're slow. I think we're in between.

we've got a lot of pace ahead of the ball, and hind wont play for sandy long, parker looks more like a winger to me too..

I think we're going alright. What we need most is an inside bull. Could that be Constable? Hopper? Will steal put on another 5 kgs next pre season and step up?

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't know if our midfield is that slow, ross has been getting on his bike, sinclair's pretty nippy, gresh doesn't mess around, hunter's no plodder.. people even say billings is quick, which he's not, but he's not slow. It really depends who we're running with, namely Dunstan.

You read some articles and they say we're quick, then other people saying we're slow. I think we're in between.

we've got a lot of pace ahead of the ball, and hind wont play for sandy long, parker looks more like a winger to me too..

I think we're going alright. What we need most is an inside bull. Could that be Constable? Hopper? Will steal put on another 5 kgs next pre season and step up?

Yes and no. We are a bit same same.

I am of the view that any player you can bring in to improve your list, you do it.

Let's not forget that we were all experience ting improvement this time last year and it didn't happen, so there are no guarantees.

You'd be mad to be complacent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back