Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No news of Ponter?

I can't remember if Ponter was there with them, it was on Considine's instagram stories last week and they disappear after 24 hours. I only specifically remember her, Martin, Hatchard, and Randall, but there was about 8 of them.

Last edited:
Anyone else find it strange that all these captains are moving clubs? Why are they doing it? What's the incentive? most of these captains would be tier 1 at their club already.

Anyone else find it strange that all these captains are moving clubs? Why are they doing it? What's the incentive? most of these captains would be tier 1 at their club already.
People are reacting to this the way they would to full time male players doing it. For the men, its their career, but for most of the women, its a sideline at this point. Players are swapping for jobs, for convenience and family reasons, to go to the club that they supported growing up. Male players trying to build careers playing footy wouldn't normally do this. But for the women, because they have only had 1 year contracts, and its semi pro money, there is much less incentive for the women to stay at a club if there is a reason for them to want to be at another club.

People are reacting to this the way they would to full time male players doing it. For the men, its their career, but for most of the women, its a sideline at this point. Players are swapping for jobs, for convenience and family reasons, to go to the club that they supported growing up. Male players trying to build careers playing footy wouldn't normally do this. But for the women, because they have only had 1 year contracts, and its semi pro money, there is much less incentive for the women to stay at a club if there is a reason for them to want to be at another club.
I understand all that, but are you saying that because it's semi pro and alot of these women have jobs outside of footy, that the clubs are offering them better outside jobs to join them through club connections?

I just think so many captains moving is strange, I understand anybody else moving clubs for change and opportunity and what not. If you're a Captain of a team does that not mean the club puts trust and faith in you as a leader and player its supposed to be an honour?

I understand all that, but are you saying that because it's semi pro and alot of these women have jobs outside of footy, that the clubs are offering them better outside jobs to join them through club connections?

I just think so many captains moving is strange, I understand anybody else moving clubs for change and opportunity and what not. If you're a Captain of a team does that not mean the club puts trust and faith in you as a leader and player its supposed to be an honour?
No, more that some clubs may fit better with living circumstances than others, but jobs within the clubs do count as well. Tiahna Earnst is moving to the Gold Coast, but she is heading there due to her medical career, therefore the footy career has to follow.

Virgo from the Lions is interested in pursuing coaching as a career, thats why she went to Gold Coast, who offered her a coaching pathway.

I suspect one of the reasons Harris went to Vic was because it might be easier to pursue her fight career ambitions in Melbourne.

Davey was always a Collingwood supporter, I think she is just pursuing an ambition to play for Collingwood, nothing more than that.

A good get by the Saints

I reckon Perkins might head back

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-04-17/signed-searle-delivered

5 flags with Darebin

View attachment 656782
Its good they signed her, and not Frawley. He may have done a decent job, but when you have the most experienced female coach in the country already in your coaching ranks, and she has been involved in setting up the team, to then go and hire a guy years out of senor mens coaching would be perceived as, and would be, a slap in the face.

Excellent to see Peta in an AFLW coaching role :thumbsu:

In very loosely Crows-related news, Kellie Gibson has now moved to a third club, joining West Coast.

So anyway, today is the last day for expansion signings as far as I know. So far we've not lost anyone. Fingers crossed!

Edit: Ugly reading for Brisbane, over a third of their squad is gone. This is before they even start thinking about if they want to delist anyone. It's a shame they weren't able to get over the Bulldogs last year and snatch a premiership before the eyes were picked out of their squad.

Departing: Bella Ayre (retired), Lauren Bella (Gold Coast), McKenzie Dowrick (West Coast), Nat Exon (St Kilda), Sabrina Frederick (Richmond), Tori Groves-Little (Gold Coast), Leah Kaslar (Gold Coast), Kate McCarthy (St Kilda), Paige Parker (Gold Coast), Emma Pittman (Gold Coast), Sam Virgo (Gold Coast), Jacqui Yorston (Gold Coast)

Excellent to see Peta in an AFLW coaching role :thumbsu:

In very loosely Crows-related news, Kellie Gibson has now moved to a third club, joining West Coast.

So anyway, today is the last day for expansion signings as far as I know. So far we've not lost anyone. Fingers crossed!

Edit: Ugly reading for Brisbane, over a third of their squad is gone. This is before they even start thinking about if they want to delist anyone. It's a shame they weren't able to get over the Bulldogs last year and snatch a premiership before the eyes were picked out of their squad.
Whats the chance of losing to players now to the other teams in the comp?

Whats the chance of losing to players now to the other teams in the comp?

On the whole, I assume that if we do lose players, they would mostly be fringe players. It's not like other clubs can offer big money deals to get our players over, and other than Perkins I think they're all based in SA or NT. Well, besides Considine obviously, but she's already re-signed.

Still, even if we do lose a couple, most of the other strong clubs have been hit pretty hard. Fremantle has had quite a few stars taken by West Coast, Carlton has lost their captain, North has lost a few. Brisbane weren't strong this year but were for the last two years, hard to see them doing any good in 2020.

You'd have to think we're odds on premiership favourites, at least out of the clubs that were there in 2019. Impossible to know for the expansion clubs, of course. It will be interesting to see how Richmond goes, they've got a star studded forward line but I'm not sure that's as valuable in AFLW as it is in the men's comp.

Edit: One name that has been floated a few times is Ponter, she spent time in Victoria and would be pretty heavily headhunted by various clubs, and they would almost certainly be able to put her in a higher player tier than we have. Hopefully she's built up some friendships in her one year here and chooses to stay, but being based in NT, she wouldn't have spent quite as much time around the group as most of the other players, so there might not be as strong a bond there yet.

Last edited:
On the whole, I assume that if we do lose players, they would mostly be fringe players. It's not like other clubs can offer big money deals to get our players over, and other than Perkins I think they're all based in SA or NT.

Still, even if we do lose a couple, most of the other strong clubs have been hit pretty hard. Fremantle has had quite a few stars taken by West Coast, Carlton has lost their captain, North has lost a few. Brisbane weren't strong this year but were for the last two years, hard to see them doing any good in 2020.

You'd have to think we're odds on premiership favourites, at least out of the clubs that were there in 2019. Impossible to know for the expansion clubs, of course. It will be interesting to see how Richmond goes, they've got a star studded forward line but I'm not sure that's as valuable in AFLW as it is in the men's comp.
Do you think the expansion teams are coming to quickly from he perspective of diluting the talent pool?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think the expansion teams are coming to quickly from he perspective of diluting the talent pool?

Definitely. Not that I think it will hurt the spectacle of the game too much, but it will definitely create a few have-not teams who will struggle to compete ALA Collingwood this year.

When you can't use money as a serious lure, and players are only part-timers, success and team culture are the only real lures you have. That and perhaps the allure of playing for the club you grew up supporting in the men's comp. But I can definitely see scenarios where players decide to all congregate at the more successful clubs because if you're going to be paid the same no matter what, you may as well be playing for a team that's in the running for a premiership.

Definitely. Not that I think it will hurt the spectacle of the game too much, but it will definitely create a few have-not teams who will struggle to compete ALA Collingwood this year.
Yep, that's what I am expecting. Anyway, hope the girls come back fit and hungry again for preseason

It so weird to see all the other Clubs get raided by the other teams and us as premiers are just sitting here twiddling our thumbs. I wonder if anyone requested a trade to us? We obviously have a good program... or do we just want to keep our team together?

View attachment 657066

The emergence of Jess Foley probably brought this about.

Yes, a sensible move. She'd be behind Foley as a utility, and with Metcalfe hoping to return as a ruck there would be very little spot for Hewett. She'll be a quality player for Gold Coast.

Presumably Jess Allan remains (returns) as a backup utility option.

Money, Caro just said on 5AA that Bri Davey will be on $150,000 at Collingwood and that some of the other big moves have been upwards of $100,000.

Last edited:
Money, Caro just said on 5AA that Bri Davey will be on $150,000 at Collingwood and that some of the other big moves have been upwards of for $100,000.
Yep basically they employ them at the club and that's all fine with the cap

We've delisted Perkins, Lugg, Riley, and Rosenzweig

Sedunary is off to St Kilda

McCormick is pursuing soccer full time and has been delisted as well

"With the trade and signing period closing today, the AFL is still going through the approval process and more re-signings are likely to be announced next Tuesday."

"With the trade and signing period closing today, the AFL is still going through the approval process and more re-signings are likely to be announced next Tuesday."
That's bad luck for Sally Riley (premiership player), but with the mandatory 8 changes, someone had to go. McCormick took a while to get going this season (which I assumed was because of her commitment to soccer), but she came good by season's end. Hard to see a spot for Sedunary as well.

Losing Hewett is probably our biggest lost, as she can play either end, but she's behind a few and wish her all the best at Gold Coast.

Good luck to all the girls and I hope they all find clubs or a future in whatever they choose to do

They will always be pioneers of our AFLW side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back