Opinion De Goey: Forward or Midfield?

In which position should De Goey predominantly be played?

• Total voters
We've seen that he can be very effective in both areas of the ground. Why would any coach in his right mind assign him to a forward only or midfield only role?

You play him where he will create the most impact based on the team's needs at the time and constrained by his fitness/injury status.

We're so lucky to have such a gun. :) I enjoy his presence and attitude as well; the kid has swagger.

Only a matter of time before he becomes a predominant midfielder.
Not so sure. I think you always want him to be a high impact player and much more than a bloke who runs in waves linking up with his teammates, which is the bread and butter of the midfield. I can see him being used a lot like James Hird was. Throw him into stoppages when you want an impact there. Throw him ahead of the ball when you want the impact there. Put him wherever you need a lift. As a default game, I'd have him in stoppages and then move ahead of the ball.

dmoore30

All Australian
Dec 3, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Friday changed my mind.

Reckon he plays a bit like dusty, more of a 60-40 or 70-30% in the midfield. Absolute bull in the middle and is what we are missing at the moment in the guts

Apr 17, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Midfield.
Centre bounces.
DeGoey, Sier, Treloar, Adams, Beams... time for Pendles to go to the wing.
Those guys ☝️.... rotate through the guts with Grundy (and Cox).

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
So De Goey can kick 50 plus goals a year and terrorise defenders and we don’t play him forward more often than not?

Me no understand?

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
So De Goey can kick 50 plus goals a year and terrorise defenders and we don’t play him forward more often than not?

Me no understand?

If our midfield was firing it wouldnt be much of a discussion. But when you're getting cleaned up in the centre clearances it allows the opposition to play the game ontheir terms. In that context its an interesting discussion. I just wish the coaches would get our midfield sorted so we didnt need to contemplate it.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If our midfield was firing it wouldnt be much of a discussion. But when you're getting cleaned up in the centre clearances it allows the opposition to play the game ontheir terms. In that context its an interesting discussion. I just wish the coaches would get our midfield sorted so we didnt need to contemplate it.
We still get more than enough hand to ball.
Just clean that up, get the guys to click and let De Goey do his magic. With the occasional burst through the middle.

We still get more than enough hand to ball.
Just clean that up, get the guys to click and let De Goey do his magic. With the occasional burst through the middle.

I'm with you, although I would throw him into a fair few centre stoppages and have him head forward from there.

The other factor in favour of keeping him forward is more time in the midfield means more recovery time on the bench for JDG - I just want him out there. And as fatigue kicks in with his extra midfield minutes, less explosiveness.

Having said that, Bucks has been pretty clear a few times that as JDG develops he will become a midfielder.

Wackajack

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think we need to give Beams and Adam's a chance to play in the midfield together, they are our best clearance players. I think we can only have one of Treloar/Pendles in the centre clearances as Pendles loses his 1v1 match ups too often and so does Treloar. Around the ground it's not so much an issue.

Probably wouldn't be an issue at all if Grundy got the ball down to our players with a little more accuracy.

Apr 17, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes.
100%
Remember, in the 2018 GF Shuey and Sheed TOTALLY smashed us.

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
I think he’s needed in the middle at the moment sadly. But he could rest forward. Our midfield is deep but not as strong as other top clubs as we have seen recently. He’s the cream we need.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
given the lack of clearance guns he is needed in the midfield more than ever. when sier (or maybe wills) gets a fit he can play mid / forward 60/40. till then its more like 40/60.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I think if Stephenson Elliot Mihocek and company are firing.. throw De Goey in the guts to finish em off..

Or

At odd times to create confusion.. throw him in the guts..

Or

When we're in need of a spark in the guts

Or

When playing chess.. making a decisive move that will influence the game

So many wonderful options.. for a wonderful player.. proud that he's ours.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I keep fluctuating about this. But JDG’s impact when sent to the midfield is startling. Maybe it’s greater because he’s a part-timer.

You have to wonder, if he were a permanent mid, how long it would take opposition coaches to work out strategies to stifle his influence. As it is they don't get much of an opportunity to figure it out. Is that helping De Goey influence centre clearances?

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
2018 GF is the perfect example to illustrate how I think we should use De Goey and the return of Elliot makes it much more workable. Play him forward and give him stints in the guts. More so when we are getting beaten in clearances from the ball up. Give him a run in the guts in the last q of the GF with Elliot forward and we win IMO. Without Elliot we lack 1 smart versatile forward.

Back