Preview Round 5, 2019: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 56 72.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nice revisionism. Look I know you are an Acres cultist where he can do no wrong ever, but some constructive criticism and the disciples go apeshit. Its like trying to argue with a Trump cultist.

I have read Kent called pathetic, fat, useless, and that we should give him back to Melbourne.
Please find one post where I said anything as disparaging.
Acres had one good game and you lot think its the second coming.

However unlike the Kent haters and scapegoaters I want Acres to play like Sunday every game, not once in a while.

They just want him out. Pretty piss poor.

FWIW I love Kent..

Always have, always will.

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Majority of teams are made up of mostly average players according to opposition supporters.

I’d not swap any of Hunt, Harmes, Melhsham, Spargo, Stretch, Frost, O McDonald, Fritsch, Wagner x 2, ANB, Pruess, and this list doesn’t include N Jones who is near finished, for pretty much any Saint 22 who played today, and I’d argue there’s a few more.
Melbourne believed their own hype, and that is their right, but it has no real baring on this years standings.
They’re an average team with an excellent ruck and poor forward line. Hogan is a understated loss more in the fact that TMac is now focused as a forward and no longer a swing man, more work goes into him and the reality is, it’s much harder to be a full time forward than a pinch hitter.
I personally see him back in defence by mid year. Then who contests the forward entries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had a flick through your board over the off-season and at moments last year.

So much doom and gloom. Basically waiting for Richo to get sacked. Some were even praising our list and pointing out where you'd gone wrong. I think a lot of you fell into the trap of overrating our potential.

You neglected to realise how many guys you have in that beautiful sweet spot of 23-28, with many of them having done multiple pre-seasons together. In addition to this, those just below the age profile, like Gresham, Clark and Battle are more than capable of contributing. Those just outside, like Geary and Brown, aren't over the hill.

Tbh, I haven't really watched much of you play and I'm not suggesting you're genuine contenders. However, with some refreshed coaching and the age profile you can put out most weeks, it's absolutely no surprise to me that you're playing good footy and could well finish the year on 10-12 wins. Attract some good talent and who knows what happens next year.

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
May not be a popular opinion, but I would be leaving out Clark and bringing Dunstan back in for his contested footy. Clark has a future for sure, but was knocked around by the hawks mids and the Dees on ball brigade of Jones, Oliver, Harmes, Viney etc will be too much for him.

I'd be certain that Kent was getting dropped but his only saving grace might be that he is up against his old mob and depending on how Parker pulls up.

What's great to see is we have Geary's future replacement is Paton. Would be stiff to miss this week because I thought once he settled he was so composed with ball in hand and his kicking is much needed. Kid will be a lock in the back pocket next year.

My selections:

Outs: Clark, Paton or McKenzie if he doesnt get up, Kent or Parker if Iniured.
Ins; Dunstan, Geary and Steven if available.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I Don't know where anyone will play or who will play - but we have to attempt to keep there prime movers under control.
Bloody tough game

• Michael Hibberd = Long , Oscar McDonald = Membery , Marty Hore = Lonie
  • Billy Stretch = Parker , Sam Frost = Bruce , Nathan Jones = Kent
  • Jayden Hunt = Billings , Clayton Oliver = Ross , Christian Salem = Sinclair
  • Bayley Fritsch = Webster , Braydon Preuss = Battle , Angus Brayshaw = Savage
  • Charlie Spargo = Geary , Tom McDonald = Brown , Jake Melksham = Wilkie
  • Max Gawn, = Marshall
  • Christian Petracca, = Steele
  • Jack Viney = Gresham

I/C

• James Harmes, = Newnes
  • Sam Weideman, = Acres
  • Corey Wagner, = Steven
  • Josh Wagner = Paton

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll be out camping for this game near Exmouth. Just purchased myself a little wireless radio for $5 from Target. Hopefully can get ABC out there and it's on. Melbourne have been terrible so far this year but will be fresh coming off a long break. Another huge test for Marshall but the mids looked so much better against the Hawks. Dunno if my heart can handle another nailbiter.
Ah the good old days when trans was something to listen to rather than a riddle for the eyes...
Beautiful part of Oz, enjoy!

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Preuss was just ok at best, he took 1 mark and frankly after injuring his shoulder he probably won’t play.

Gawn on the other hand just killed Sydney, Cal Sinclair had an absolute shocker and with only Reid for backup Melbourne dominated the hit - outs.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd understand if we drop Parker, but at the same time the pressure he brings makes the oppo's back 6 nervous and throw it on the boot too quickly, which allows us to defend much much better. Having Long, Lonie and Parker (and I guess kent, but I don't think he's at their level) buzzing around the 50 make a big difference to the result, possessions or not.

with that said if he can go back to sandy and get some goal kicking form that would be nice. I think he's almost playing too defensively at the minute, he's only in the game when it's time to tackle

Parker and Long (plus others) have developed the great habit of slamming a guy just after he kicks. Not too late but borderline. Left a few Hawks pretty sore from what I could see. We seem to have included the shoulder charge into our repertoire. Wonder if that's thanks to Slater even though it's banned in League.
Anyway I think they should def both play unless sore. Hind is a hbf'er so has to replace either DMAC or Paton. Hopefully changes are Geary,Stevens and Hind for DMAC,Kent and Paton.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
This week will be a true test for Marshall when he’s paired against two physically superior but also very athletic ruckman in pruess and Gawn.
Wonder how we will counter this

More a test of acres than roma.

Acres did well against ceglar and big ben, he made a contest.

I don't think we are going to be so fortunate every week- some teams will absolutely get hold of us playing acres in the ruck.

The good news is roma's tank is that good that he only needs ~5 mins a quarter rest.

Teams can (and will) monster us in those 5mins though... perhaps starting this week?

Gawn is incredibly clever with his positioning around the ground- if anyone's going to exploit acres, it's him.

(Btw I'm all for keeping bruce out of the ruck though- it costs us too much up fwd having him in there)

The Enemy Within

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Enterprise NCC-1701
AFL Club
St Kilda
Horses for courses Melb are 1 of the sides you need to play 2 ruckman against especially if Preust plays & the benefit is Roma can still play a role up forward if we do bring in the 2nd ruck.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I get the feeling Stuv is done for the year listening to the Cho, I wouldn’t bank on him playing any major role this season. I hope I’m wrong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd be surprised if that were true. He's back to full training, trained Friday and the day of the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were to walk at the end of the year but I don't see why he'd be back to full training if he wasn't planning on playing.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
So playing a good 5min match gets u a guaranteed game the next week does it? Hmm....

Clark’s inside game on Sunday has been very underrated on here. I thought he made some progress in terms of being that inside/outside mid that we all hope he develops into.

He’s as hard as a cats head... no reason for him to go back to the twos at all IMO.

Gears for Dmac
Stuv for Kent
Hind for Paton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back