Preview Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood - Round 5 2019, April 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going this Thursday for the first time in 4 years!! I’m super pumped already! Especially so since it looks like it’s sold out! 👍

I do have a question about the General Admission areas though (me and my mates have tickets for that area) is either one better than the other?

I saw on the Gabba map one is near the Verandah and the other obviously isn’t...would like to be sitting closer to Lions supporters rather than end up near the Collingwood cheer squad lol

So, I've been off BF for 48 hours - had much time to enjoy other things and spent a bit of time thinking about this game in light of our opening month.

We rolled the Weagles, who were missing a few, especially 1 key forward.
We rolled North, who were struggling.
We rolled Port, who missed shots at goal which probably would have made the deficit too far to overrun.
And then we carried that form into a Dons side who were coming into good form, so no surprise we got beaten.

The common thread in all those games is our starts - aside from the Port game, we haven't done very well at all. Essendon were switched on, didn't miss goals as Port did and the game was one we were chasing. Had our chances in the 4th,....terrible forward entries, guys down on belief...and we lost. It happens, and it will happen again.

We seem to react like a young side, who now KNOWS they can win games, BUT isn't confident about that until they get poked. Until we get a few goals kicked against us, we don't start playing with intensity. I see this as unconnected with personnel and more correctly as purely psychological - and a hallmark of a developing team. We are inexperienced - not necessarily young, but not a huge amount of games played - and to illustrate this, cast back your minds to the early 2001 Lions - Voss, Aker, Lappin, Leppa, Mal, Lynch, Bradshaw, Ashcroft, Hart, McCrae, Pikey, White, Johnson, the Scott boys...these guys had been in the system for years and years....most of them close to or over 100 games at that point, including finals. And even with that, it took a while before they went onto the ground KNOWING that they could beat any opponent.

And before we went on that amazing run in 2001....we were 4-5, after 9 rounds and nobody really rated us for the flag - and this after winning a spoon in 98, up to third in 99 and then 6th in 2000. If we go from 17th last year to 3rd this year, I reckon we'd all celebrate, as it would have been an amazing year. We probably won't (as this isn't the LID OFF thread :p) and will finish somewhere around the eight. Still good improvement.

It's going to take time before our guys in 2019 REALLY START TO BELIEVE that they are good enough. That's one of the reasons we need a BIG WIN, like 12+ goals, against a team around us on the ladder - a game where we just blow them away from start to finish. And that belief might not come until next season or even the season after. But it will come.

We KNOW we can run the game out - we KNOW we're good enough to win against good opposition - but we don't, yet, BELIEVE IT.

Whether that happens this week, I don't know - most of you know I'm a positive, enthusiastic Lion, so I'll back us to get the win. Maybe not by 10 goals, but I think we'll bounce back.

LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
:D

(edit - and god it's good to have that goddamn Bomber av outta my face - I stayed offline because I didn't want to be posting here and trashing up every thread with it :D)

Last edited:
This game will be won and lost at the selection table and in terms of our willingness to use the centre corridor.
Robertson should be dropped to allow Bastinac back into the side and other than that, we don’t change personnel, just playing style. If we play a slow game around the flanks, Collingwood ‘s midfield and running players are going to slaughter us. This one is really coming down to how well Fagan and Daly do their jobs. If they have learned nothing from the Essendon game, we will get done.

Brisbane by 32 (subject to selection)

So, I've been off BF for 48 hours - had much time to enjoy other things and spent a bit of time thinking about this game in light of our opening month.

We rolled the Weagles, who were missing a few, especially 1 key forward.
We rolled North, who were struggling.
We rolled Port, who missed shots at goal which probably would have made the deficit too far to overrun.
And then we carried that form into a Dons side who were coming into good form, so no surprise we got beaten.

The common thread in all those games is our starts - aside from the Port game, we haven't done very well at all. Essendon were switched on, didn't miss goals as Port did and the game was one we were chasing. Had our chances in the 4th,....terrible forward entries, guys down on belief...and we lost. It happens, and it will happen again.

We seem to react like a young side, who now KNOWS they can win games, BUT isn't confident about that until they get poked. Until we get a few goals kicked against us, we don't start playing with intensity. I see this as unconnected with personnel and more correctly as purely psychological - and a hallmark of a developing team. We are inexperienced - not necessarily young, but not a huge amount of games played - and to illustrate this, cast back your minds to the early 2001 Lions - Voss, Aker, Lappin, Leppa, Mal, Lynch, Bradshaw, Ashcroft, Hart, McCrae, Pikey, White, Johnson, the Scott boys...these guys had been in the system for years and years....most of them close to or over 100 games at that point, including finals. And even with that, it took a while before they went onto the ground KNOWING that they could beat any opponent.

And before we went on that amazing run in 2001....we were 4-5, after 9 rounds and nobody really rated us for the flag - and this after winning a spoon in 98, up to third in 99 and then 6th in 2000. If we go from 17th last year to 3rd this year, I reckon we'd all celebrate, as it would have been an amazing year. We probably won't (as this isn't the LID OFF thread :p) and will finish somewhere around the eight. Still good improvement.

It's going to take time before our guys in 2019 REALLY START TO BELIEVE that they are good enough. That's one of the reasons we need a BIG WIN, like 12+ goals, against a team around us on the ladder - a game where we just blow them away from start to finish. And that belief might not come until next season or even the season after. But it will come.

We KNOW we can run the game out - we KNOW we're good enough to win against good opposition - but we don't, yet, BELIEVE IT.

Whether that happens this week, I don't know - most of you know I'm a positive, enthusiastic Lion, so I'll back us to get the win. Maybe not by 10 goals, but I think we'll bounce back.

LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
:D

(edit - and god it's good to have that goddamn Bomber av outta my face - I stayed offline because I didn't want to be posting here and trashing up every thread with it :D)

Need a good ol' revv up before q1 and see how the boys respond. Will be awesome to try in front of a full house.

We have no one who will match De Goey out of the goal square - he is actual dynamite on the lead.

True, it's time to get games into the pacy small backs we have on our list.. Answerth, Hinge whoever it is. The current defense is too slow and will get destroyed by pies small/medium forwards.

I’m not sure wether to the think that last week was an apparition or there are some more fundamental concerns. Part of me thinks that as a football watching group we are now conditioned for teams to play a ‘perfect’ game to win and thus when this doesn’t happen we look for reasons or problems even if we win. However, I do feel that there is a bit of a trend occurring in the way the Lions have played this season and that the two wins against North and Port have glossed over these concerns. IMO we are not a very skilled wise team apart from a couple of players. We also rely on a couple of players to play out of their skin and win the game for us thus not yet a ‘team’ win. We seem to now have an unhealthy reliance on Neale in the middle to rack up 40+ (Or has it always been there with Beams). The only next mid that I would say is lifting their weight is McCluggage. Overall the team needs to step up but definitely the midfield group if we are to win. I don’t think that Lyons has made a positive impact yet and this will have to be the game that this happens. Berry (my fav) is actually down IMO and I know that he has been playing forward more this year and would rather see a return to more midfield minutes. I do believe that there was a drop in our mental focus versus Bombers and it more or less was stated by Berry after the game with the game against the Pies being more front of mind. I do expect an increase in output and the loss IMO was a good thing. Would love to be a ‘fly on the wall’ in the player reviews. It will also be interesting to know of Fagan’s view and how he communicated this to the playing group. I hope he gave them a bit of a whack this time and not the ‘arm around the shoulder’. Some players will be given roles for the benefit of the team and who ever is on Howe will have to play a selfless role to drag him away to stop his intercept marking. The one key factor for me is the tackling numbers, this is what will indicate to me wether we are on or not. All in all I reckon it’ll be a good game. The Pies will be used to these types of ‘mediocre’ numbers of viewers but will be aware of the impact that it will make for our playing group so therefore will be up and about as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lived in Brisbane for the 09 and 10 seasons and and have come up annually every year a couple of times a year including the Collingwood game at the Gabba in 2016 when we were held goalless in the first half IIRC and it always seemed to me that they we were well outnumbered when we played the likes of Collingwood and Carlton. Also keep in mind that a lot of Collingwood fans will travel up for this game being Easter and the generous incentives the Qld Gov't provided to Collingwood members to attend this game. We're barely scrapping 20K people in our first two games and that comprisies quite a lot of opposition fans, so given that this game is almost a sell out, most of those additional fans are Collingwood ones.

If we have 25,000 members I’d expect 25,000 lions fans at least.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

if a 25 year old was playing the same standard would not be considering dropping him.
See, I differ here. If a 25 year old was playing to the same standard there'd probably be similar calls for his dropping - after all just about everyone has had calls for their dropping already this year with the exception of Neale and Rich, and we're 3-1.

I assume you don’t believe he is best 22?

I don't really get the concept of "best 22". It's rare to have an obvious 22 best players on the list such that they also fit into an AFL team's structure. I reckon there's 10-15 that are going to get picked every week when fit, and then there's the rest. I would put Hodgey in "the rest" but that's not saying he's outside the top 22.

I would expect a better performance this week as we were looking ahead. Lyons needs to do better, havent really noticed him too much, maybe alternate him with Berry every now and then as Lyons can kick a few. McStay just needs to do more, if he can't kick goals then not much point in him being there. He can grab a mark but whats the point if he can't finish it off. I would give him this week and if nothing then drop him to get his act together. Rayner the same. Ideally l don't want to be dropping them but their output needs to be better.

I would expect a better performance this week as we were looking ahead. Lyons needs to do better, havent really noticed him too much, maybe alternate him with Berry every now and then as Lyons can kick a few. McStay just needs to do more, if he can't kick goals then not much point in him being there. He can grab a mark but whats the point if he can't finish it off. I would give him this week and if nothing then drop him to get his act together. Rayner the same. Ideally l don't want to be dropping them but their output needs to be better.

Last 3 weeks goals; Hipwood 8, McStay 5, Cameron 5, Rayner 4, McCarthy 4, McInerney 4.

There’s room for improvement but I think McStay is holding his own.

And as I’ve said many times who in the reserves can replace him? There’s no depth there at the moment.

Last 3 weeks goals; Hipwood 8, McStay 5, Cameron 5, Rayner 4, McCarthy 4, McInerney 4.

There’s room for improvement but I think McStay is holding his own.

And as I’ve said many times who in the reserves can replace him? There’s no depth there at the moment.
Only listened on the radio but from what l heard Hippy and McStay were pretty much useless against Essendon. If it were me, l would swap McStay with a smaller running player or maybe a Wooler type. We already have Hippy and Big O. 2 keys are fine.

Need a good ol' revv up before q1 and see how the boys respond. Will be awesome to try in front of a full house.

Lions fans mission - get very LOUD chant going before the game begins. Start when they come out of the race and dont stop until after we score our second goal at the three minute mark. Sip beer, begin again.

We can get the players up and about.

Last edited:
Only listened on the radio but from what l heard Hippy and McStay were pretty much useless against Essendon. If it were me, l would swap McStay with a smaller running player or maybe a Wooler type. We already have Hippy and Big O. 2 keys are fine.

I don't think Big O can hold down a key forward post more than the 20% or so of game time he currently gets up forward. We'll need him to relief ruck against Grundy and Cox too. 10 disposals, 4-5 marks, 10-20 hitouts and a goal is a great statline for a forward/ruck, but its not the output we need.

McStay wasn't great on the weekend and was too easily outbodied by Hurley on a few occasions - that concerns me more than him missing the occasional set shot. But it isn't time to drop him yet and Hippy was equally disappointing in the air. Frankly, I think we have to be realistic about how we move the ball and bombing it onto our forward's heads is very very low percentage (unless it is to Oscar).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back