• Jack Ross

Votes: 227 79.4%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Stack

Votes: 48 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be a replay I come back to watch again.
The other home and away game I've watched several times in recent years was 2017 against the demons when we came back from about 4 goals down at 3/4 time.
Fantastic character building games. I can only imagine how much the players will take from this win

It was an amazing performance!! Though I do recall Rance doing something similar against Sydney in round 23 2014, to get us into the finals. Having said that, I think that Grimes will now finally get the recognition he deserves and barring injury may earn his first all Australian guernsey this year.
Agree, but as mentioned earlier Rance had Grimes to help out in 2015.
Grimesy was on his own Saturday.

Make up your mind about Baker!!! Is he in or out?!?!?

I thought I was crystal clear?? He would be in if just Martin and/or Houli came in for next week but longer term maybe not unless he keeps reproducing with the team like last weekend. If the mix keep reproducing like that without major input from Dusty and Cotch that makes them a lot more relevant on the basis of meritocracy through improved performance and it may help us make Dusty and Cotch be more effective how they play within our the mix when they come back in to make us more effective as an overall combination. For example, Ross might prove a better extractor for us in tight than Dusty, or certainly from a team combination perspective, which might help us overall as Dusty can be a bigger weapon for us on in the spread with more room for him to use his pace, strength and disposal, instead of in tight when he could get clamped and tagged in a more confined match up scenario anyway, as a case in point. Longer term this might make Dusty more durable and keep his energy levels up for greater impact when the ball comes his way as well. Its a bit like the cats using Kelly inside instead of Selwood and Dangerfield at times.

With Baker, I am more curious as anyone if he can keep reproducing that in different matches against different opposition within the player mixes because his strengths seem to be decision making and putting other players in better positions making him and them more effective in the go forward transition. If his input keeps helping our players play better as a team like if Ross can that would be fantastic and make us a far more imposing side and combination. For example the involvement of Baker on the weekend was clearly superior than Butler for the previous three weeks so currently that places Baker ahead of Butler at this stage if he keeps it up.

Last edited:

Man it's actually hard to figure out our current best 22 for the rest of 2019. Something like this?

Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
Stack, Broad, Houli
McIntosh, Cotchin, Lambert
Caddy, Riewoldt, Rioli
Higgins, Lynch, Castagna
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Edwards, Ross, Graham, Balta

- Menadue was decent vs Port and could still be a future Houli replacement, but just hasn't done enough yet and is first to be cut from the weekend's team.
- Baker and Bolton both super stiff, both did more than Rioli but, well, you can't drop Rioli. Baker did a bit more than Higgins, too, but can you drop Higgo?
- I like both Ross and Graham in the side, need that midfield depth. Ross has to stay in now.
- On potential, would you say Bolton leapfrogs Castagna? How do you keep Baker in?

Man it's actually hard to figure out our current best 22 for the rest of 2019. Something like this?

Stack, Broad, Houli
Caddy, Riewoldt, Rioli
Higgins, Lynch, Castagna

- Menadue was decent vs Port and could still be a future Houli replacement, but just hasn't done enough yet and is first to be cut from the weekend's team.
- Baker and Bolton both super stiff, both did more than Rioli but, well, you can't drop Rioli. Baker did a bit more than Higgins, too, but can you drop Higgo?
- I like both Ross and Graham in the side, need that midfield depth. Ross has to stay in now.
- On potential, would you say Bolton leapfrogs Castagna? How do you keep Baker in?

Bolton over Castagna for mine based off the weekend, has so many more tricks and is sooooo much cleaner...

Only issue is our pressure might take a hit

Bolton over Castagna for mine based off the weekend, has so many more tricks and is sooooo much cleaner...

Only issue is our pressure might take a hit
Yeah this is what I'm worried about, Castagna seems to be quicker than Bolton and did use his pace a few times vs Port. George had 6 tackles and Bolton 5, though, so perhaps it wouldn't be too bad.

Cause his not Higgins anymore. Where did all that enthusiasm go? Haven't seen him get excited at any stage this year like previous. He is playing ok and doing his job though seems to have matured quickly, I hear he has a girlfriend now maybe she told him to grow up hehe.:Do_O:eek:
Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s been told to tone it down by the club.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s been told to tone it down by the club.

Not sure why, its the youngsters like Ross and Stack that reinvigorate the club, create energy and drive hope as the dynamic shifts and renewed belief is forged!!!

The improvement has to come from a spark somewhere and there is nothing wrong with a few lighters around the place provided its all positive. Having a few bubbly types is good for the culture and helps create a fun buoyant environment!! Even Bolton with his dare and ingenuity is helpful to lift the appeal of our prospects!

Haha that's a great write up. While we're at it let's not forget that GoDees also picked James Frawley one ahead of Jack Riewoldt in 2006
They did very well out of frawley
Got pick 3 compensation for him
When he went to the hawks
They drafted Brayshaw with that pick

Last edited:
I am now leaning to Graham having a spell, and just being asked to find the footy in the 2's

His apprenticeship in the ones has been really solid, but to add more stings to the bow, it won't hurt to begin that process in the 2's

I'm with you on this one as well. I think it can often be looked at as such a negative thing when a player is sent back to the twos, but in actual fact it can be a great thing for a young player's development.

Go back, dominate with a few 30+ disposal games, get that mojo and confidence and then return to the ones having had a lot more touch without the added pressure on the big stage.

I am now leaning to Graham having a spell, and just being asked to find the footy in the 2's

His apprenticeship in the ones has been really solid, but to add more stings to the bow, it won't hurt to begin that process in the 2's
I'm with you on this one as well. I think it can often be looked at as such a negative thing when a player is sent back to the twos, but in actual fact it can be a great thing for a young player's development.

Go back, dominate with a few 30+ disposal games, get that mojo and confidence and then return to the ones having had a lot more touch without the added pressure on the big stage.

I respectfully disagree with you both. Firstly, we are the lowest disposal team in the competition, as were last year. We don’t value the amount of possessions but how we use it. That means that there are fewer possessions to be had. As a comparison, if he was playing for Collingwood, a like-for-like disposal average would be 22.

Secondly - and most importantly - we have been poor defensively until probably this game. The Giants game we were starting to get our tackling pressure back but it wasn’t until Saturday evening we were able to do it for a full four quarters. What message does it send to the team at large when the player who ranks number 1 at the club for tackles and pressure points is dropped cause he doesn’t get enough of the pill?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cause his not Higgins anymore. Where did all that enthusiasm go? Haven't seen him get excited at any stage this year like previous. He is playing ok and doing his job though seems to have matured quickly, I hear he has a girlfriend now maybe she told him to grow up hehe.:Do_O:eek:

Probably banned him from fortnite and he’s got the DTs

AFL playing their grand final,check out the title.

Bit weird given I think on the couch last night Roos said the umpires department ticked the free off as being legit. If so, nothing controversial there.

I respectfully disagree with you both. Firstly, we are the lowest disposal team in the competition, as were last year. We don’t value the amount of possessions but how we use it. That means that there are fewer possessions to be had. As a comparison, if he was playing for Collingwood, a like-for-like disposal average would be 22.

Secondly - and most importantly - we have been poor defensively until probably this game. The Giants game we were starting to get our tackling pressure back but it wasn’t until Saturday evening we were able to do it for a full four quarters. What message does it send to the team at large when the player who ranks number 1 at the club for tackles and pressure points is dropped cause he doesn’t get enough of the pill?

I agree, quality over quantity any day. What is the point of getting an extra possession if it means going backwards and wasting energy to do so without reward??? It just puts you further back.

I don't like players resting on their laurels but Grahams deeds in the GF in terms of composure and dealing with pressure getting it done when it is most on the line counts for something, especially when the pressure is on and we need to win from a competitive viewpoint. As long as he is doing things right consistently that goes a long way and sets the tone. We cannot have all the same type racking up possessions either willy nilly. If he has a few stinkers fine he comes under scrutiny, but I think he has earn't a bit of saving grace especially as he is only young with plenty of room for development from continuity. On top of that if he is holding up defensively thats great and he is a bigger/stronger body amongst some of our lighter mids in terms of suitable competitive matchups against the opposition.

Stack, Broad, Houli
Caddy, Riewoldt, Rioli
Higgins, Lynch, Castagna

Bolton cannot be dropped after that performance.
Graham for Dusty is a given if you ask me. Graham is pretty average at everything, Bolton makes things happen when he gets the ball.
If Lambert, Prestia, Ross, Edwards, Rioli, Caddy, Martin and Higgins can't get the job done, don't think Graham will help much.

Would have bolton over Castagna, and possibly over Higgins, but with Edwards playing back maybe Botlon moves up to the wing.
Baker does not deserve being dropped either, but one or both of he or Menadue might be the unlucky ones if Basher comes in.

Bolton cannot be dropped after that performance.
Graham for Dusty is a given if you ask me. Graham is pretty average at everything, Bolton makes things happen when he gets the ball.
If Lambert, Prestia, Ross, Edwards, Rioli, Caddy, Martin and Higgins can't get the job done, don't think Graham will help much.

Would have bolton over Castagna, and possibly over Higgins, but with Edwards playing back maybe Botlon moves up to the wing.
Baker does not deserve being dropped either, but one or both of he or Menadue might be the unlucky ones if Basher comes in.

Dunno about graham. I can see a situation with dusty and cads rotating forward/mid which means we’ll need some heavy lifting around the pill. Graham was pretty good at the defensive side of the game on the weekend which I think helps sheds, Prestia and Ross. Yes he needs to accumulate more but I think he’s being asked to play a specific role in the team at the moment.

Or I could be completely wrong and he gets dropped.

Dunno about graham. I can see a situation with dusty and cads rotating forward/mid which means we’ll need some heavy lifting around the pill. Graham was pretty good at the defensive side of the game on the weekend which I think helps sheds, Prestia and Ross. Yes he needs to accumulate more but I think he’s being asked to play a specific role in the team at the moment.

The difference is when a class player gets the ball something happens. When Graham gets it, yeah nah. Sure he plays a role, but we need to upgrade, or he needs to go back to the VFL and dominate which I think he is capable of.

The difference is when a class player gets the ball something happens. When Graham gets it, yeah nah. Sure he plays a role, but we need to upgrade, or he needs to go back to the VFL and dominate which I think he is capable of.

Not sure we need all of our mids to be A graders. I’d like to see him be more damaging with the ball no doubt but he does pick up a lot of defensive slack.

I think you’re right and he’s being asked to play that role, a role he’s actually really good at.

Dimma and the coaches want us playing a defensive, pressure heavy game and they’re not going to drop Graham unless his tackles and pressure acts drop.

Bit weird given I think on the couch last night Roos said the umpires department ticked the free off as being legit. If so, nothing controversial there.
I assumed they were referring to the non reversal of the Houston goal in the last after Rockliff Powell-pepper belted grimes in the back! If port had won by less than a goal....

Last edited:
Back