Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a good chat - I was particularly impressed with his comments about Lachie and his off the field qualities in leadership, coaching the younger blokes etc. Really clear to Fagan is nurturing a total footy environment and I think that's the most pleasing thing.

We are a frontier club, and I think the club really benefits when the playing group is tight - not in the "us against world" mentality, but rather more like a family.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Even stuff about west coast is pretty limited. Just have to here crap about Melbourne and Essendon and Richmond, and then 1 hour of banter. Must really suck to support a non Victorian and live in Victoria.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I just record the shows & skim through it later. That way I don't have to watch all of the other crap!

Good interview with Lyons on the roar deal and the importance on the work the midfielders do that isn’t captured by statistics.

Jonno Brown gave McStay a bit of a roast on On the Couch tonight. Footage of him getting out-positioned and out marked by multiple defenders and not really doing much to change the situation. Fair enough as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’d be more than welcome to come up and take him for a few one on one sessions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McStay has been working with Lynch, not sure how many champions he needs assistance from. Very patchy year from Dan so far IMV in what is a critical year for his career.

I have faith in him still. But I must admit the next 5 weeks are extremely critical for him. He needs to have 2 games where he bags 3 plus goals and the other games at least 2.

I have faith in him still. But I must admit the next 5 weeks are extremely critical for him. He needs to have 2 games where he bags 3 plus goals and the other games at least 2.

I’m not sure goals are the right metric. He could play terribly and grab a couple of cheapies per game.

I think he was pretty good in the first two games but I agree it’s important that he doesn’t get moved off the ball so easily. He’s physically mature now and I’d like to see some more signs of forward craft.

Little bit of weird timing for that joke with Cuts considering his feature on afl.com/not making it into the team this week.

What's that sound? Oh, it's Barrett being an absolute flog again.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...g/news-story/2c53adc18fb32e54ab9fbe8913ebda48

AFL 2019: Brisbane’s Luke Hodge fires back at comment by Damian Barrett over commentary gig

Brisbane veteran Luke Hodge has slammed comments suggesting he was paid to be interviewed during his side’s Easter Thursday clash against Collingwood.

Hodge was in the middle of Channel 7’s coverage during the Lions’ loss to the Magpies, but was fuming over comments by journalist Damian Barrett about the decision.
Channel 7 boundary rider and AFLW star Abbey Holmes asked Hodge for his insight a couple of times during the game as he came to the bench and Barrett was critical of Hodge in his weekly column, telling him to “focus on (his) footy club”.

“If Hodgey thinks it is a good idea to combine a well-paid media contract with a football one and provide commentary during an actual game of football, he might want to re-think it,” he wrote.

“Talking dribble within-match adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast, nor his now back-to-reality and consecutive-week thrashed team.

“Focus on your footy club, the media deals can be pursued when you’re retired.”

But Hodge fired back on Twitter, pointing out that AFL commentators often call for more access and saying he was not paid for the contributions.

"What an absolute knob, you think it was a paid gig? Media want players access, the club asked me to do so I did."

Speaking on Triple M on Saturday, Barrett responded to Hodge’s criticism by saying he gets nothing out of players’ in-game interviews but the Brisbane star doubled down when he joined the broadcast to discuss the matter.

“Your opinion was fine, everyone’s got an opinion and you didn’t like it. That’s no problem at all and I’ve got no issue with that,” Hodge said.

“What I didn’t like was your Sliding Doors (column) where it wasn’t an opinion, you were having a dig at me and a lot of the facts — a good reporter should cover the facts and make sure everything’s right.

“You didn’t cover your facts because had a lot of stuff which was wrong, mate.

“I do not have a well-paid media contract like you.”

Hodge admitted he’s getting paid by Channel 7 to work with the network for two games this season to prepare him should he want to pursue a media career in the future, but hit back at Barrett on a number of points and got a little terse when he was interrupted at one stage.

“Please don’t shut me off, I’m just talking and trying to answer your question,” Hodge said.

“What I get paid, you take out tax, management, accommodation, I wouldn’t be able to afford one of the wheels on your muscle car mate, that’s how little I get paid.

“I have not had a contract with a media company since 2012, with Channel 7, since 2012.

“I’m booked in to do two games this year for personal development if I want to pursue the media in the future.”

Hodge then rubbished suggestions he wouldn’t engage with the media in the same way he did on Thursday if his former coach at Hawthorn Alastair Clarkson was still in charge, and pointed to his decision to wear a microphone during a game for the Hawks to refute that claim.

The 34-year-old also took exception to suggestions he shouldn’t do media work if his side was struggling, pointing to a game last year when he did mid-game interviews when the Lions were winless after eight rounds.

“The second one you had incorrect was where you said I wouldn’t do that if Clarko was still my coach. Totally incorrect mate, in 2017 I wore a mic for a whole game ... so you’re wrong there,” Hodge said.

“Last year we played Hawthorn in Round 9. Do you know what the Lions’ win-loss ratio at that time was? Zero and eight mate and what I did that day was exactly the same as what I did on Thursday night.

“Have your opinion on whether you think the interview was good or bad ... but as far you having a personal go at me ... that’s where the ‘knob’ call came from.”

Hodge said Brisbane needs to do as much as possible to gain exposure for AFL as it competes alongside rugby league and rugby union for attention, and doesn’t believe he should have been targeted for trying to boost the sport’s profile.

Barrett conceded he was wrong to suggest Hodge wouldn’t have pursued the same media commitment while at Hawthorn but suggested the veteran may have overreacted to his column.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back