Changes v West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi guys. How is Duursma going? I really wanted him in the draft.

Also i think our clubs should come to an agreement to only play the last 5 min. Thats all we really need.

He and his cohort are all that is maintaining our interest in the rest of this season. If he's not totally Kenned by year end, he'll be a keeper. A bit of X factor about him. We may be a bit down about our club generally but our recruiting folks have given us some light at the end of the tunnel.

If the game comes down to the last kick again, I think I'd be stoked, as it would mean we've made the necessary changes to try and match you, even if that did mean triple teaming McGovern... Don't see it getting that close, but since our coach says we have a reasonable recent record against you we must be a chance (when we're not at home).

Blimey. This is all starting to make GP's nine changes look like a thing. If nothing else it'll put some interest back into the game.

I’m just going by Bassett saying that if you can’t bring the ball to ground in a contest in the forward line, we’ll select someone who can.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does anyone have the stats on the recent SANFL games? Who are the 3 players first in line for a call up on form?

I'm thinking Mayes needs to be given a game. Marshall needs to go back in to give us a target up forward.

I probably wouldn't make anymore than 3 or 4 changes.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I reckon he needs to throw the helmet away and harden up.

We know he loves rucking all day and carrying that responsibility for the side.

We need to drill in to him how important he is for our chance of success up forward.

Drill into him he as dangerous up forward as he is in the ruck and with Dixon our he is our most important forward.

Wines has an excuse coming back from injury, but you’re absolutely right.

I wouldn't even give Wines the luxury of the excuse of coming back from injury. He chose to go water skiing on the eve of the season. That's his prior opportunity spent. Players suffer enough injuries as it is, preventable injuries are just such a bad, bad look. Especially for a co-captain whose 2019 will probably mirror Rockliff's 2018.

I’m just going by Bassett saying that if you can’t bring the ball to ground in a contest in the forward line, we’ll select someone who can.
Not only can Ladhams take a mark, but he's pretty good below his knees too.

I think when Dixon comes back, everything will be fine. But we need a replacement for him right now. Maybe Ladhams will be that guy. We've tried a system without it, and it works on the wider MCG where there is more space, but on the smaller Adelaide Oval it's just not going to happen.

I'd personally rather send Westhoff back to a wing where he is most dangerous, pair him with Lienert on the other wing and have one or both drift back into defence if necessary.

That way, you can let your half backs like Houston, Burton and Broadbent push forward into midfield safe in the knowledge that if they do, someone will be covering for them in defence. That's what Watts was doing before he got injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think when Dixon comes back, everything will be fine. But we need a replacement for him right now. Maybe Ladhams will be that guy. We've tried a system without it, and it works on the wider MCG where there is more space, but on the smaller Adelaide Oval it's just not going to happen.

I'd personally rather send Westhoff back to a wing where he is most dangerous, pair him with Lienert on the other wing and have one or both drift back into defence if necessary.

That way, you can let your half backs like Houston, Burton and Broadbent push forward into midfield safe in the knowledge that if they do, someone will be covering for them in defence. That's what Watts was doing before he got injured.
I think having Duursma and Amon on the wings achieves the same thing.

Amon was constantly beating his man to the ball when we played Melbourne, if he is back this week I think it’ll be a pretty good inclusion.

I think having Duursma and Amon on the wings achieves the same thing.

Amon was constantly beating his man to the ball when we played Melbourne, if he is back this week I think it’ll be a pretty good inclusion.

Duursma was the only Port player in the top five for distance covered and was number one for distance covered at high speed.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ryder wont be dropped.

I think Lienert and Marshall are certainties to come in. If Amon is ready, I would pick him too. If he is not, Id get Farrell in.

My changes would be:

in - Lienert Marshall Amon/Farrell
out - Bonner S Gray Drew

I reckon it will be only two (ken won't want to disrupt a losing side) - Lienert and Marshall.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i liked the Motlop that played in the Carlton game, the Motlop of the last two weeks thoroughly deserves to be dropped though ahead of someone like Drew.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bass said people will only come in if they benefit the team, surely they don't hold themselves to that at selection do they? Kind seems like a negative way to look at it.

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I want Marshall, Broadbent, Amon, Lienert, Mayes and Farrell in the team.

Common denominator there, they can all kick the damn ball.

Out for all them would be S.Gray, Butters, DBJ, Bonner, Motlop and Howard.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Omit: DBJ, Motlop and S Gray
In: Lienert, Marshall and Farrell

Probably rewarding Trengove for a 1st year player might be a good call to ensure they do not feel too comfortable. Butters attempt to take a hanger after the Houston goal that caused a rebound and goal to Richmond was poor. I am a fan of him, but there needs to be consequences for not doing the right team action. Mind you, Ken has set a woeful precedence to continue to reward under performing senior players.

Wont matter, we will get fist pumped anyway

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bass said people will only come in if they benefit the team, surely they don't hold themselves to that at selection do they? Kind seems like a negative way to look at it.

Hi it’s right, form is one thing but you should need to make the team better.

It’s why Trengove struggles to get games even though he is easily the best player in the twos and has been for some time. He struggles to find a spot in the AFL side. (Needs Boak or Rocky to go out)

It’s all well and good to say that publicly, but it’s pretty clear that logic is not followed when it comes to selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back