Preview Good Friday football - Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles @ Optus Stadium

Who will kick the goal after the siren to win the match?

• Luke Shuey

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Jeremy McGovern

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Dom Sheed

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Jack Watts on crutches, celebrates by snorting a line of wiesn pulver in the goal square

Votes: 42 59.2%

• Total voters
You don't need to tag McGovern, just make him accountable.

The fact that we should be playing Marshall should be half the battle, but we just need to control the aerial battle and make McGovern feel like he has to defend. None of this bombing high balls in when we're not setup for them.
That's right you actually ******* play on him not this bullshit play 30m off him rubbish. That is called tagging in the modern game, where nobody plays on anybody.

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I just came in here to offer an invitation to join in on our board's preview thread / adventure, as well as a half-hearted apology for some of my harsh comments about PAFC in the OP.

But then I read this thread, and now I'm actually sorry to say that I might've said more positive things about the strengths of your club than is found here. And I barely had anything good to say :rainbow:

Hyperbole aside, I'm still a big Lycett fan, and think there's lots to be optimistic about with your recent draftees in particular. Have liked seeing Drew's intent in particular, kid wants to win every contest. No messiahs in your recent trade-ins, just very naughty boys - still, lots that can win games off their own boots every blue moon. Expecting you to keep improving across the year (assuming some better luck with injuries) as the team learns to work together and implement the game plan better.

gl for Fri y'all

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just came in here to offer an invitation to join in on our board's preview thread / adventure, as well as a half-hearted apology for some of my harsh comments about PAFC in the OP.

But then I read this thread, and now I'm actually sorry to say that I might've said more positive things about the strengths of your club than is found here. And I barely had anything good to say :rainbow:

Hyperbole aside, I'm still a big Lycett fan, and think there's lots to be optimistic about with your recent draftees in particular. Have liked seeing Drew's intent in particular, kid wants to win every contest. No messiahs in your recent trade-ins, just very naughty boys - still, lots that can win games off their own boots every blue moon. Expecting you to keep improving across the year (assuming some better luck with injuries) as the team learns to work together and implement the game plan better.

gl for Fri y'all

It must be fun going into a game where even if by some miracle you get outplayed comprehensively, you know you'll still win in heartbreaking fashion

You don't need to tag McGovern, just make him accountable.

The fact that we should be playing Marshall should be half the battle, but we just need to control the aerial battle and make McGovern feel like he has to defend. None of this bombing high balls in when we're not setup for them.

Honestly, I'd play Marshall on McGovern. I wouldn't tag him per se, I'd just tell Todd to follow him wherever he goes so he gets into the right positions (because that's what McGovern excels at). Then I'd instruct Marshall to use his pace to burn him off at ground level.

This does two things: 1. It leads Marshall to the ball and keeps him in the play at all times. 2. It reduces McGovern's effectiveness as an intercept marker.

Guys like Rance and McGovern read the play exceptionally well and can see what is happening two kicks before it ends up where it does. How McGovern plays is exactly how we want Marshall to play as a forward - to be in the right position to be that link up into the forward line.

I don't trust Westhoff to have the speed necessary to close him down.

Skindy

Senior List
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The only way we stop McGovern is by playing a fast brand of football. If we can transition quickly from defence to attack then we dont give him time to set up for intercept marks. If we play our slow, telegraph that we are kicking it down the line, gameplan of 2018 then he will have a huge impact. After Saturday's effort against Richmond I have no faith in our ball movement again.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So far my gut has been right with all results. This week my gut is telling me we will win it.

Just fits the story so well. Heavy underdogs, pressure building on ken and the board. Perfect time to win and cover the cracks for awhile.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
gtrfdswa.jpg
oijhtr.jpg
jgrds.jpg

drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
So far my gut has been right with all results. This week my gut is telling me we will win it.

Just fits the story so well. Heavy underdogs, pressure building on ken and the board. Perfect time to win and cover the cracks for awhile.
Nah it’s the perfect time for example 12457 that our structures and tactics are a utter fail only for the clubs post a YouTube video titled “Two wins...” and a post match video with a random player

Yeah lost the contest
Credit to the opposition
Not really sure why we lost it
Ken was sad
Looking forward to bouncing back against (whatever club has the benefit of beating us at home)
Just need to get around each other and go for a water ski we need lives ya know

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At least Wingard won’t be here to kick it to McGovern in the final 2 minutes.

Unfortunately we still have Wines, Boak, Ebert and SPP to do that.

But hey! Its something!

Back