Unofficial Preview round 5 we have to play again sorry this time against richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't a fantastic debut but I'd still give him another game. Richmond are relatively young

And Melbourne were fossils? He is clearly not ready. It’s better for his own game that he not be playing senior footy. I’d rather him be finding and winning a lot of the footy in the NEAFL and gaining confidence from that than struggling in the senior side where he’s a boy amongst men.

And Melbourne were fossils? He is clearly not ready. It’s better for his own game that he not be playing senior footy. I’d rather him be finding and winning a lot of the footy in the NEAFL and gaining confidence from that than struggling in the senior side where he’s a boy amongst men.

I'm just not a fan of giving guys 1 game. We aren't winning this game regardless, happy to see Mcinnerney a bit more

I'm just not a fan of giving guys 1 game. We aren't winning this game regardless, happy to see Mcinnerney a bit more

normally agree, but he was a fair way off the pace, couldnt get a touch really

Thought he was better on replay, didn't get the touches but he put in.

I don't care who plays just not Clarke please! He makes Jordan Foot look like an elite kick!

How is it good for him though when he could be finding form and confidence in the reserves?

My counter argument is now we've made that call to give him a game, we think he's good enough. A couple of games won't harm him.

Thought he was better on replay, didn't get the touches but he put in.

I don't care who plays just not Clarke please! He makes Jordan Foot look like an elite kick!

he put his head over it I agree,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t think of many who have plateaued? Hayward & Florent by any stretch had much better 2018 seasons than 2017. Ronke and McCartin only debuted last year. Heeney has got better with each season, albeit still not at the level we hope he will reach. Last year Hewett was very good at tagging. Not a pretty role that earns recognition but he fulfilled it consistently. Aliir had an All Australian-worthy half of 2018 and has carried that form into this year.

Mills didn’t even play much last year and four games in the current season just isn’t enough of a sample to judge whether he’s plateaued. I will concede that early signs suggest he won’t ever be more than a decent-at-best defender. Which isn’t surprising considering, y’know, he’s not one.

Hewett, Papley, Mills, and to a lesser extent Heeney (depends if his form this season is more like the last two rounds or the first two rounds) have all plateaued from hugely promising starts to their careers.

I'm not writing all these guys off obviously, but I think if you went back in time to after their debut seasons and made a post laying out how their 2018/beginning of 2019 season would go, everyone would be disappointed.

Aliir? He’s been great this year bar his one Hawthorn game against Carlton

He has been very good, but a long way short of his potential to dominate the backline. I think the pre season rucking did not help. He plays best methinks with a clear brain.

He was not well used. Not once did teammates play to his strengths which is to get a receive and run.

Look of course he played a shocker. Not arguing this. However it was a dire Jose Horsey fail to play him and not use his strengths.

Fagan emphasises to each player their strengths and tries to organise his team around his players expressing their strengths. I doubt Jose cgaf about strengths of newbies in the team.

Hewett, Papley, Mills, and to a lesser extent Heeney (depends if his form this season is more like the last two rounds or the first two rounds) have all plateaued from hugely promising starts to their careers.

I'm not writing all these guys off obviously, but I think if you went back in time to after their debut seasons and made a post laying out how their 2018/beginning of 2019 season would go, everyone would be disappointed.
Mills you can hardly rate because of injury (2018) but I thought Hewett was fantastic last year. The others...meh

Feeling we can use him as trade bait to Adelaide to increase our draft strength
Well that would be a terrible black mark full stop to Jose's career. George is a fine player whose career has been totally screwed by the coach.

Well that would be a terrible black mark full stop to Jose's career. George is a fine player whose career has been totally screwed by the coach.
Every teams coach would look like Jose if they're full of unathletic slow no frills decently average players. You can only afford to have so many Craig birds in your team.

I’m predicting a few surprises at selection this week.

- Sam Wicks will debut. Ronke looks out of sorts and Wicks was probably our best pressure forward in the NEAFL on the weekend. Horse loves to pull a rookie surprise out of nowhere (Papley, Melican, Ronke.) Perris implied they weren’t entirely sold on Rowbottom in a forward role yet, and that’s the only way I could see him cracking into the team (which is absurd as he’s a pure mid.)

- If McInerney is dropped (if he’s not that in itself would be a surprise), I think they’ll go with Stoddart over COR on that half back role. He was the travelling emergency against the Blues and has had a few impressive NEAFL games. Plus the rush to get McInerney in tells me Horse & co are desperate to inject some outside pace into the team.

I personally would go out McInerney & Blakey, in COR & Rowbottom.
wicks is a cat b rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back