Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Good win. Great first half but error ridden second.
Congrats to Spurs. Beating City must be one of the hardest things going in soccer at the moment.
Kane injury might derail their season, but great fight from Spurs after that penalty save.

Also will give them confidence to know that they can beat City, as they'll play them in the league right after their second leg next week - huge for us, need at least a draw out of that game.

I wanted us to kick on and get a 3rd but I'll happily take 2-0, could've easily been 2-1 as Porto were coming pretty hard in the final 20 minutes.

Hoping we play Man Utd in the Semi's, but my head says Barca will beat them - and what a spectacle that'd be - especially at Anfield!

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Kane injury might derail their season, but great fight from Spurs after that penalty save.

Also will give them confidence to know that they can beat City, as they'll play them in the league right after their second leg next week - huge for us, need at least a draw out of that game.

I wanted us to kick on and get a 3rd but I'll happily take 2-0, could've easily been 2-1 as Porto were coming pretty hard in the final 20 minutes.

Hoping we play Man Utd in the Semi's, but my head says Barca will beat them - and what a spectacle that'd be - especially at Anfield!
Yes, if that plays out we'll be seeing Coutinho & Suarez. I think Louis will get a warm welcome but doubt Phil will enjoy it much.

JiggsteR45

All Australian
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

“Hoping we play Man Utd in the Semi’s” ....... hmmmmm? A WEE bit ahead of yourself there mate, with the greatest respect. Porto were very dangerous on the counter attack and created several good chances. I’m not saying the Reds will be eliminated, BUT.... an early Porto goal on their own midden could make things VERY interesting.
I’m sure that Juergen Klopp won’t be thinking about potential Semi-final opponents🥴 (not while a second leg still remains to be completed)

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

“Hoping we play Man Utd in the Semi’s” ....... hmmmmm? A WEE bit ahead of yourself there mate, with the greatest respect. Porto were very dangerous on the counter attack and created several good chances. I’m not saying the Reds will be eliminated, BUT.... an early Porto goal on their own midden could make things VERY interesting.
I’m sure that Juergen Klopp won’t be thinking about potential Semi-final opponents🥴 (not while a second leg still remains to be completed)

And that is why he is the coach and I am a supporter.

Nothing suggests to me that we won't advance.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I'll be at the match against Barcelona tonight. I have the feeling of the condemned man about to meet his executioner.
Good luck man! Cheer long and hard! We will need it, don't blame you for feeling pessimistic
I'm dreading this game and Rashford is in doubt too i believe!
Last 3 weeks have been most concerning since Ole's winning run ended! Also not liking Pogba's head being turned by Real Madrid again!
Just when he was beginning to repay some of the considerable faith the club has shown in the lad, it's all about him and his greedy
Agent again! With big question marks against many players future at the club, i'm very concerned we are going to miss top 4
And cop the dreaded Thurs night nightmare all over again!

The only solace i'm taking right now, is that in the magnificent history of this phenomenal football club is that times like these are
When United do defy the odds! We will need all that renowned spirit and then some tonight i fear!

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
Good luck man! Cheer long and hard! We will need it, don't blame you for feeling pessimistic
I'm dreading this game and Rashford is in doubt too i believe!
Last 3 weeks have been most concerning since Ole's winning run ended! Also not liking Pogba's head being turned by Real Madrid again!
Just when he was beginning to repay some of the considerable faith the club has shown in the lad, it's all about him and his greedy
Agent again! With big question marks against many players future at the club, i'm very concerned we are going to miss top 4
And cop the dreaded Thurs night nightmare all over again!

The only solace i'm taking right now, is that in the magnificent history of this phenomenal football club is that times like these are
When United do defy the odds! We will need all that renowned spirit and then some tonight i fear!

Yes, it will be next season until we find out what Ole can really bring to the table. Rumours that half a dozen or so players will be moved out, then we'll see his signings. A win tonight would really re-ignite the excitement, but it's a tall order.

JiggsteR45

All Australian
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’ve just heard the news that “The Anfield Iron” ( Tommy Smith ) passed away overnight, at the age of 74, after a long battle with dementia. Although my blood flows Everton Royal Blue I had great respect for the Liverpool side built by Shanks. I was born (like Tommy Smith) in Liverpool, in 1945. The city was recovering from the Second World War and times were hard, with rationing still in force. I was born and bred in Anfield and saw Tommy Smith make his Liverpool debut ( 1964 ) the guy was as tough as teak, but could also play a bit too! The Anfield Iron epitomised the spirit of that first great LFC side.
My sincerest condolences to all LFC supporters in their sad loss

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Been a great weekend for a Saints Red!

Chelsea and Hawthorn are kind of similar as well, both sweet clubs to beat, recently successful, smug supporters, etc.

The Emiliano Sala tragedy has regrettably stemmed my boundless hate for Neil Warnock, and I find myself reluctant to wish him too much pain, a stance that a few months ago would have astonished me.

Still I hope we stuff em to increase our goal difference, should we need it.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Could this week get any better? Now LFC just have to beat Porto tomorrow and they get an awesome semi final against Barcelona!

Hopefully ManU now restore pride and secure champions League next season with a win against their local rivals.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
4 games from hopefully being able to join this thread next season!
Good luck mate, it's been a long time for you! I can remember Leeds being one of the best in the old first division. It was quite tragic what happened to them. Liverpool got a fair way down that track with those nutters Hicks & Gillett.

Good luck mate, it's been a long time for you! I can remember Leeds being one of the best in the old first division. It was quite tragic what happened to them. Liverpool got a fair way down that track with those nutters Hicks & Gillett.
I remember the days when Leeds were such a powerhouse.....the early to mid 70's......when Elland Road was a fortress.........the Gray brothers etc.

They were always on the "Big Match" show hosted by Brian Moore.

Always loved Liverpool/Leeds matches.

Ahhh...those were the days.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Thanks mate! Been a crazy year, 3 points clear of the blades who have a couple key injuries now so it’s firmly in our hands.
15 years out of the premiership is too long! And getting 5,500 away supporters on a Tuesday night just shows the support we have.

Back