Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Willo_23

Senior List
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Just goes to show how much we missed him in the opening three rounds. He's just huge not only for our playstyle but I think as a bit of a leader in that forward line as well.

Like Lynch, he's only going to get better as the weeks progress and his match fitness builds, and despite what the naysayers think, I'm still really excited at the prospect of a Lynch, Riewoldt and Caddy forward line.

Makes the rest of the fwd line walk taller imo, has become real leader.

His mongrel and size also intimidates the oppo which can play a huge part

we missed him big time

The bloke has had to play undersized key position manned by opppos 2nd best defender.

When Jack comes back, suddenly Caddy gets the 3rd best defender and will dine out.

Lets assume Jack is back for Anzac Eve, these are Caddys likely next 5 defenders....

- Crozier?
- Ryan
- Sicily?
- Ambrose

Book him in for 20 snags

Lets assume Jack is back for Anzac Eve, these are Caddys likely next 5 defenders....

- Crozier?
- Ryan
- Sicily?
- Ambrose

Book him in for 20 snags

Sicily the only one I reckon that can stop him

I noticed he bought the forwards in around him at a couple of points during Saturday’s game, it looked like was instructing some of them, good to see him taking a leadership role in our forward line with Jack out injured.

Sicily should have him covered the air, probably not as strong though. 1v1 will be good to watch as I think caddy should be able to out body him

Can see caddy getting in Sicily’s head and we get a few cheap free kicks as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
just me or he seems to get a lot of those soccer goals like when lynch handballed it out to him on saturday? when he was going for the kick off the ground i already knew it was gonna go in
He though that out rather than just toe poking it and kicking the *en thing out on the full like a few others would do , thinking mans footballer is caddy

Sicily should have him covered the air, probably not as strong though. 1v1 will be good to watch as I think caddy should be able to out body him
Sicily will need to peel off him to help with Jack and Lynch which will be good for Caddy

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Dusty now Caddy is back. I personally would just play Dusty mainly mid and tell him to get down and dirty. Play himself back into form.

Play Cads as the main medium forward, with midfield time when Dusty needs a rest. I reckon now that Caddy is a better forward than Dusty. So play to our strengths and also allow us to play Dusty more flexibly.

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
Since he come into the side is it by chance we look a lot better.Pressure and tackling etc just gives us physical presence out there with his mojo to.Super important.

Brings options to our forward line too. Even though we struggled with execution and decision making going forward last night, Cads makes our forward set up look so much better. We look a lot more likely up front with him playing.

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Caddy’s best position is a a medium forward, no doubt about it. I cannot wait until we get a fit Lynch, Riewoldt & Caddy all playing in the one forwardline. With Dusty floating in and out and a mixture of smalls that gives us some serious firing power.

However with Cotchin out, Edwards now playing in the backline and Dusty yet to really get going we could really do with another big body and some experience on the ball.

I think he’s got to have a run in the midfield over the coming few weeks.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Well, what is this 'new role' that Dimma has been trialling for Caddy last week and will again this week in the Magoos? As he said in his presser "go and have a look"

I'm thinking as a defender, cos he said "we know he can play forward and as an inside/outside mid"

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Well, what is this 'new role' that Dimma has been trialling for Caddy last week and will again this week in the Magoos? As he said in his presser "go and have a look"

I'm thinking as a defender, cos he said "we know he can play forward and as an inside/outside mid"
I don’t think there’s any need to change his role, was very close to being All Australian last year.

He’s played as a mid/forward throughout the first quarter and a bit in the VFL game this afternoon. (Played more midfield time though. We probably won’t need him to play as much in the forward line with Lynch now in the team but I think it’s important we have our players playing to their strengths.

He’s had a very tough year, didn’t get a real preseason and was almost rushed into the side when we had the early season injury carnage and then played through the rest of the injury run. He’s yet to get a run in the side since the bulk of our players gave returned. He’s a very important part to our side, I’ve got no issues with him playing VFL to gain fitness and form. However it’s equally important for him to get a good run in the first team before finals. I’m hoping he’s back in next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back