Autopsy Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
He pulled it back in then didn’t even pretend to try to handball it out. Usually they act like it’s being held to them by manically handballing without releasing it.

Yeah, not to say the decision was wrong, just that late in a tight game the ump could easily have let it go. The crowd did the job though.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Nah, just rewatched it and think the umpire got it right. Brown clearly runs a couple of metres over the line. The spot he points to wasn't close to where the mark actually was.

Frustrating as hell, but really Brown should know better. 30 seconds to go, that was the only way they realistically get a shot at goal.

Correct. Stupid by Brown. If we are going to rush up on the mark which is great they need to maybe be a bit short of the mark. He was over and if you rush up like that the umpire isn't going to warn you. Its 50 straight away. Still like the rushing up though. Just be clever about it.

Brown looks like he did cross the line, but would have thought he was a bit hard done by. Picked a spot and ran to it, plus no warning which you don't often see. If I recall they got away with a similar one earlier in the quarter.

Then again, shouldn't complain. They have a pretty good eye for this sort of thing...

yipper

Rookie
Oct 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm convinced that Longy and Panther have steel inserts in their shoulders. There's no way blokes their size should be hitting as hard as they are and just walking it off. It's inhuman!

Billy Slater - His influence is definately starting to show for me.

The tackling at the saints this season has gone through the roof - both in numbers and intensity. They are tackling to hurt.. Dorks were all walking around very sore after the game, carrying bruises and gashes from the maniacal and very fierce tackling ability of this saints team. My son was in their rooms after the game - believe me they were stuffed.

I bet if there was a stat for actual completed, successful tackles -we would be no.1, and if there was a stat for opposing players being hurt in the tackle we would again be no. 1. The tackling technique has definately been worked on and improved. They are crunching them hard every time.
Has to be the influence of Billy Slater - he has taught them how to bring down an opponent legally and aggressively. This in turn has given our young team great confidence in themselves - and in combination with a much more straight forward game plan that plays to our strengths much more - we are on the rise.

Great to watch. Love seeing oppo players wince when they get a bone jarring tackle brilliantly executed. Makes you want to cough the ball up before you get hit!!!

Keep it up sainters - very impressed.

PlayerNumber9

Number 9
Mar 6, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Correct. Stupid by Brown. If we are going to rush up on the mark which is great they need to maybe be a bit short of the mark. He was over and if you rush up like that the umpire isn't going to warn you. Its 50 straight away. Still like the rushing up though. Just be clever about it.
The galling thing is that that's exactly what the hawthorn players did every single time we took a mark within the protected zone in front of goals. In each case he asked the hawthorn player to come back to the correct mark - which duly wasted the few seconds they wanted to set-up down field. They are clearly coached to do this, and should be penalised for it.

Bottom line is we got penalised for doing something they did several time, and they did so much more deliberately.

The galling thing is that that's exactly what the hawthorn players did every single time we took a mark within the protected zone in front of goals. In each case he asked the hawthorn player to come back to the correct mark - which duly wasted the few seconds they wanted to set-up down field. They are clearly coached to do this, and should be penalised for it.

Bottom line is we got penalised for doing something they did several time, and they did so much more deliberately.

Hope you werent expecting any intelligent reply or discussion instead of just a childish grunt haha.

But yes, if you can't tell from my spamming of clips I've watched the whole game over a couple of times now and you're right, there were a couple of instances where this happened the other way and they had plenty of time and repeated warnings to back up. But hey. We won :)

giphy.gif
perfect height tackle to lower him

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I dare you to post that gif on the Hawks board.

I'd love to but I've alreadyy been abused by a Hawks supporters for simply posting the actual outs from the best starting 22 for both sides prior to last weeks game, the ToG injury stats and suggesting that if we lost I'd have actually blamed Lonie not the umpires.

Apparently that means I have dubious parentage and a very low IQ. Got me all narky so I've posted the official AFL Holding the Ball video for them to look at.

1.07 onwards

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-03-17/2017-laws-of-the-game-holding-the-ball

Could swear I was watching the Mirra Lonie and Bruce incident.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
What's with this extra player standing right next to the man on the mark?

Noticed a few times by the hawks.

Many times. I think it’s a silly idea because you must be a man shirt somewhere. Let them do it. It’s legal as long as they are behind. The umpires told them to move back so much. It was annoying

Billy Slater - His influence is definately starting to show for me.

The tackling at the saints this season has gone through the roof - both in numbers and intensity. They are tackling to hurt.. Dorks were all walking around very sore after the game, carrying bruises and gashes from the maniacal and very fierce tackling ability of this saints team. My son was in their rooms after the game - believe me they were stuffed.

I bet if there was a stat for actual completed, successful tackles -we would be no.1, and if there was a stat for opposing players being hurt in the tackle we would again be no. 1. The tackling technique has definately been worked on and improved. They are crunching them hard every time.
Has to be the influence of Billy Slater - he has taught them how to bring down an opponent legally and aggressively. This in turn has given our young team great confidence in themselves - and in combination with a much more straight forward game plan that plays to our strengths much more - we are on the rise.

Great to watch. Love seeing oppo players wince when they get a bone jarring tackle brilliantly executed. Makes you want to cough the ball up before you get hit!!!

Keep it up sainters - very impressed.

Totally crap post ..... only joking . Exactly right , its been a long time since the Saints have tackled like they are at the moment . And its filtered through to other players , guys you wouldnt expect , for example i saw Newnes do about 3 bone jarring tackles against the Hawks . Last season i was into him for not having any tackles but he has certainly regained his fire . From what i saw against the Hawks all our players went in hard and made their players feel the tackles . So many times after the ball was kicked away there was a Hawks player bent over feeling sore . It was great to watch . Even going for marks our players seemed to want to make some sort of contact .

However , i watched the Hawthorn defence in marking duels and they are expert at bumping players out of position with their bodies while they fly for marks . It is a deliberate act and perhaps its something that should be looked at , its just about tunneling the way they do it .

Don’t Panic !!

Another example of Lonies improved tackling . The goal Newnes kicks from a handball over the top from Acres i think , was because Lonie tackled a Hawk and dragged him to the ground and the umpire paid holding the ball but the ball jolted free to Acres so advantage was paid .

Don’t Panic !!

Another example of Lonies improved tackling . The goal Newnes kicks from a handball over the top from Acres i think , was because Lonie tackled a Hawk and dragged him to the ground and the umpire paid holding the ball but the ball jolted free to Acres so advantage was paid .

Don’t Panic !!

I gotchu

That was quick lol. Perfect , a great tackle by Lonie . In previous years the defender would have just shrugged Lonie off , not this year .

Don’t Panic !!

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the hard-fought win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. In case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces. Given the closeness of the game, I've switched things up and listed who you were relying on in the last term to get the job done, rather than a 2nd half summary.

Overall Summary - 23

Billings 21 wing
Steele 20
Newnes 19 wing
Ross 18
Gresham 18
Sinclair 8 (1w)
Clark 5
Lonie 3 wing
Acres 2 (1w, 1i)
Long 1 wing

Rucks:

Marshall 21
Acres 1
Bruce 1

1st Half - 12

Billings 12 wing
Newnes 10 wing
Gresham 10
Steele 9
Ross 9
Clark 5
Sinclair 4 (1w)
Acres 1 wing

Marshall 12

Final Term - 3

Billings 3 wing
Steele 3
Newnes 3 wing
Gresham 3
Ross 2
Sinclair 1

Marshall 3

Notes:
- First time Billings has been the most utilised mid (in analysed games)
- Most starts for Gresham (in analysed games)
- Marshall had the highest percentage of bounces attended for a Saints lead ruck (in analysed games) since Hickey in Rd 8, 2018

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Awesome stuff Hubs!

How about the play where the ball was kicked Long into our forwardline and Lonie did a ripper job to fly against two who were much taller than him, and he brought it to ground and then I think he got a quick kick forward, which Sicily intercepted, and then Lonie charged down his kick and laid a crunching tackle on Sicily over the boundary line (in the far forward pocket, probably mid to late 3rd quarter.

Was a play that summed up his day.

That was quick lol. Perfect , a great tackle by Lonie . In previous years the defender would have just shrugged Lonie off , not this year .

Don’t Panic !!
Lonie has given 100% effort every second he has played this year.

Our tackling was brilliant on the weekend but we have to give a special mention to probably the smallest guy in the AFL. Jack LONIE is a tackling 'cannon ball' this year, his aggression and technique are a sight to behold.

Kudos has to go the Richo, Slater and the other coaches for our tackling pressure its been game changing. More kudos to the selection committee and coaches for trusting Sinclair, Gresham to play Dunstans role, a week late but it happened. Further the move of Acres rucking which I was skeptical about, but it was a big winner this week. Hopefully it gives Blake the confidence he needs going forward.

We also don’t seem to be giving away nearly as many free kicks as we used to for careless tackles. It’s obvious that their technique has improved.

Don’t Panic !!
Awesome stuff Hubs!

How about the play where the ball was kicked Long into our forwardline and Lonie did a ripper job to fly against two who were much taller than him, and he brought it to ground and then I think he got a quick kick forward, which Sicily intercepted, and then Lonie charged down his kick and laid a crunching tackle on Sicily over the boundary line (in the far forward pocket, probably mid to late 3rd quarter.

Was a play that summed up his day.

gifs in 30 seconds or your next one's free

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Freakin hilarious looking at the Hawks autopsy thread.
Whinging about the umpires like crazy.
This salty tears one caught my eye cos yeah the Saints went in with a full healthy list to choose from and that your honour is why we played 6 kids with under 20 games experience............ Ya Muppet!

What do you expect when we lose Jaegar before the game, then 2 key defenders, especially Stratts. I was actually pretty impressed with the Hawks effort. Just shows that Saints are pretty ordinary by only winning by a few points. We could have almost snagged a win except for some dubious decisions. That HTB was ******* bullshit in the most critical time and in front of there goals. But what’s new!!??

Back