Recommitted Sam Weideman [re-signs until 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would he? By that time he’d be an 8 year Melbourne player, he’d have his own personal friends at the club, He’s already a finals player, and creating his own legacy at Melbourne. He’d be well and truly entrenched at Melbourne by then which he probably is right now, he wouldn’t give up on he’s doing at Melbourne because his grandad played at another club 60 years ago.

Players don’t leave clubs to play for their childhood team they supported. They really only leave for go home reasons or better opportunities.

Strangely despite his name, he was actually never a Collingwood supporter - instead he supported Richmond.

I’d say he’d attract a mid-late first rounder at the trade table. He needs to both step up a level and do it consistently if he wants a big contract. I’d say that’s 2 years away at best.

Not that Melbourne will putting him on the table.

Why would he? By that time he’d be an 8 year Melbourne player, he’d have his own personal friends at the club, He’s already a finals player, and creating his own legacy at Melbourne. He’d be well and truly entrenched at Melbourne by then which he probably is right now, he wouldn’t give up on he’s doing at Melbourne because his grandad played at another club 60 years ago.

Players don’t leave clubs to play for their childhood team they supported. They really only leave for go home reasons or better opportunities.

Yep. Can count on one hand the number of clear best-22 players of Victorian origin who’ve moved from one Melbourne club to another in the last 15 years. It never happens.

Hibberd, Melksham, D.Thomas, Stringer, Carlisle, McEvoy, Roughead, Higgins...

Once they are 5+ years in the system things change. I don't know why you would even bother trying to defend against an argument saying Weideman could move in 5 years? It's nothing to be offended by.

Once they are 5+ years in the system things change. I don't know why you would even bother trying to defend against an argument saying Weideman could move in 5 years? It's nothing to be offended by.
Most of those players were forced out by unique circumstances

Most of those players were forced out by unique circumstances

Apart from the Essendon 4 (add Crameri), how can `most` be `unique`?

Add Dal Santo, Waite, Houli, Goddard. Barely even pushed it 5 years, let alone 15.

Basically no point getting upset at a suggestion that a player may leave a club in 6 years time even once they've “forged a legacy” and “played finals”. Injuries, free agency, and `unique` circumstances may all occur.

Not offended by it.

Stringer? Don’t remember his miss behaviour which led to his bulldogs teammates needing to tell him to pull his head in? He needed a fresh start.

As I said players really only leave for better opportunity, the players you mentioned had better opportunities, those opportunities are different each circumstance.

I can’t see what opportunities Weid would get joining Collingwood than what he gets at Melbourne, other than the opportunity to play at the same club his grandad did 60 years earlier.

Apart from the Essendon 4 (add Crameri), how can `most` be `unique`?

Add Dal Santo, Waite, Houli, Goddard. Barely even pushed it 5 years, let alone 15.

Basically no point getting upset at a suggestion that a player may leave a club in 6 years time even once they've “forged a legacy” and “played finals”. Injuries, free agency, and `unique` circumstances may all occur.
If Weideman wants to leave for better money when he’s 30+ like Goddard, Dal Santo, Waite he can be my guest. The point is that Victorian players almost never leave for another Victorian club if they’re best 22 unless there’s some circumstance that pushes them out, like a falling out of favour with the playing group/coach. They usually get paid what they want and it’s in their interests to stay if they can. Opportunity is a unique circumstance. Unless something drastically changes Weideman isn’t going to get better opportunities to make a pay packet in Victoria than he will get at the Dees

If Weideman wants to leave for better money when he’s 30+ like Goddard, Dal Santo, Waite he can be my guest. The point is that Victorian players almost never leave for another Victorian club if they’re best 22 unless there’s some circumstance that pushes them out, like a falling out of favour with the playing group/coach. They usually get paid what they want and it’s in their interests to stay if they can. Opportunity is a unique circumstance. Unless something drastically changes Weideman isn’t going to get better opportunities to make a pay packet in Victoria than he will get at the Dees

The media mentioning he is after 650 a year... I wonder if Melb is pot committed now they have let Hogan go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs will pay more for a KPF who has potential. So if he was deadset on more $ he’ll probably play elsewhere next year. IMO he keep improving this year. I can see him re signing for maybe 2 years on less than the current figure being thrown around.
But we all know managers will start high in negotiations.

The average salary now is something like $375k, isn’t it? For a skinny 21yo forward that’s been BOG in a final he can definitely do better than $450k, esp if he kicks 30+ goals this year.

Its about 300 on potential.. but ask Tom Boyd about that..
Difference is Tom Boyd was seen as having enormous future potential and was 19, so his price was somewhat justified. Weideman is mid 20s, can't assume he sees massive growth from here. He'd be incredibly lucky to get 650k considering how he's started this season. He's 22 this year so room to grow. Maybe clubs do speculate

Last edited:
Difference is Tom Boyd was seen as having enormous future potential and was 19, so his price was somewhat justified. Weideman is mid 20s, can't assume he sees massive growth from here. He'd be incredibly lucky to get 650k considering how he's started this season

How are you the second person to miss the fact that we've posted he's 21, lol?

How are you the second person to miss the fact that we've posted he's 21, lol?
I read someone say he's 24 so assumed that was true, my mistake. The fact he's 21 helps a bit in his value in that case

Difference is Tom Boyd was seen as having enormous future potential and was 19, so his price was somewhat justified. Weideman is mid 20s, can't assume he sees massive growth from here. He'd be incredibly lucky to get 650k considering how he's started this season

The Dogs went hard an got there man..but TB was WAY overs. ...and it one case that lives up that ideal.. i don't care what he does if he just plays one good game in a GF and and we win a flag.

The Dogs went hard an got there man..but TB was WAY overs. ...and it one case that lives up that ideal.. i don't care what he does if he just plays one good game in a GF and and we win a flag.
Yeah that's the other thing - Boyd was literally one year into his contract as the number 1 pick. Not to mention the Dogs looked like a potential basket case at the time (our 2015 form was considerably different to our 2014, which was shocking) so a big contract was basically a must. Unless someone like Gold Coast, Carlton or Saints (unless they improve) come after him, he's likely to not receive any huge offers. Roughly 500k-550k is surely his range

Remove this Banner Ad

Back