Preview Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood - Round 5 2019, April 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are all (rightly) focusing on the small forwards we should make sure to not let Cox get on top. Seeing him be the difference against Richmond a few times due to him get a clear straight lead into space at the ball. Andrews should be able to cover him easily but have to make sure not to leave the hole open for him to easily lead into

While we are all (rightly) focusing on the small forwards we should make sure to not let Cox get on top. Seeing him be the difference against Richmond a few times due to him get a clear straight lead into space at the ball. Andrews should be able to cover him easily but have to make sure not to leave the hole open for him to easily lead into

Cox was pretty quiet against us last year - 1 goal and 8 marks in total across two games. I'm pretty confident in Harris keeping him reasonably quiet as he is one of the few that can reliably spoil him with his height and reach. Always a chance he plays well of course though.

Ever since we were given this game our focus has been on ensuring we do not disappoint, because the benefits of putting on a good show during prime time television means significant scheduling and sponsorship benefits going forward. My fear is that we may get carried away and attempt to produce a Charlie "Hollywood Spectacular" Cameron type game and forget the fundamentals that may not be as pretty but has much more substance and actually wins games.

I'd rather us win a dour, low scoring, arm wrestle type of game that gets us the four points, than loose a gun and carry, pretty, with lots of frilly bits game and drop out of contention. Loosing a shoot out may get us lots of condescending pats on the back from Melbourne media types but ultimately means SFA because we are left with a bitter-sweet unsatisfying taste.

So, what I want is for the 22 selected players to bring their best attitude, play their designated role and follow the plan, play a team first selfless game and the score will take care of itself.

Ever since we were given this game our focus has been on ensuring we do not disappoint, because the benefits of putting on a good show during prime time television means significant scheduling and sponsorship benefits going forward. My fear is that we may get carried away and attempt to produce a Charlie "Hollywood Spectacular" Cameron type game and forget the fundamentals that may not be as pretty but has much more substance and actually wins games.

I'd rather us win a dour, low scoring, arm wrestle type of game that gets us the four points, than loose a gun and carry, pretty, with lots of frilly bits game and drop out of contention. Loosing a shoot out may get us lots of condescending pats on the back from Melbourne media types but ultimately means SFA because we are left with a bitter-sweet unsatisfying taste.

So, what I want is for the 22 selected players to bring their best attitude, play their designated role and follow the plan, play a team first selfless game and the score will take care of itself.

Obviously I'd prefer to win in any way possible rather than lose but our style isn't a dour, low-scoring arm wrestle type of game. Don't really think we have that weapon in our arsenal just yet and if we try close it down I think they beat us up around the ball.

I agree with the need to be team focused, selfless and focus on the fundamentals but I'm not sure Charlie failed to do that in the weekend either - he just had a bad day kicking in front of goal!

Two inside back pages in the Courier today,really, truly hope the boys can handle the hype.

To say we need a top performance is an understatement.

They will need to play out of their skins tomorrow night.

Will be won or lost at the selection table.

If we can't win with the team selected last week we're not going to win.

Bringing in someone from the reserves is not going to make a significant difference. The names thrown around as inclusions - Cutler, Keays, etc - aren't exactly going to shift the needle from L to W as they're not about to make a two or three goal difference.

I think we will be too slow/leak a > 100 point score. Non-negotiable, our midfield has to at least match Collingwood’s. A repeat of rounds 2-4 will result in a sizeable defeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cutler has decent pace. Taylor and McCluggage also get across the ground at decent rate. But we definitely need to add pace to the side and need to look at this department in the draft.
I think we did add pace in last year's draft though, we added multiple midfield types who are above average in that regard. We just didn't target many outside types (can't remember Answerth being that quick).

Bringing in someone from the reserves is not going to make a significant difference. The names thrown around as inclusions - Cutler, Keays, etc - aren't exactly going to shift the needle from L to W as they're not about to make a two or three goal difference.
Its Collingwood we're playing not Essendon.

Robertson use to win the 3 k time trial wondering if he would be more suited to an negating role in the midfield where he can use his endurance . Mitch Robbo probably has that role now though . Really think we could of used cutler at half back run and Carry and can kick it 60 odd metres. They have a bit to worry about in terms of match ups aswell tbh . Who do they have that has the pace to go with Charlie and prince aish is a massive liability .

I so want to be wrong but my gut is telling me we get beaten up pretty badly tomorrow night.
Same; over 39.5 point loss for mine.

Backline is too slow, too many under-performing players across the ground, Rayner undeserving of his spot...so yeah, will be lost at the selection table due to an unwillingness to bring in quicker players and players busting their arses in the NEAFL that aren't getting rewarded.

Backline is too slow, too many under-performing players across the ground, Rayner undeserving of his spot...so yeah, will be lost at the selection table due to an unwillingness to bring in quicker players and players busting their arses in the NEAFL that aren't getting rewarded.

Weird that this shocking team won the first 3 games, must have been pure luck.

There are risks going with the same lineup no doubt but I don’t think it is unreasonable to back in the players that got us to 3-1. Particularly when there are no proven Afl commodities in the ressies.

If we lose then we can make changes ahead of the suns when we will be in the disastrous position of being 3-2.

Should be a rule that if you invoke the “selection table” argument than you have to lay your cards on the table before 5pm with actual specifics!

Yeah, there is no team we can pick for tomorrow that will change my mind about who will win. The Pies are favourites as they should be.

Also dyl if you haven’t yet you should listen to the roar deal with Witho - while he can seem cocky he was very well spoken and said he felt that the boys let down the Melbourne fans last weekend.

You should post your team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back