Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyron Smallwood kicked three goals for claremont in the wafl seniors. (also grew 2cm to 179cm?) He was largely considered the most unlucky player to not be drafted in last years crop.

LESS than six weeks out from the return of the Mid-Season Rookie Draft, clubs are positioning themselves to find the next Tim Kelly, Kane Lambert or Luke Ryan.

The evening following round 10 - Monday, May 27 - marks the first Mid-Season Rookie Draft since 1993, with 12 positions currently available across the competition. Every season-ending injury or early retirement that comes before midday on that day will provide one more position to be filled.

Already, 15 players received lifelines in the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), with the Mid-Season Rookie Draft opening the door for more second chances.

Players eligible to be taken in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft must nominate by May 3 and include any individual who nominated for the 2018 draft or has previously been on an AFL club list:

Mid-season availabilities: One spot (Jake Patmore ACL)
What they need: Goalkicking options
Filled to March 15: Nil

With Jack Watts moving to defence before his injury and concerns around Charlie Dixon's return date, another goalkicking option would appeal for the Power. Connor Rozee has starred as a forward in his first four games, however the long-term approach has him slated as a half-back. While Scott Lycett arrived at Alberton to partner Paddy Ryder as a forward/ruck, the Power will be well aware Ryder, Justin Westhoff and Robbie Gray are all 31 or older.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...ho-will-be-the-next-tim-kelly-or-kane-lambert

LESS than six weeks out from the return of the Mid-Season Rookie Draft, clubs are positioning themselves to find the next Tim Kelly, Kane Lambert or Luke Ryan.

The evening following round 10 - Monday, May 27 - marks the first Mid-Season Rookie Draft since 1993, with 12 positions currently available across the competition. Every season-ending injury or early retirement that comes before midday on that day will provide one more position to be filled.

Already, 15 players received lifelines in the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), with the Mid-Season Rookie Draft opening the door for more second chances.

Players eligible to be taken in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft must nominate by May 3 and include any individual who nominated for the 2018 draft or has previously been on an AFL club list:

With Jack Watts moving to defence before his injury and concerns around Charlie Dixon's return date, another goalkicking option would appeal for the Power. Connor Rozee has starred as a forward in his first four games, however the long-term approach has him slated as a half-back. While Scott Lycett arrived at Alberton to partner Paddy Ryder as a forward/ruck, the Power will be well aware Ryder, Justin Westhoff and Robbie Gray are all 31 or older.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...ho-will-be-the-next-tim-kelly-or-kane-lambert
It will be interesting to see if the club decides whether or not to rule Watts out for the rest of the season before May 3rd. Could possibly have 2 spots.

Rozee as a half back. Sigh

Rozee would be an absolute stud playing off half back. His intercept marking is mint, and his kicking sublime

Having said that I don’t want a Rozee with 200+ afl games for port off a half back contributing to games

I want Rozee in the middle, dominating games. I’ve said it before but I see a more explosive Scott Pendlebury in the way he can size up options and distribute the ball.

He is exactly what we need in our future midfield next to a shovel the ball out player type in wines

Rozee would be an absolute stud playing off half back. His intercept marking is mint, and his kicking sublime

Having said that I don’t want a Rozee with 200+ afl games for port off a half back contributing to games

I want Rozee in the middle, dominating games. I’ve said it before but I see a more explosive Scott Pendlebury in the way he can size up options and distribute the ball.

He is exactly what we need in our future midfield next to a shovel the ball out player type in wines

Rozee could be great of half back as you said, but as a Midfeilder/forward (like Gray) he could potentially be an absolute superstar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cody Hirst sounds like the type of player to draft in the mid-season draft.

Missed most of his draft year through injury. Tick.
Grown / put on weight since his draft year. Tick.
In a strong system for development. Tac cup overage and vic metro overage. Tick.
Elite attribute point of difference. Broke the agility record at lat years combine. Tick.

Football ability? :)

Last edited:
Claiming that we are approaching Rozee as a half-back in the long term shows that the writers of that article know nothing about us. This happens so consistently it's ridiculous, although I do agree we need to look at either another tall forward or a winger in the mid-season draft.

Rozee has starred across half-forward, the most difficult position to play on the ground - especially in our dysfunctional system - and will play there for the majority of his career. He has stated that he wants to try himself in the middle, and I could definitely see him as a Josh Kelly type with his skills and speed as a hybrid inside/outside mid. I don't like making the comparisons but honestly Rozee is the perfect Wingard replacement in the long term as a forward/mid. If he stays with us for his entire career he could probably play across half-back in his twilight years with his great footy IQ, skills and intercept marking ability, but for now we have an abundance of players in that position even with injuries to Watts, Hartlett and Broadbent.

Munn as a KPF
Or
Dillon O’Reilly, 193 but only 79kgs according to the AFL article. Can Plat forward, back and have seen him attend a few centre square Bounces.

Would have though though you’d be looking for a more mature ready made type though. Someone who gives us an instant impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back