The Melbourne City Thread

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
A game of two halves.

Birighitti deserves a game next round. It's a narrow view but we hold on to the win if Eugene doesn't pull his hand away today. Shouldn't have been beaten at the near post last week as well. (Not to say he is to blame for all of this club's current mess)

It's a good article, if I wasn't so used to Heart/City putting in shocking efforts I'm not sure what would keep me interested, in fact over the last few months I've given up on the team after every insipid performance but return the next game full of hope, rinse and repeat.

I think about early days as Heart and when we were not very good at all but at least the team tried to win, they just weren't very good, Worm running down the wings, Terra dancing around defenders and giant Sibon slowly mobilising to kick a goal.

I ignored the fact Man City own the club, hard enough being a Manchester United supporter, never gave into it, but now, it really is soulless.

Western United could really kill of City. We've made no inroads into Victory's supporter base. We will likely be the third side in Melbourne.

It's a good article, if I wasn't so used to Heart/City putting in shocking efforts I'm not sure what would keep me interested, in fact over the last few months I've given up on the team after every insipid performance but return the next game full of hope, rinse and repeat.

I think about early days as Heart and when we were not very good at all but at least the team tried to win, they just weren't very good, Worm running down the wings, Terra dancing around defenders and giant Sibon slowly mobilising to kick a goal.

I ignored the fact Man City own the club, hard enough being a Manchester United supporter, never gave into it, but now, it really is soulless.

Western United could really kill of City. We've made no inroads into Victory's supporter base. We will likely be the third side in Melbourne.
Pretty much this. Plus Western United tugs my strings in terms of its name, and has its own identity, even if I don't live out that way.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Wouldn't put it beyond us to miss finals.
But why not prefer making finals and winning them instead of missing them and wasting another season
Joyce won't do anything

And I don't want to give CFG any reason to extend him if he happens to fluke a win or two

Our season has been dead since the Bruno benching started occurring

Wouldn't put it beyond us to miss finals.
That seems unlikely now given the run home. We play the bottom three sides plus Adelaide (at home) and Nix (away). Only the Nix looks like a loss.

But we will go nowhere in finals.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Joyce set to land surprise contract extension at Melbourne City | The World Game

Despite being forensically scrutinised by his bosses at the CIty Football Group - with Manchester City-based executive Brian Marwood having the final say on his future - indications are that Joyce will be given a reprieve and a third season to deliver results.
The Englishman has endured a turbulent reign marked by bust-ups with players, an often turgid playing style, a divisive disconnect with the club’s shrinking fan base and a perfunctory relationship with the media.
It has been widely speculated - even anticipated - the ex-Royal Antwerp, Manchester United Under-23s and Wigan man would be tapped on the shoulder at season’s end, unless sixth-placed City manages to accomplish something extraordinary during the finals series.
But with the club still in the hunt for a home final as they jet to New Zealand for the Easter Sunday duel with fifth-placed Wellington, a surprise survival act appears to be in the offing.
Specifically recruited to add steel and discipline to the squad after the perceived laidback era of predecessor John van’t Schip, Joyce, 54, has embraced the hard taskmaster role with relish, summarily discarding the likes of Tim Cahill, Neil Kilkenny, Dean Bouzanis and most controversially Uruguayan marquee Fornaroli.
Bruce Kamau was also frozen after his agreement to join Western Sydney Wanderers and off-contract Luke Brattan has had his turn in the eye of the storm.
After a debut season in which City finished third, only to be beaten in the semi-finals by Newcastle Jets, Joyce’s second year - thus far - has produced little to cheer about, other than securing a top-six finish.
City, under Joyce, have been largely joyless to watch but should they upset Wellington and then defeat Central Coast at home in their final game of the regular season next Friday, then a fairytale culmination to the campaign might yet be in their sights.
However, with just two wins in their last 10, City have shown few signs of a miraculous burst of form - limping rather than striding into the finals.
Melbourne City were contacted for comment.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/joy...Qdr0xN0CmXJ_jco8NQpUXa1KRqvK-HuM9h9gPdwon17CI

Whats the verdict City fans? Should Joyce get an extention or the ass?

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Joyce set to land surprise contract extension at Melbourne City | The World Game

Despite being forensically scrutinised by his bosses at the CIty Football Group - with Manchester City-based executive Brian Marwood having the final say on his future - indications are that Joyce will be given a reprieve and a third season to deliver results.
The Englishman has endured a turbulent reign marked by bust-ups with players, an often turgid playing style, a divisive disconnect with the club’s shrinking fan base and a perfunctory relationship with the media.
It has been widely speculated - even anticipated - the ex-Royal Antwerp, Manchester United Under-23s and Wigan man would be tapped on the shoulder at season’s end, unless sixth-placed City manages to accomplish something extraordinary during the finals series.
But with the club still in the hunt for a home final as they jet to New Zealand for the Easter Sunday duel with fifth-placed Wellington, a surprise survival act appears to be in the offing.
Specifically recruited to add steel and discipline to the squad after the perceived laidback era of predecessor John van’t Schip, Joyce, 54, has embraced the hard taskmaster role with relish, summarily discarding the likes of Tim Cahill, Neil Kilkenny, Dean Bouzanis and most controversially Uruguayan marquee Fornaroli.
Bruce Kamau was also frozen after his agreement to join Western Sydney Wanderers and off-contract Luke Brattan has had his turn in the eye of the storm.
After a debut season in which City finished third, only to be beaten in the semi-finals by Newcastle Jets, Joyce’s second year - thus far - has produced little to cheer about, other than securing a top-six finish.
City, under Joyce, have been largely joyless to watch but should they upset Wellington and then defeat Central Coast at home in their final game of the regular season next Friday, then a fairytale culmination to the campaign might yet be in their sights.
However, with just two wins in their last 10, City have shown few signs of a miraculous burst of form - limping rather than striding into the finals.
Melbourne City were contacted for comment.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/joy...Qdr0xN0CmXJ_jco8NQpUXa1KRqvK-HuM9h9gPdwon17CI

Whats the verdict City fans? Should Joyce get an extention or the ass?

Yuck. While I haven't been as critical of Joyce as some, he has done nothing to suggest he deserves a contract extension.

Not sure why CFG seem to be showing such an extraordinary lack of ambition with us. Basically nothing more than an afterthought.

He has done exactly as CFG wanted so why not extend him?

Meanwhile, it’s a toilet of a club to follow while we are on this path.

I'm not sure they wanted us to be boring, luckily sitting in 6th and losing fans by the game.

I'm not sure they wanted us to be boring, luckily sitting in 6th and losing fans by the game.
They don’t care about that. They want Joyce producing a certain type of footballer that can be on-sold or otherwise used by CFG.

They don’t care about that. They want Joyce producing a certain type of footballer that can be on-sold or otherwise used by CFG.

Then he is failing because he isn't doing that.

Back