Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree. I spoke to Drew about it yesterday and he said something to the effect of "teams are only as strong as their weakest link. When one person on the team doesn't man up properly, it leaves players open and attacking teams will have a constant overlap forcing the defense to constantly back pedal"

He praised your boys for their silky skills though as he thought we were competitive on the inside but when the ball got on the outside, you moved it fast and effectively.

It sounds like the academy system will help some players who may not be noticed if it wasn't established.

I would be interested in your opinion as to will the academy build genuine depth within our clubs?

Totally agree. I spoke to Drew about it yesterday and he said something to the effect of "teams are only as strong as their weakest link. When one person on the team doesn't man up properly, it leaves players open and attacking teams will have a constant overlap forcing the defense to constantly back pedal"

He praised your boys for their silky skills though as he thought we were competitive on the inside but when the ball got on the outside, you moved it fast and effectively.
That is true at all levels. One of the reasons younger, less experienced teams regularly get shown up (as it seems was the case in this game). One player doesn't pressure in the right spot and the opposition are down the other end. Something that often gets forgotten.

It sounds like the academy system will help some players who may not be noticed if it wasn't established.

I would be interested in your opinion as to will the academy build genuine depth within our clubs?

Initially when the academies were established, the programs basically plucked (top talent that met the eligibility criteria) from existing WAFL pathways. I am sure there were exceptions to this. As the programs grows it will no doubt identify more organic talent but most likely then guide them onto respective WAFL clubs.

If talent want to take AFL seriously, they need to be in a colts / futures programs where they will train up to 250 hours a year with their club. Through the academies, they might only get 20 - 40 hours worth of training / games.

The academies don't want to step on WAFL clubs because there is now limits to the volume of training top players can do. You'll find that the Senior academy members will never play for their respective NGA as their other commitments are usually big enough.

But in answer to your question, yes, there is real opportunity to build organic depth but it will take time. In most cases, it will simply nurture existing talent.

For those that cbf clicking... speed and x-factor for both the forward and back flanks...

Round 1

#15 Liam Henry (available to draft 2019)
The Derby product demonstrated why he is so highly touted in this year’s draft pool, especially by Fremantle who can select him under their Next-Generation Academy. Henry displayed his offensive flair and defensive soundness in a very well-rounded performance. He gathered 16 possessions, laid eight tackles, grabbed seven marks, recorded three inside 50s and kicked a magnificent goal in the second quarter, when he roved a pack inside 50 and snapped it through.

#12 Joel Western (available to draft 2020)
The Subiaco junior was electrifying on the half-forward flank for the Tigers, finishing the game with 19 possessions, four tackles, two inside 50s and a goal. Available to Fremantle as a Next Generation Academy (NGA) prospect in 2020, Western used his speed, evasiveness and skills to carve his way through East Fremantle’s defensive zones. He is already shaping up as a high draft prospect for next year.

#18 Chris Walker (available to draft 2020)
The Fremantle NGA prospect convincingly proved why he is one of the best half-back flankers in this year’s Simply Energy WAFL Colts Competition. Against the Tigers, Walker held his opponents to minimal impact, while he provided damage on the offence. His desire to take the game on with his skill and speed was fantastic to see.

#20 Brandon Walker (available to draft 2020)
The 2018 WA U16s All-Australian was excellent for the Sharks, showing why he is so highly rated for the 2020 AFL Draft. He used his crisp disposal and electrifying speed from the half-back line to torch the Tigers. He finished with 11 possessions, five marks and three tackles.

For those that cbf clicking... speed and x-factor for both the forward and back flanks...

Round 1

#15 Liam Henry (available to draft 2019)
The Derby product demonstrated why he is so highly touted in this year’s draft pool, especially by Fremantle who can select him under their Next-Generation Academy. Henry displayed his offensive flair and defensive soundness in a very well-rounded performance. He gathered 16 possessions, laid eight tackles, grabbed seven marks, recorded three inside 50s and kicked a magnificent goal in the second quarter, when he roved a pack inside 50 and snapped it through.

#12 Joel Western (available to draft 2020)
The Subiaco junior was electrifying on the half-forward flank for the Tigers, finishing the game with 19 possessions, four tackles, two inside 50s and a goal. Available to Fremantle as a Next Generation Academy (NGA) prospect in 2020, Western used his speed, evasiveness and skills to carve his way through East Fremantle’s defensive zones. He is already shaping up as a high draft prospect for next year.

#18 Chris Walker (available to draft 2020)
The Fremantle NGA prospect convincingly proved why he is one of the best half-back flankers in this year’s Simply Energy WAFL Colts Competition. Against the Tigers, Walker held his opponents to minimal impact, while he provided damage on the offence. His desire to take the game on with his skill and speed was fantastic to see.

#20 Brandon Walker (available to draft 2020)
The 2018 WA U16s All-Australian was excellent for the Sharks, showing why he is so highly rated for the 2020 AFL Draft. He used his crisp disposal and electrifying speed from the half-back line to torch the Tigers. He finished with 11 possessions, five marks and three tackles.
:p

I don't. So we hand over our 2020 first round pick so we can grab a few academy players?

These players may be good but Carter had big raps on him and fell through to our Cat B pick.

Why waist a first round future pick when you don't need to?
Long way out from the 2019 draft and 2020 draft.

If we trade our 2019 second round pick for two third round picks, that should be enough points for Henry.

In 2020, we can do the same thing depends on the players ranking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long way out from the 2019 draft and 2020 draft.

If we trade our 2019 second round pick for two third round picks, that should be enough points for Henry.

In 2020, we can do the same thing depends on the players ranking.

Yep for sure

I really don't like trading out first round picks in general. That 2020 1st could be pick 1 or pick 18. Either way that pick could be a much better player.

Most mock drafts devalue WA and SA talent.

Closer to the Draft we will get a better idea.
It is still hard. Unless he tears the champs apart, he won't be rated and with all the mature guys getting picked, anything past 40 is an absolute crap shoot. I read/watched heaps but had literally never heard of Bewley or Schulz.

Really needs to be in top 40 consideration with the pundits on here if we want a reasonable ranking for him.

Shame there are no WA based draft guys on BF as I'd like to know where they have Henry rated. He is not mentioned once by any of the Vic watchers but that is at least 90% because they have never seen him play I suspect.

I rate RoyalEagle's opinions and I would say he gets to see the WA guys a bit; haven't seen him say too that much yet about this draft but then I don't go looking around on the eagles board much, and he also saves a bit up for the mock drafts later in the year.

Yep for sure

I really don't like trading out first round picks in general. That 2020 1st could be pick 1 or pick 18. Either way that pick could be a much better player.
It needs to be carefully considered. As a general rule I think we will get our NGAs for a bit of a bargain, even more of a bargain than other clubs are getting theirs. They are predominantly indigenous boys and already have spent time with the club. They will also get a bit less scrutiny than more available players.

Trading your first round is justified if you think it will get eaten by a bid. But with the club beginning to emerge into a theoretical finals "window", getting players in early is a small advantage as well. If that Martin trade was a realistically achievable deal, I'd take the leap.

It needs to be carefully considered. As a general rule I think we will get our NGAs for a bit of a bargain, even more of a bargain than other clubs are getting theirs. They are predominantly indigenous boys and already have spent time with the club. They will also get a bit less scrutiny than more available players.

Trading your first round is justified if you think it will get eaten by a bid. But with the club beginning to emerge into a theoretical finals "window", getting players in early is a small advantage as well. If that Martin trade was a realistically achievable deal, I'd take the leap.

Yeah sure but that is a hypothetical trade and not a realistic trade.

Round 2 Scouting Notes

Only one entry so far on our NGA prospects from Rd2 (they only covered EF v S Colts) but a pretty good one for a bottom ager...

#20 Brandon Walker (2020 Draftable)
The Fremantle Next-Generation Academy prospect was sizzling off the half-back line for East Fremantle. He finished with 15 possessions and five marks, showcasing the traits that made him an All-Australian last year. He used his speed to burn off opponents, was smart with his decision-making and elite with his foot skills.

B.Walker, Henry, Thomas, Kelly were also all listed in the bests this week.

Not from our NGA but top WA draft prospects from this year seemed to have a good game for EF as well...

#10 Trent Rivers
The East Fremantle captain led from the front for the Sharks, with an equal game-high 29 possessions, six tackles, five inside 50s, and five marks. His leadership off the half-back is similar to the way Luke Hodge controls his team. Rivers is looming to be one of the key players in this year’s AFL Draft.

#23 Luke Jackson
The highly-touted Jackson put forward a display as to why AFL Draft experts believe he could potentially be a top-five pick. Against the Lions, he was arguably best afield with 17 possessions, 24 hit-outs, six marks, two tackles and two goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back