Analysis The Triple H Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Let me preface this thread by unqelivently noting - Yes, I am quite aware wrestling is scripted entertainment. Bare with me on this though.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate that; but to draw a slim correlation between the current Suns 4 week run and the Triple H "Reign of Terror" period from the early to mid 2000's.

You see: From September 2002 to April 2005, Triple H held the World Heavyweight Championship for a combined total of 616 days of that 944 period of time.

Why is this relevant I hear you ask? Because in typical wrestling fashion he did it by "any means necessary" - Illegal moves, outside interference, foreign objects, the whole shebang. Now of course i'm not in any way advocating the use of illegal tactics to win games, Our umpires are slightly more competent than sports entertainment referees but more to the point that at the end of the day, by hook or by crook he got the job done and that's exactly the kind of mentality that our teams have been lacking over the years, Countless times over the years we've held a late lead or been on the comeback trail only to choke away the win in the dying moments.

Now let's break down the past four weeks.

Round 1 - Peter Wright kicks a set shot from the boundary for us to shock St. Kilda Why do you have to kill my theory 2MP? Get it together son.
Round 2 - We misfire in front of goal all day, Only for Sam Collins (You Star!) to take a clutch mark in the final 10 seconds to complete the upset over Freo.
Round 3 - Almost gave away a 19 point lead at the final change but managed to just hold onto a 5 point margin with some scrappy contested work to beat the Dogs.
Round 4 - Kept reeling in a hungry Carlton side every time they managed to poke their noses in front. Despite being down a rotation on the bench, Completed with Jack Bowes' snap in the dying second again to snatch it.

This is only a small sample size but the apparent trend is that when the chips are down late, Our boys are starting to rise to the challenge and have the grit, drive and moxy to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Why is this important? Because all the great teams found a way to win when things weren't quite going their way.

We all remember Hawthorn's own Reign of Terror - I can recall numerous times them being down late and getting my hopes up to seeing them lose, Only for them to dash them by finding a way to comeback late and steal the win.

Same goes with the Tom Brady New England Patriot teams, Would be down late only for him to lead them on a death march down the field that always inevitably ended in them winning.

There are many more examples of this throughout history (and I do hope you all post about them below, I'd love to hear about them) but the circular point I wanted to make was that great teams and great champions always found a way to win when they needed to and I believe we have the makings of that.

Discuss.

Let me preface this thread by unqelivently noting - Yes, I am quite aware wrestling is scripted entertainment. Bare with me on this though.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate that; but to draw a slim correlation between the current Suns 4 week run and the Triple H "Reign of Terror" period from the early to mid 2000's.

You see: From September 2002 to April 2005, Triple H held the World Heavyweight Championship for a combined total of 616 days of that 944 period of time.

Why is this relevant I hear you ask? Because in typical wrestling fashion he did it by "any means necessary" - Illegal moves, outside interference, foreign objects, the whole shebang. Now of course i'm not in any way advocating the use of illegal tactics to win games, Our umpires are slightly more competent than sports entertainment referees but more to the point that at the end of the day, by hook or by crook he got the job done and that's exactly the kind of mentality that our teams have been lacking over the years, Countless times over the years we've held a late lead or been on the comeback trail only to choke away the win in the dying moments.

Now let's break down the past four weeks.

Round 1 - Peter Wright kicks a set shot from the boundary for us to shock St. Kilda Why do you have to kill my theory 2MP? Get it together son.
Round 2 - We misfire in front of goal all day, Only for Sam Collins (You Star!) to take a clutch mark in the final 10 seconds to complete the upset over Freo.
Round 3 - Almost gave away a 19 point lead at the final change but managed to just hold onto a 5 point margin with some scrappy contested work to beat the Dogs.
Round 4 - Kept reeling in a hungry Carlton side every time they managed to poke their noses in front. Despite being down a rotation on the bench, Completed with Jack Bowes' snap in the dying second again to snatch it.

This is only a small sample size but the apparent trend is that when the chips are down late, Our boys are starting to rise to the challenge and have the grit, drive and moxy to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Why is this important? Because all the great teams found a way to win when things weren't quite going their way.

We all remember Hawthorn's own Reign of Terror - I can recall numerous times them being down late and getting my hopes up to seeing them lose, Only for them to dash them by finding a way to comeback late and steal the win.

Same goes with the Tom Brady New England Patriot teams, Would be down late only for him to lead them on a death march down the field that always inevitably ended in them winning.

There are many more examples of this throughout history (and I do hope you all post about them below, I'd love to hear about them) but the circular point I wanted to make was that great teams and great champions always found a way to win when they needed to and I believe we have the makings of that.

Discuss.

I don't wanna become the team everyone hates!

I don't wanna become the team everyone hates!
I'm ok with that. We're currently the team everyone likes to dump on, hates would be an improvement.
Carlton are getting a soft touch up in the media at the moment, imagine the storylines if we were 0-4.

Americas cup - Oracle USA in 2013, behind the NZ team 8-1 only to win the last 8 straight and pull off one of the greatest sporting comebacks in history.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back