Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll defer to your recollection about the player Tiberius but I'm certain it was at the MCG. I was in Melbourne on a work trip and stayed over for the match. I was up in one of the stands and a lot further back than you were. I do recall it being a tight game and North had some legends on the field that day. The main reason I'm so clear about it being at the G was that I've never been to Waverley.
You may very well be right about that. I would have been about 7 years old. But it was definitely BT who picked up the loose boot and heaved it onto the crowd. I remember my 7 year old self thinking vividly at the time "what a dickhead!" My views haven't changed much in the intervening 40 years.

Being current service actually, it shits me to tears. People 'care' for a brief period every year, then don't think about it again for twelve months. Between public apathy and government inaction (Dept of Veteran Affairs), I find hard to believe that the majority actually care.

If the public cared things would be different. I've got (or had) mates who were vets from most conflicts back to Vietnam. Its ****ed up the way the get so little support.

I go to the dawn service somewhere most years. When i don't I sit in the paddock and watch the sun rise and be thankful to see it.

My Nan's older brother was at Gallipoli and died in France. I still know the date and the place. When I was growing up in the 70s his photo was on her mantle piece above the fire all the time, with a couple of medals - basically all that was left of him after a shell hit. Over 50 years later and she was still grieving for him. Like I said I go to the dawn service most years but i try to remember him at every opportunity.

This article profiles a guy i went to school with, was in cadets with and nearly followed into the army (and some other guy) there's a few inaccurate personal details but its reasonably good otherwise. He's fairly articulate about how difficult it is to deal with some stuff, especially once you come back out into civilian life.

You may very well be right about that. I would have been about 7 years old. But it was definitely BT who picked up the loose boot and heaved it onto the crowd. I remember my 7 year old self thinking vividly at the time "what a dickhead!" My views haven't changed much in the intervening 40 years.
You are not alone about the character assessment Tiberius. And if my memory serves me well, the umpire was Bill Deller.

If the public cared things would be different. I've got (or had) mates who were vets from most conflicts back to Vietnam. Its ****** up the way the get so little support.

I go to the dawn service somewhere most years. When i don't I sit in the paddock and watch the sun rise and be thankful to see it.

My Nan's older brother was at Gallipoli and died in France. I still know the date and the place. When I was growing up in the 70s his photo was on her mantle piece above the fire all the time, with a couple of medals - basically all that was left of him after a shell hit. Over 50 years later and she was still grieving for him. Like I said I go to the dawn service most years but i try to remember him at every opportunity.

This article profiles a guy i went to school with, was in cadets with and nearly followed into the army (and some other guy) there's a few inaccurate personal details but its reasonably good otherwise. He's fairly articulate about how difficult it is to deal with some stuff, especially once you come back out into civilian life.
The other thing that gets on my goat is the hyper-nationalism that this day morphs into each year. That people wrap themselves in the flag and declare that anything outside of their belief system is an attack on the people that never came home. It is used to accentuate differences to score a political point.

The other thing that gets on my goat is the hyper-nationalism that this day morphs into each year. That people wrap themselves in the flag and declare that anything outside of their belief system is an attack on the people that never came home. It is used to accentuate differences to score a political point.

Yeah i agree that's disgusting. Those people died so everyone could express their opinions (and live) without fear. Even those opinions that s**t me to tears.

Footy ratings nose diving ever week. By the end of the year it will be close to zero.
Show should cut it’s losses and except it’s finished

So I heard someone on 3AW talking to Chompers today

Suggestions-

- Axe
- Move it to 9GO
- Bring Sunday Footy Show Panel to take over
- Put Footy Classified in there instead

Can anyone tell me when the term "blockbuster" became part of footy vernacular?

Apparently the game tonight is a blockbuster. Our game tomorrow is a blockbuster despite the teams being on 1 and 2 wins respectively.

I remember growing up there was usually a "match of the round", but usually that was determined in the week leading up to the game and on ladder position.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me when the term "blockbuster" became part of footy vernacular?

Apparently the game tonight is a blockbuster. Our game tomorrow is a blockbuster despite the teams being on 1 and 2 wins respectively.

I remember growing up there was usually a "match of the round", but usually that was determined in the week leading up to the game and on ladder position.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

BLOCKBUSTER; involves Coll, *, or Rich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HTF did we lose to Brisbane at home? Geezus what are the pies gunna do do us.
Lions beat west Coast who had no trouble beating Collingwood. Not the year for “suddenly”.

Lions beat west Coast who had no trouble beating Collingwood. Not the year for “suddenly”.

The ongoing Freo, Brisbane and Hawthorn form only highlights how putridly our side was prepared.

HTF did we lose to Brisbane at home? Geezus what are the pies gunna do do us.

Collingwood barely got over Footscray who lost to the Suns at Docklands the week before.

We copped Brisbane at the worst possible time. Our prep was shambolic, theirs was clearly aimed to be red hot early. They’ll probably be lucky to double their win tally from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back