Women's Footy Trade and Poach period

Remove this Banner Ad

so do we have any ins (not counting those we've re-signed), or have our efforts been spent with our shoulders against the barricades fighting off the Mongols?

I think we should have been provided with fair compo. There’s not a lot that we could have got given we draft between us and they have (had) no players to trade, but I think an idea should have been for every player, we swap a draft pick from 1-16.

So instead of them having 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15

and us having

We swap them. They still get 8 of the first 16, but we get to pick first, and then ahead of them through till 16. Then go back to the original draft order - they can have 17 and all the odd numbers, and we get 18, and all the evens.

(I know it’s not specifically those numbers because we slot in with all the other clubs, but effectively that’s what it is for our two clubs).

They really needed to find some way of compensating us for the thievery (same for Brisbane - I still maintain that 8 players from each club is blatantly unfair in the manner it’s decimated these two teams).

I think we should have been provided with fair compo. There’s not a lot that we could have got given we draft between us and they have (had) no players to trade, but I think an idea should have been for every player, we swap a draft pick from 1-16.

So instead of them having 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15

and us having

We swap them. They still get 8 of the first 16, but we get to pick first, and then ahead of them through till 16. Then go back to the original draft order - they can have 17 and all the odd numbers, and we get 18, and all the evens.

(I know it’s not specifically those numbers because we slot in with all the other clubs, but effectively that’s what it is for our two clubs).

They really needed to find some way of compensating us for the thievery (same for Brisbane - I still maintain that 8 players from each club is blatantly unfair in the manner it’s decimated these two teams).
The AfL knew that the vast majority of WC players were going to come from us.

I missed the reference to him in the OP and only just picked it up from reading the West. I can't believe that misogynist ********** Adam Selwood is head of women's football at the eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's fine ppl. All we are down is 1 good mid, 1 good fwd and both our rucks who were far from the best in the comp anyway. We still have a very good best 20 out of 21 (just no ruck yet - I'm assuming we aren't looking at moving Houghton even though she was good when she was there). We can cover for both Hooker and Gibson imo. Duffy and Sargeant looked very good and will take another step next season. If Donnellan and Miller can be injury free (unlike this season) then our midfield Rd 1 could actually be better than it was this season. More important is we held on to our KPPs - Houghton, Antonio, Bresland and Williams. I think we showed in 2017 and 2018 you can have a great midfield but without a dominant marking target in your forward line you are going to struggle - and likewise not having players to combat tall targets you'll get smashed.

Adelaide will still be very strong but losing Phillips is like us losing Fyfe for a season - possibly even worse. All the other teams will be similarly or even more weaker with the poaching that has gone on.

Given we lost 8 players we have done extremely well imo. Just need to nail finding a new ruck and go to the draft and find another Duffy or two.

Yep, it was never going to be any other way considering that for most players AFLW is semi-pro and they stay within their home state. Most GC players come from Brisbane. Most of the players for the new Melbourne expansion clubs come from other Vic clubs.
We were hardly touched (if at all?) by the previous expansion because it wasn't it in our state. Now we are. But come the next expansion we won't be. Its swings and roundabouts.

As soon as WCE didn't get any of the WA expats for their 2 marquees (like Randall or Sabrina Fredrick), they were odds on to get two really good players from us. That's because our #3 and #4 players could get an immediate improvement in compensation by becoming a marquee at WCE. An improvement that we could never match because of the way payments are tiered.

Apart from the marquees, we lost 2 WCE academy players back to them and a bunch of either solid or depth players. I reckon we have done pretty well.

they knew because they let it happen. imagine if the same concession was applied in 1994?

Fremantle FC was created for the purpose of diluting the talent of West Coast. Fremantle FC wouldn't exist without that.
as much as I agree with this, it wasn't done to benefit Fremantle FC either. the AFL have allowed West Coast to poach 8 of our players to make them competitive, I'd argue that this wasn't considered when our men's team came into being.

let me be more specific - imagine if we were able to poach 8 of West Coast's 1994 premiership team, maybe those that came from South & East Freo originally?

WTF if this? Didn’t Grieve re-sign with us! FB9418BC-6BF9-4291-93E2-9CF898B4FE63.png

At least if she wants to go across town next year they’ll have to trade for her, but this is very effin confusing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back