Oppo Camp The Non-North Football Discussion & AFL Matchday Chat Thread: Edition IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I agree with you. The only thing about making a GF is that you get an extra week of excitement and hope and dreams of glory.
After that it's all gone. As a supporter losing a GF feels 1000 times worse than losing a PF.
My previous post was just an ironic joke

I agree, the week leading up to the GF is magical. If you lose, not so much, but at least you had that.

In the scheme of things though, if you make a GF, get done, then disappear, it doesn’t make the last 20 years any less futile. Freo, Melbourne or Adelaide supporters aren’t looking back any more fondly than we are. You could probably add a Port to that. 2004 is nearly as distant a memory as 1999. So is the hat trick for Brisbane supporters. Essendon are in the same boat.

You’ve also got to take into account what the club went through from 2002. We were in survival mode for a decade.

I guess my point is that whilst we’ve been starved of the ultimate success, we’re not on our Pat Malone there. Hopefully in the next 20 years we can get it right.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Westerns had a 20 year, Prelim reunion last year or the year before.

Probably had it planned before they won in 2016. Otherwise they would have been consigned to history.

To be fair to them, I’d nearly pay it. Every club needs something to celebrate and the spirt of ‘54 were all probably exactly that.

What was the intent of the 666 rule change?

To ease congestion and, I believe, lead to higher scoring.

It's marginal in the first and an abysmal failure in the second.

10 years ago the first 4 rounds saw 100 points kicked by a side 29 times.

The first 4 rounds of this year and that has happened 13 times. This is with an additional game a round.

The persistent f***ing around with the rules of the game and the way in which coaches coach the game is irrevocably changing the game.

Scores are trending downwards. Umpire involvement seems move prevalent than ever before. Players get no where near 100 goals a year anymore.

We don't have state of origin under some premise of player safety. Yet we have whatever the f*** AFLX is.

Fantasy football impacts the way that people who are actually invested in the game view it. The purpose of fantasy football broadly is to get people to watch more games as it ups the investment factor in the games being played.

The football media is full of ill informed leeches, that chase ambulances and impact footballers lives looking for a story.

Football was a sport.

Football is consistently becoming less sport and more sports entertainment. With the ideal behind it shifting to simply be, separate fans from their money, everything else is secondary.

The state of the game is shocking.

Maybe I'm just old, but I mean I'm only 38.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The persistent f***ing around with the rules of the game and the way in which coaches coach the game is irrevocably changing the game.

No mate.

No, no, no, no, no.

It's the other way around.

The coaches ****ed up the game resulting in a majority of the rule changes.

The AFL are responsible for the OH&S, and heightened penalising that comes with the disneyfication of the product.

I have put some thought in to the way the 6-6-6 rule has failed it's intended purpose, and I have concluded that due to the superior fitness and regimented tactical approaches to the modern game, nothing short of radical change can fix it.

Do you want to see something approaching football in it's purest form? Then you're going to have to do something along the lines of removing the half forward and half back flanks from the field altogether, and having 14 men on the field (4-6-4).

Scores are trending downwards. Umpire involvement seems move prevalent than ever before. Players get no where near 100 goals a year anymore.
What's happened is coaches have realised that the most effective structure is to defend an 80m box around the ball. And as Rick said in his latest piece, that the best source of scores is turnovers, the closer to your goal the better. The counter to all that is a low risk possession game in the dangerous areas of the ground. Which gives the team without the ball even more time to zone up. And the cycle continues. 6-6-6 is just like any other rule change - a few weeks of chaos before it gets worked out.

No mate.

No, no, no, no, no.

It's the other way around.

The coaches ****ed up the game resulting in a majority of the rule changes.

The AFL are responsible for the OH&S, and heightened penalising that comes with the disneyfication of the product.

I have put some thought in to the way the 6-6-6 rule has failed it's intended purpose, and I have concluded that due to the superior fitness and regimented tactical approaches to the modern game, nothing short of radical change can fix it.

Do you want to see something approaching football in it's purest form? Then you're going to have to do something along the lines of removing the half forward and half back flanks from the field altogether, and having 14 men on the field (4-6-4).

I was thinking about this last night but only went as far as removing one back/forward flank combo at first (or one player out of the middle, perhaps the centreman) then another after a decade if things went the way they were.

So down to 17 on the field then eventually down to 16.

Or else remove the interchange and go back to the reserve system we used to play with as kids/in the 70s. Or at least cut the number of interchanges back to under 50.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
What was the intent of the 666 rule change?

To ease congestion and, I believe, lead to higher scoring.

It's marginal in the first and an abysmal failure in the second.

10 years ago the first 4 rounds saw 100 points kicked by a side 29 times.

The first 4 rounds of this year and that has happened 13 times. This is with an additional game a round.

We don't have state of origin under some premise of player safety. Yet we have whatever the f*** AFLX is.

Fantasy football impacts the way that people who are actually invested in the game view it. The purpose of fantasy football broadly is to get people to watch more games as it ups the investment factor in the games being played.

The football media is full of ill informed leeches, that chase ambulances and impact footballers lives looking for a story.

Football was a sport.

Football is consistently becoming less sport and more sports entertainment. With the ideal behind it shifting to simply be, separate fans from their money, everything else is secondary.

The state of the game is shocking.

Maybe I'm just old, but I mean I'm only 38.

Here's the trick....for non North games I watch the last 10 minutes this season

Everything else is irrelevant

Play 10 minute matches I say

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Growing into the job, one greasy cheeseburger at a time.

View attachment 654534
I hear the Suns warm up by running laps around Stewie
I don't get Stewy Dew. If zombies were around he wouldn't get eaten because evolution avoids the sick and dying. Make no mistake about it - Dew is obese at needs to lose weight or risk a premature death.

Now what I don't get is his dating history.
1. Teresa Palmer
1555287257641.png

2. Sarah Cumming (wife)
1555287331943.png

So not only was he blessed with a cannon for a leg, I can only assume he has a cannon for a groin. That's 2 women well out of his league. I tip my hat to him. Well played. Now lose some weight fat boy.

Yep, it's going to happen one day. Until it does though, I'm happy to dig in the boots.
Agreed. You should always dig your boots in when it comes to the opposing 17 clubs.
What's happened is coaches have realised that the most effective structure is to defend an 80m box around the ball. And as Rick said in his latest piece, that the best source of scores is turnovers, the closer to your goal the better. The counter to all that is a low risk possession game in the dangerous areas of the ground. Which gives the team without the ball even more time to zone up. And the cycle continues. 6-6-6 is just like any other rule change - a few weeks of chaos before it gets worked out.
Yep 100%. It's made the game worse. Soft, over officiated, and now teams play keepy-off to avoid turn overs. It looks horrible. Worse than Malthouse's 2010's style of sticking to the boundaries.

The other counter is high risk offensive handball to break lines.

(So if you handball under pressure without thought to opening up space or putting teammates to advantage that's defensive handball, for the purposes of this discussion anyway, anything else is offensive handball.)

Key words - high risk. It looks great when it comes off tho. There are times we do it and its bloody good footy to watch. But you need good players who can win contests and deliver the ball accurately to advantage. And they need to be able to do it all the time. Having someone like Jed in the side kind of makes this easier cos you can rely on his (and subsequent inferred) pressure when it breaks down, to an extent, and force contests. Jacobs running with the best attacking opposition mid then magnifies that advantage.

With the low risk, high possession game there are times when a quick change to some effective risky kicks thru the corridor can rip the game open as well. And both attacks advantage players like Ben Brown. We've never really tried that high possession, low risk uncontested game under Brad (or ever really) until this year, except maybe a bit with Dal Santo. Probably cos we haven't had the personnel to trust with it but probably also cos Scotts doesn't like that style of game. Even tho not being able to resort to it when you need to is a recipe for disaster (and probably the one thing beside kicking straight at goal thats cost us finals series' and high ladder positions.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I was thinking about this last night but only went as far as removing one back/forward flank combo at first (or one player out of the middle, perhaps the centreman) then another after a decade if things went the way they were.

Or else remove the interchange and go back to the reserve system we used to play with as kids/in the 70s. Or at least cut the number of interchanges back to under 50.

Just take 4 off the ground and put them on the bench.

Cap rotations at 10 a quarter.

The VFA did 16 on the field in the 80s and the AFLW does it. It didn't lead to higher scoring/less congestion in the long term in the VFA, and the women's game is different enough that it's hard to use as a comparison.

BUT ...

If I'm coaching 16-a-side I'm sacrificing structure away from the ball long before numbers at the contest. Less outlets = potentially even more congestion especially with the fitness of modern midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The point is, you funny peeps are currently poking s**t at the bums across the road from your very own cardboard box FFS and it's a really piss poor look. You seem to have been Brad-washed into think we've done something of note the last ten odd ******* years.

We've been stuck in a cycle of mediocrity with occasional spikes in one direction or the other.
They've been consistent gutter trash despite all the picks they have '''earned'''.

There is a difference.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
The VFA did 16 on the field in the 80s and the AFLW does it. It didn't lead to higher scoring/less congestion in the long term in the VFA, and the women's game is different enough that it's hard to use as a comparison.

BUT ...

If I'm coaching 16-a-side I'm sacrificing structure away from the ball long before numbers at the contest. Less outlets = potentially even more congestion especially with the fitness of modern midfielders.
Coaches are so fixated on being low risk that whatever the rule change, they will find a way to ne even more low risk.

Only thing I can think of is to add a bonus point for scoring more than 100 points in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back