Game Day Brisbane Lions v Collingwood, Round 5 2019, April 18, 7.35pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This whole.. 'I would have been wrapped with 3-2 at the start of the season' thing doesen't really work for me. We arn't a finals team so where we sit right now doesen't matter. id rather be 1 and 4 and to have played a dogged, passionate, proud.. style of footy. We came out brimmimg with energy (whilst largely ignoring defense) and we won some games. Since then, we have regressed to 'Leppa era' level of football. We are at code red levels of concern right now. Theres nothing good here right now.
The worry for me is how easy it is to go from defense to inside 50 against us. As soon as a team gets outside of their defensive 50 we are wide open. Not sure if it is a tactical issue or a system breakdown

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Am I the only one who thinks Pies played well rather than us being poor?

no ...but the issue is the back half play far too loose and don't have electric speed to attack when the ball comes in ...we are right out of whack

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
The midfield lost it for us, not the defenders.
They had 25 marks inside 50. We didn’t have the matchups for them. I’m not saying they lost us the game (and said players, meaning all) will cop their whack.
I’m saying it was a glaringly obvious flaw, had been for the past 2 weeks and wasn’t addressed. Wasn’t a great week at the selection table.

Frustrating. Sorry for the intrusion, Brisbane have been my second team that I've followed very closely for years (only other team I watch every weekend), and living in Brisbane, I'm desperate to see you guys come good.

If it's any consolation, I truly believe you are on the right path. I think you just matched up awfully against both the Pies and the Dons (and I think you could have given the Dons a real scare if it weren't for the BS free against McCarthy when he should have been having a shot to bring you within 4 goals). I feel like Cox, Taylor and Cutler would have been handy tonight, although I have read there are reasons that the latter isn't in the side despite his clear talent. Seems to me like Stef Martin's age is catching up with him, but he was up against a very good ruckman.

Either way, I think this Lions team is clearly much stronger than the Lions of 2016-2017, regardless of the result. I think it's only a matter of time before you come good with players like McLugagge, Berry and Andrews coming through. I think you'll win at least two of the next five, if not 1-2 more.

I'm a bit relieved tonight sold out, as I'd planned to go along. Will still be going along to a few Brisbane matches this year with the way you play. The lapses now seem like lapses you expect from a young side rather than one simply bereft of talent.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Agree.

Every time I put up an option the same people keep saying you can't play them for this or that reason.

Football teams have always operated on the competitive tension between players on the fringe of going out or coming in.

Three or four of our players have been pitiful the last couple of weeks and those on the fringe who are fit and in form need to be given a chance

Yeah, fair enough.

We can play better than what we've shown the last 2 weeks, that's for sure.

Jesus. Straight to thoughts of incest when you’re angry? I’d get that checked out if I was you buddy.
Your team just won by 10 goals and your spending the evening on the opposition's board. 2002 and 2003 still hurting that much?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For all the talk about defensive pressure whatever the fact still remains that we're a bit slow all over the ground to be competitive against the better teams.

That's something we need to recognise and work on ,recruit, improve in that area.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Definitely, but the game was lost in the midfield. The lack of pressure was astounding.

I agree ....getting back to help the defenders is far too slow but we also play too loose in the back half and it's getting the right mix back there... we are all at sea there.

I'd say we lost it in the ruck. Absoulte dominance from Grundy

Martin got totally smashed but it didn't feel like a lot of Grundy's hits were straight to advantage. Midfield s**t the bed. I don't think there were many heroes on our team tonight. Just a lot of guys lamenting how s**t they were.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oncer again we displayed a severe lack of ability and want to tackle.. Too many downhill skiers. Too many smartarse kicks from the likes of Witherden. Cameron three poor games in a row. McStay hopeless as usual. Zorko having a stinker of a season. Andrews injured !!

Berry and McCluggage were excellent again. Rich tried hard but a back line that has him Hodge and Witherden is going to be beaten for pace every time and very loose checking.

I mean we got destroyed at clearances by Port and still won. Defence was much better that day.

Our pressure was there that game. None tonight.

Zorko defended well but was such a liability with the ball. Neale had little support. Berry and McCluggage never stopped working hard.

No need to worry about our future, but would not be surprised if that is the last game as Lions for guys like Bundy and Nick Robbo. They're just not up to the standard required. Robbo has some hope, but Christensen is at his peak and his peak is so far off what's needed from a guy like him it's not funny.

We are 3-2 and have a genuine chance to bounce back in the next fortnight.

Time for some soul searching and a mental reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back