toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Don't forget pie guts Dew, who looked like he'd wiped the tomato sauce off his face, before pulling on a jumper and jumping the fence at the start of the 2008 Grand Final.

Is that 'Fat' youtube video still up?

That's probably the best piece of video ever in terms of it ruining Cats supporters.

Agree on McGovern too, have really enjoyed watching a guy who looks like he punches on after the pub closes every Friday night, running around and dominating an AFL game.

Back on topic, I hope this kid isn't the Red Pretzel 2.0

By the looks of these reports, he's a player, hopefully the conditioning guys have a plan that doesn't involve just waiting for him to fill out.

There are some genuinely good AFL players with weird rigs.
Jeremy McGovern looks like a bloke dragged off the street and put in a footy jumper. Jarrad Waite had love handles bigger than me. Lindsay Thomas' head was roughly 50% of his total mass.

Don't forget pie guts Dew, who looked like he'd wiped the tomato sauce off his face, before pulling on a jumper and jumping the fence at the start of the 2008 Grand Final.

Is that 'Fat' youtube video still up?

That's probably the best piece of video ever in terms of it ruining Cats supporters.

Agree on McGovern too, have really enjoyed watching a guy who looks like he punches on after the pub closes every Friday night, running around and dominating an AFL game.

Back on topic, I hope this kid isn't the Red Pretzel 2.0

By the looks of these reports, he's a player, hopefully the conditioning guys have a plan that doesn't involve just waiting for him to fill out.

I don't think he's the type of player that needs to fill out a huge amount, because he succeeds with craftiness.

Kade Simpson has made a career despite never creeping above the weight of an average 13 year old.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
On his current trajectory, a debut will happen this year. He's really lifted his work rate so you get to see his speed. Great skills on both sides. His lack of a body is going to make it hard to win a contest but everything else is tracking well.

He's a mile off contention, I reckon.

His body simply wouldn't let him get close to it in any contested situation. He's mobile enough, which will make him a versatile option when he gets more core strength, but he's ages away.

Let him develop at Box Hill.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's a mile off contention, I reckon.

His body simply wouldn't let him get close to it in any contested situation. He's mobile enough, which will make him a versatile option when he gets more core strength, but he's ages away.

Let him develop at Box Hill.
Spot on. I think he needs another preseason in the gym. Just looks so underdeveloped physically.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Seems to be a very opportunistic forward who reads the play really well at vfl level. Think that he need to develop other aspects of his game and string together at least 5-6 really good consistent efforts at box hill before he gets considered for an afl debut.

Like what I see though, very athletic but a really good footy brain for a tennis player

Amazingly I actually considered this, but thought of the can of worms. I always hear Laurel when Hardy says "This is another fine mess you've gotten us into Stanley."

I think he is ready for a debut.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s not yet ready. Ross has played well but he’s still a fair way off senior footy. He is showing some good signs and is winning the footy almost double the amount of times compared to last year.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It has been a good couple of weeks from Jackson. I am loving his speedy improvement.

My question is whether he applies pressure in the forward line. I cannot remember a tackle from him in either of the Box Hill wins: I’ll go back and watch to find one. If you saw one please tell me.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It has been a good couple of weeks from Jackson. I am loving his speedy improvement.

My question is whether he applies pressure in the forward line. I cannot remember a tackle from him in either of the Box Hill wins: I’ll go back and watch to find one. If you saw one please tell me.
Poppy and Nash are solely in the team to tackle and are registering 1 a week. I think I’ll take ross’ 2 goals instead haha

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have you watched the Box Hill games? They scrap for the ball, and may loose it to half back and then once they have it move the ball will speed and skill to an open forward-line where there is little pressure and kick a goal. It is great football. But currently AFL football is much more defensive. Ross would not get the space he is getting in the VFL.
Ross would not get the easy goals he is getting if he was playing in the AFL.
Don’t get me wrong, Jackson is doing great by getting in the right attacking positions to get the goals. My question is whether he is also good defensively. I am unsure and want to find out or be told.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Poppy and Nash are solely in the team to tackle and are registering 1 a week. I think I’ll take ross’ 2 goals instead haha
Have you watched the Box Hill games? They scrap for the ball, and may loose it to half back but once they have it move the ball with speed and skill to an open forward-line where there is little pressure and generally, kick the goal. It is great football. But currently AFL football is much more defensive. Ross would not get the space he is getting in the VFL.
Don’t get me wrong, Jackson is doing great by getting in the right attacking positions to get the goals. My question is whether he is also good defensively. I am unsure and want to find out more or be told other people’s opinions on his defensive skills.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have you watched the Box Hill games? They scrap for the ball, and may loose it to half back and then once they have it move the ball will speed and skill to an open forward-line where there is little pressure and kick a goal. It is great football. But currently AFL football is much more defensive. Ross would not get the space he is getting in the VFL.
Don’t get me wrong, Jackson is doing great by getting in the right attacking positions to get the goals. My question is whether he is also good defensively. I am unsure and want to find out or be told.
Poppy and Nash do multiple pressure acts throughout the game. They are not registered as tackles but they make the defender rush their kicks: which is good for Hawthorn. Cyril was the best at pressure. I’ll find you his tackle numbers. Ave: 4.6 per game. Wow. Geeze I miss Rioli...but Agreed Nash has to do better. Not sure yet but maybe Ross also has to do better as well.

Last edited:

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Poppy and Nash do multiple pressure acts throughout the game. They are not registered as tackles but they make the defender rush their kicks: which is good for Hawthorn. Cyril was the best at pressure. I’ll find you his tackle numbers. Ave: 4.6 per game. Wow. Geeze I miss Rioli...but Agreed Nash has to do better. Not sure yet but maybe Ross also has to do better as well.
Yeah I was joking around, I don’t think he’s ready for senior footy yet, but the kid looks like he’s got some talent. Hoping he can build on a great start to the year

Back