Unofficial Preview round 5 we have to play again sorry this time against richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoked Rowbottom plays this week, if his body holds up, he should play midfield for the rest of the year. I will lose my mind if Longmre tries something stupid like playing him out of position as a high half forward or a lock down defender. Id like to laugh at such insanity but you never know when Longmire will next go full retar*.

Both Rowbottom and especially Clarke need to be played as genuine inside midfielders on Saturday. It is time Longmire play his players in their strongest positions.

ALso just realised we have the Saturday night game, which probably means Brian Taylor will be commentating his nephews game. I also hope Jake Lloyd doesn't touch the ball all game because the way BT says "Lllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooyd" every single time Llyod touches the ball makes me want to punch something.
Err umm Clarke is not an inside mid.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s only R5 for these new players, surely we can at least give them a season before tearing them to shreds? s**t, we even gave Paul Chambers a dozen games!

I agree Mick. I think both have the potential to be good players for us, they just haven’t shown those signs yet. Understandable, but they should still have to earn their places in the team. I wasn’t convinced by Clarke’s NEAFL attempts at doing so, but then again it’s not my approval he needs to earn.

I’m more bothered by the fact we seemed to have conceded that since McInerney, an 18 year old in his first game, failed to provide any run out of defence/on the wing, that we just can’t have any pace. Both Stoddart and COR could do anything McInerney could do, and more consistency given their experience and reserves form. Horse was willing to inject some pace last week, why not now ?

Rose is being challenged to produce week in and week out. Fair enough I reckon.

Great to see RB get a go. He looks like the real deal going by his NEAFL work.

I don’t know why Thurlow is persisted with when COR gets dropped. Seems unfair.

To be honest, and I don’t think I can be classed as a basher, but I don’t think our list management was great this year. Maybe we missed our targets but I’m not seeing anything in our “recruits” that improves us over our delistings. Especially Towers. But even Robbo was better than Clarke.

Can’t wait to see more of Ling.

Dawson looks to be getting acclimatised.

Florent is finding form.

I think we’ll smash Richmond.

I've seen very little of Ling but I did like what I saw.

Stoked Rowbottom plays this week, if his body holds up, he should play midfield for the rest of the year. I will lose my mind if Longmre tries something stupid like playing him out of position as a high half forward or a lock down defender. Id like to laugh at such insanity but you never know when Longmire will next go full retar*.

I agree that I’d like to see Rowbottom thrown in the guts this year, because it’s clearly where he belongs. But have you seen his NEAFL form playing half forward? Won so much footy in the attacking half and was involved in a lot of scoring opportunities. We could really do with someone who can just find the footy and pressure well inside 50.

A 50/50 split in his early games wouldn’t bother me, but let’s just see how he goes first. He technically hasn’t played a full game at any level under Horse yet in his career.

Was at this game last year at same venue and lance got several very soft frees that resulted in goals that looked awful on the bigscreen replay.

If I were a Geelong supporter, I wouldn’t be talking about soft frees. At all.

I agree Mick. I think both have the potential to be good players for us, they just haven’t shown those signs yet. Understandable, but they should still have to earn their places in the team. I wasn’t convinced by Clarke’s NEAFL attempts at doing so, but then again it’s not my approval he needs to earn.

I’m more bothered by the fact we seemed to have conceded that since McInerney, an 18 year old in his first game, failed to provide any run out of defence/on the wing, that we just can’t have any pace. Both Stoddart and COR could do anything McInerney could do, and more consistency given their experience and reserves form. Horse was willing to inject some pace last week, why not now ?
I certainly can’t answer that one Julius. Threw McInerney under the bus last week but wouldn’t back the kid this week, when from recollection (and I may well be wrong here), others have had consecutive opportunities.

I think we can snatch this game (the talent is there) and if we do, let’s stick with ‘em!

Was at this game last year at same venue and lance got several very soft frees that resulted in goals that looked awful on the bigscreen replay.
If I were a Geelong supporter, I wouldn’t be talking about soft frees. At all.

Ha, let’s talk about Dangerfield and the frees he got in the final at the SCG in front of goals...didn’t even need a big screen for that!

I sort of wonder whether we give players like McInerney, Stoddart an early taste of AFL so they understand the speed and intensity of the game rather than trying to match intensity of the NEAFL competition which is not close to the same standard as even VFL let alone AFL.

Stoddart was good in the NEAFL, probably best I have seen him. I would like to see that repeated.

I like COR, reckon he needs to work on his general decision making as much as anything else.

I agree that I’d like to see Rowbottom thrown in the guts this year, because it’s clearly where he belongs. But have you seen his NEAFL form playing half forward? Won so much footy in the attacking half and was involved in a lot of scoring opportunities. We could really do with someone who can just find the footy and pressure well inside 50.

A 50/50 split in his early games wouldn’t bother me, but let’s just see how he goes first. He technically hasn’t played a full game at any level under Horse yet in his career.
No I haven't seen him in 2s this year online, just preseason games. Your point is well made, I just long though to see a midfielder play as a midfielder without having to learn some random other position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely excited for Rowbottom... at least there is something to look forwward to. Yes we might get smashed but at least young guys are given a go I guess. The club knows this as well. Just some excitement in what is likely to be a write off season.

I sort of wonder whether we give players like McInerney, Stoddart an early taste of AFL so they understand the speed and intensity of the game rather than trying to match intensity of the NEAFL competition which is not close to the same standard as even VFL let alone AFL.

Stoddart was good in the NEAFL, probably best I have seen him. I would like to see that repeated.

I like COR, reckon he needs to work on his general decision making as much as anything else.

I agree on all points. COR does need to improve his decision-making, but so does Clarke. At least COR fills a role and a need for our team right now as a half back who can provide a fraction of rebound, if not plenty. That’s what makes the Clarke selection that much more odd. It leads me to believe Rowbottom won’t see much midfield time at all as Clarke is clearly being seen as the improvement needed in that area.

No I haven't seen him in 2s this year online, just preseason games. Your point is well made, I just long though to see a midfielder play as a midfielder without having to learn some random other position.

Yep let’s hope Rowbottom’s crappenticeship as a part time forward is short because he looks the most pure midfielder and ball-winner of all the youngsters on the list not currently playing seniors.

He’s of Jude Bolton mold for sure!

I agree on all points. COR does need to improve his decision-making, but so does Clarke. At least COR fills a role and a need for our team right now as a half back who can provide a fraction of rebound, if not plenty. That’s what makes the Clarke selection that much more odd. It leads me to believe Rowbottom won’t see much midfield time at all as Clarke is clearly being seen as the improvement needed in that area.

Clarke directly replaced McInerney who came off a wing last week, so it makes sense from that perspective.

Rowbottom replaces Blakey which suggests he will play in the forward line pushing up to the wings. I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully he gets a few midfield minutes. If our midfield gets smashed he might get a few more.

In any case, at worst, we should be able to see him do some work at stoppages.

Has won 47% of defensive one on one contested this year. Ranked 2nd out of the top 15 players that have defended a contest.
(Footy Live app)

So probably Aliir will need to do the job.

Has won 47% of defensive one on one contested this year. Ranked 2nd out of the top 15 players that have defended a contest.
(Footy Live app)

So probably Aliir will need to do the job.

I don’t rate stats as you know but that is outstanding for a bloke in a defence as under the pump as ours.

I don’t think Lynch will do much damage this week. In fact I think he will only kick two goals. Yet Richmond will still win comfortably which may be the worst part, because we won’t be able to attribute it to ‘well, no one could stop Lynch’. Just my prediction.

As long as our boys have a good crack and apply themselves more consistently across the four quarters, I won’t be too upset.

From a supercaoch perspective do I just give up on Mills? I know this should be SC thread but being a local I thought you guys would get around me?

Ronke is immensely fortunate.

Playing no different than last year.
Just doesn't have the 7 and 5 goal haul to celebrate so far this season.

Posted that I was worried he was a flash in the pan in the offseason. So far it looks that way but those but hard for any small forward to get involved in our team right now.

Still, no one else is calling out for a spot in the team. Menzel will probably replace him when he is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back