Unofficial Preview round 5 we have to play again sorry this time against richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see Rowbottom really contribute in the midfield (if played there) and show us what he can do. I know he’s only playing game #1 so our expectations can’t be too high and that’s fair, but it would be great for him to really be involved.
Influence would be too strong a word, I would just like to see him be part of it, come off the ground and know that he made a difference, even in a small way, and that had some presence, he’s not just being carried in the team.

That being said, even if he doesn’t get near it, his effort in his first year to debut so early is excellent, but I’d love after the game to look at his performance and know that we’ve got something to be excited about in the next few years.

I don’t know why we have this ‘expectation’ that first gamers can’t necessarily impact games. The excuses out there are laughable (it’s his 1st game, he needs the experience etc). Just look at players like Sam Walsh, Connor Rozee, Cam Raynor and even our own Ben Ronke (there are many more)..they can do it! Let’s hope he has a blinder!

I don’t know why we have this ‘expectation’ that first gamers can’t necessarily impact games. The excuses out there are laughable (it’s his 1st game, he needs the experience etc). Just look at players like Sam Walsh, Connor Rozee, Cam Raynor and even our own Ben Ronke (there are many more)..they can do it! Let’s hope he has a blinder!

Another one is: ‘the young players are going to be up and down’...what, the older players aren’t?

Sorry, it’s probably a little off topic but it’s relative to original Rowbottom post.

If this keeps up by round 10 I will officially go into #ECO mode. The only thing that would save me is playing 10 young guys all at once!

What is defined as young?

Weekends lineup will have 10 players 22 and under. 15 are 25 and under.

In my mind we are already saving you :p

Another one is: ‘the young players are going to be up and down’...what, the older players aren’t?

Sorry, it’s probably a little off topic but it’s relative to original Rowbottom post.

You’d expect the older players given experience at the level ‘should’ be more consistent.

He was as a junior. He was drafted as an inside mid.

Averaged 31 disposals as a junior, 12 contested and 19 uncontested.

An inside midfielder will have at the very least 50/50 if not more contested.

Therefore he has never been a genuine inside player, including junior level.

He is a Hannebery outside/inside type and averaged a similar % (around 38-39%) of contested ball which is consistent from his junior days to AFL football output.

You’d expect the older players given experience at the level ‘should’ be more consistent.
I agree but it’s never the case though Masey, we all have off days no matter what our occupation and experience.

Last edited:
Averaged 31 disposals as a junior, 12 contested and 19 uncontested.

An inside midfielder will have at the very least 50/50 if not more contested.

Therefore he has never been a genuine inside player, including junior level.

He is a Hannebery outside/inside type and averaged a similar % (around 38-39%) of contested ball which is consistent from his junior days to AFL football output.

"I like to get in and under majority of the time"

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-11-15/draft-trumps-ryan-clarke

I also remember reading somewhere that Clarke averaged almost as many clearances at the U18 Championships (in his year) as Walsh did.

"I like to get in and under majority of the time"

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-11-15/draft-trumps-ryan-clarke

I also remember reading somewhere that Clarke averaged almost as many clearances at the U18 Championships (in his year) as Walsh did.
Play him forward, it was a strength. I seriously don’t understand these coaches of today that insist on turning forwards into defenders and vice versa. Is it not unreasonable to play to your strengths?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Besides being this good apparent runner like Hanners I don’t think he had any strengths at the top level
You mean ‘has’? He’s not done yet mate and he won’t be until at least the end of next season if he stays in the one’s!

This business of “developing” young midfielders in the back or front half is bullshit.
We are the worst at it and now that we are rebuilding its exposing us with 0 young midfield depth.
Rowbottom will no doubt play forward prob do sweet fa and and get dropped.
I just wish we’d play guys in position.

This business of “developing” young midfielders in the back or front half is bullshit.
We are the worst at it and now that we are rebuilding its exposing us with 0 young midfield depth.
Rowbottom will no doubt play forward prob do sweet fa and and get dropped.
I just wish we’d play guys in position.

This has to be one of the top 10 posts on the Swans board this year.

Let’s try and do really well this week swans
Lets go out with the game plan of hitting targets, winning the contested ball, and kicking goals.

If we do that we win, if we don't then the players should have followed the game plan better

Lets go out with the game plan of hitting targets, winning the contested ball, and kicking goals.

If we do that we win, if we don't then the players should have followed the game plan better

And kicking the ball you know forward. The more we kick it forward we are a chance. I’m not betting on this taking place thus Richmond will be far too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back