Unofficial Preview round 5 we have to play again sorry this time against richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s so frustrating when I see the likes of Walsh, Worpel, Cousins, Butters, Drew, Constable this year play in their position and make an immediate impact.
Meanwhile we piss around with our mids in the back or forward pocket for 3 years.

Yeah our players under 25 or under 100 games don’t seem to ever find consistency or handle a role of late

Other teams have first year second year players in key roles

Old Kenny

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2007
up there
AFL Club
Sydney
This business of “developing” young midfielders in the back or front half is bullshit.
We are the worst at it and now that we are rebuilding its exposing us with 0 young midfield depth.
Rowbottom will no doubt play forward prob do sweet fa and and get dropped.
I just wish we’d play guys in position.
Whilst I tend to agree with your views on most things mate, I’m not sure on this one. I can’t see it being a good thing to throw a first gamer into the centre square against the likes of Martin and co. I think that if the rookie is defensively minded type he should play back pocket/half back role first up with a change into the ball late in a quarter. If he is an attacking speedy type a forward pocket role should be the go again with 5 minutes on the ball a couple of times a game. I agree though this one or two game in then back to the twos (McInerney) stuff doesn’t help with any rookie I wouldn’t have thought.

Sorry for the long winded post.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Whilst I tend to agree with your views on most things mate, I’m not sure on this one. I can’t see it being a good thing to throw a first gamer into the centre square against the likes of Martin and co. I think that if the rookie is defensively minded type he should play back pocket/half back role first up with a change into the ball late in a quarter. If he is an attacking speedy type a forward pocket role should be the go again with 5 minutes on the ball a couple of times a game. I agree though this one or two game in then back to the twos (McInerney) stuff doesn’t help with any rookie I wouldn’t have thought.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Yeah that’s fair, I get where you’re coming from. I think I just see other first year players excelling in the mids and think why can’t ours?

Yeah that’s fair, I get where you’re coming from. I think I just see other first year players excelling in the mids and think why can’t ours?

I’d even take a 25/75 split. With 75% being forward or back.

I mean we still have Mills playing in defence and he was an elite junior mid, we have barely played Heeney in the mids..

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I woke up today thinking it was Saturday and that we were playing and then realised it’s Friday and I’m stuck watching LOL NORF :sweat:

I’m quietly confident this week. Just a gut feel, probably wrong but I just think with it being Kizza’s 250th and with our backs against the wall that we might pull off a victory.

Plus no Riewoldt and Rance and it’s at Marvel not the MCG where I think we play better and Richmond not so good.

I probably need to take the blinkers off but I didn’t have this feeling the last couple of weeks. Anyhow hopefully we get up and keep our season alive for a couple more weeks!

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s so frustrating when I see the likes of Walsh, Worpel, Cousins, Butters, Drew, Constable this year play in their position and make an immediate impact.
Meanwhile we piss around with our mids in the back or forward pocket for 3 years.

It isn't just midfielders either as Papley is being stuffed around as well. He is a genuine small forward, a dangerous one as well, but his development has been stagnated by Longmire insisting that Papley is actually a midfielder for some reason.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I’d even take a 25/75 split. With 75% being forward or back.

I mean we still have Mills playing in defence and he was an elite junior mid, we have barely played Heeney in the mids..

The Heeney “barely” playing mids is a massive stretch of the truth. I reckon he spent at least 50% of his time last year playing mids and has played mids this year albeit delayed due to his ankle.....

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It isn't just midfielders either as Papley is being stuffed around as well. He is a genuine small forward, a dangerous one as well, but his development has been stagnated by Longmire insisting that Papley is actually a midfielder for some reason.

Development stagnated? Far out.
I watch a different sport to some of you.

4th at the Swans for clearances behind Kennedy, Parker and Jones...

The Heeney “barely” playing mids is a massive stretch of the truth. I reckon he spent at least 50% of his time last year playing mids and has played mids this year albeit delayed due to his ankle.....

See that’s the thing I don’t see 50% as enough. Should be 85%

Where is the outrage for Ronke, drafted as a midfielder, not playing mids?

Should barely be in the team

Seems to appear at half back half the time

There’s a lack of consistency

Also on Heeney the stats seemed to indicate he rarely attended centre bounces etc

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
You really need to watch other teams play.

and he has kicked a total of 3 goals in 4 games, so as of right now he is nothing more than a below average midfielder rather than potentially a very good small forward.

Papley cleqrance numbers are misleading he does f all with most of them

Sydney 1-3 that’s the only stat that matters soon to be 1-5

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree Mick. I think both have the potential to be good players for us, they just haven’t shown those signs yet. Understandable, but they should still have to earn their places in the team. I wasn’t convinced by Clarke’s NEAFL attempts at doing so, but then again it’s not my approval he needs to earn.

I’m more bothered by the fact we seemed to have conceded that since McInerney, an 18 year old in his first game, failed to provide any run out of defence/on the wing, that we just can’t have any pace. Both Stoddart and COR could do anything McInerney could do, and more consistency given their experience and reserves form. Horse was willing to inject some pace last week, why not now ?
Clarke is supposed to be fast. That is why we got him.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If we judge Papley purely as a midfielder (which we have to as his goal tally suggests he is not a forward anymore) then we see Papley's midfield stats are not brilliant.

Disposals - 17.5
Marks - 4.8
Clearances - 3.5
Clangers - 4
Disposal efficiency - 65.7%
Metres Gained - 241m
Score Involvements - 6.8

Other than perhaps score involvements those are not great figures. I mean they are not so bad I am calling for him to be dropped, but those are the figures of a below average midfielder, nothing more.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Any game, any team & you'll find players moving all over the ground at any given time. It's how they respond to such a move that makes them better players. Breust & Gunston at Hawks, De Goey, Sidebottom at Pies.
It's the modern game where certain players need to be able to adjust according to what the game is demanding at any particular moment.

At present we are really struggling to stop an opposition's momentum. This is why you will see Papley etc moving around the ground rather than just sitting forward when we can't get our hands on the ball for significant patches, such as in the third when Melbourne took hold of the game. Our inexperienced players such as Ronke, McInerny need to learn how hard they need to work to halt this momentum.
The problem is that we miss targets badly on transition & lose the ball easily, thus forcing our players to work harder the other way.
It's modern footy but we are just missing targets & being turned over far too easily. The 5 day break amplified how lethargic we looked in the 3rd quarter & the game was over in an instant when we perhaps should have been up by 40 points at one stage of the second.
So Paps is vital in that transition of players going through the midfield to help out the likes of Parker, Kennedy & Heeney, Mills etc, etc. They ALL need to have the ability to play when called upon at any moment in any game.
Heeney going back last year against Mebourne when we lost AJ & I think Smith was his coming of age IMO & it won us the match.
Paps will have his moment too one day but just kicking goals is only one side of the equation for him. What happens when we are under siege the other way? That's what I am looking for from our 'emerging' talent.

I understand if you can't see that but while we are not stable in defence with the absence of key players, disciplined players like young McCartin are trusted ahead of others, even if they are natural forwards.
Make do with what's at your disposal. A disclined player will always trump an exciting prospect who makes repeat errors.
So Paps, Reid, McCartin seem to be trusted by the coaches.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Any game, any team & you'll find players moving all over the ground at any given time. It's how they respond to such a move that makes them better players. Breust & Gunston at Hawks, De Goey, Sidebottom at Pies.
It's the modern game where certain players need to be able to adjust according to what the game is demanding at any particular moment.

At present we are really struggling to stop an opposition's momentum. This is why you will see Papley etc moving around the ground rather than just sitting forward when we can't get our hands on the ball for significant patches, such as in the third when Melbourne took hold of the game. Our inexperienced players such as Ronke, McInerny need to learn how hard they need to work to halt this momentum.
Tge problem is that we miss targets badly on transition & lose the ball easily, thus forcing our players to work harder the other way.
It's modern footy but we are just missing targets & being turned over far too easily. The 5 day break amplified how lethargic we looked in the 3rd quarter & the game was over in an instant when we perhaps should have been up by 40 points at one stage of the second.
So Paps is vital in that transition of players going through the midfield to help out the likes of Parker, Kennedy & Heeney, Mills etc, etc. They ALL need to have the ability to pkay where called upon at any moment in any game.
Heeney going back last year against Mebourne when we lost AJ & I think Smith was his coming of age IMO & it won us the match.
Paps will have his moment to one day but just kicking goals is only one side of the equation for him. What happens when we are under siege the other way? That's what I am looking for from our 'emerging' talent.

I understand if you can't see that but while we are not stable in defence with the absence of key players, disciplined players like young McCartin are trusted ahead of others, even if they are natural forwards.
Make do with what's at your disposal. A disclined player will always trump an exciting prospect who makes repeat errors.

You say that like you think that is the only way to play. As stated before West Coast is not like that, and most of their players have set roles, not usually changing those roles much.

The problem is we are playing players out of position, playing them in roles that they are not suited to and it is hurting their development. I can't believe for a second that Mills would not have been better off being put into the midfield from day one and left there. He would be a much better player now if he was.

I can almost guarantee you that if Longmire got Sam Walsh in the draft Walsh would be playing either in the backline or forward line right now for us, instead of playing in the midfield like he is with Carlton right now, and playing really well.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Lets go out with the game plan of hitting targets, winning the contested ball, and kicking goals.

If we do that we win, if we don't then the players should have followed the game plan better

Ah ! Straight from my coaching handbook. Do The Basics well and you invariably win. Do them for long enough that is. We done it for all of about a quarter and 10 minutes last week. Then our opponents kicked 3 goals in less than 5 minutes and we spat the plug. It was not one thing to do with the game plan. The game plan looked fine for that quarter and 10 minutes but when you are challenged by the opposition because they won't roll over and after all this is a physically competitive sport if you are harder for longer YOU WIN.

Stand up and show some ******* fight.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
So someone sensible remembers.. they kept u in the game! I wish we got the same protection for our midfielders!
Really? So Ablett, Danger and Selwood don't get protected? Between them thay are streets ahead of any other group of players for frees for in the AFL. They accumulate more frees in any game than our whole team.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back