Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

I know people don't like the AFL player ratings system but Oliver is ranked third lol. And yeah along with Brayshaw and Oliver his clearance work is through the roof this year. Much better disposal though. If we were 2-2 even he'd probably be getting more appreciation, but it's hard to see the good of what he's doing atm.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I know people don't like the AFL player ratings system but Oliver is ranked third lol. And yeah along with Brayshaw and Oliver his clearance work is through the roof this year. Much better disposal though. If we were 2-2 even he'd probably be getting more appreciation, but it's hard to see the good of what he's doing atm.
I see the good of everything he does.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

I don't even think he's playing that well. He's taking the first handball option again rather than assessing multiple options and he is still our best player.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Agree, I love him but he has gone into his shell again.

Back to his 2017 form not 2018, too many of those 1m handballs to flat footed targets etc. He's good enough to almost drag us across the line in a game single handedly he just doesn't know how good he is yet

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's harder to have confidence in yourself when you can't have confidence in your team either.

Meh it's gotta start somewhere.
He's literally the first link in the chain.
Would I spend time picking wholes in his game atm? Nah.
Is he playing at his best? I don't think he is much more than a pass on his own standards

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He’ll keep getting better this year. Missed a fair chunk of pre season with the double shoulder op and is still in our top few. He is also down a few tackles a game. Possibly due to the shoulders.

I don't think the shoulder surgery has affected his tackling. I think its more the fact we haven't been locking the ball in to the opposition half like we were last year and making it more of a contested maul. It's a more open game now so guys who are in and under at the contest are going to be tackling less.

Last edited:

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don't think the shoulder surgery has affected his tackling. I think its more the fact we haven't been locking the ball in to the opposition half like we were last year and making it more of a contested maul. It's a more open game now so guys who are in and under at the contest are going to tackling less.
I have no idea on the numbers, but tackling across the board looks to be way down this year. It's become an outside type of non contact sport now unfortunately..

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I’d like to see clarry emphasise his defensive efforts, particularly at stoppages (only nit picking) Sometimes his quick hands can be to quick and the receiver is under as much pressure as him. I’d love to see him kick more, he is a good decision maker and a penetration kick.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I have no idea on the numbers, but tackling across the board looks to be way down this year. It's become an outside type of non contact sport now unfortunately..

It's due to it having less stoppages now thanks to the 6-6-6 and the kick in but it wasn't any better to watch last year with 120 tackles in 3 minutes. Game is broken as *

He’ll keep getting better this year. Missed a fair chunk of pre season with the double shoulder op and is still in our top few. He is also down a few tackles a game. Possibly due to the shoulders.
Good point. He's probably reluctant to be tackled all too much right now, hence taking the first option. Classic reaction to surgery. Would expect that to go after a few more games.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Clayton Oliver is officially the worst in the AFL for kicking I50, of Claytons 45 kicks inside 50, just 4 have been retained by a Melbourne player.
Add that to the rubbish handballs of this season and hes playing as poorly as he has ever played in a Dees jumper. I know people get excited over high possession games but when he gets the ball almost nothing happens this season.

Olivers 8.9% retention rate is the worst in the AFL

3rd worst in the AFL is Ed Langdon with a retention rate of 17%, of course we are ******* interested in him

Add that to Viney and Brayshaw and thats the be all and end all of our terrible I50 entries. We will never be a consistently good team with these 3 playing together unless one of them changes their game.

Last edited:

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Clayton Oliver is officially the worst in the AFL for kicking I50, of Claytons 45 kicks inside 50, just 4 have been retained by a Melbourne player.
Add that to the rubbish handballs of this season and hes playing as poorly as he has ever played in a Dees jumper. I know people get excited over high possession games but when he gets the ball almost nothing happens this season.

3rd worst in the AFL is Ed Langdon with a retention rate of 17%, of course we are ******* interested in him

Add that to Viney and Brayshaw and thats the be all and end all of our terrible I50 entries. We will never be a consistently good team with these 3 playing together unless one of them changes their game.
If we are gonna play with no real plan for going inside 50 we should at least kick it low and hard to give our forwards some chance, but no, we continue to bomb it with long, sky high up and under kicks every week. Defenders lick their lips over that s**t. Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney and Jones are all repeat offenders.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If we are gonna play with no real plan for going inside 50 we should at least kick it low and hard to give our forwards some chance, but no, we continue to bomb it with long, sky high up and under kicks every week. Defenders lick their lips over that ****. Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney and Jones are all repeat offenders.

Or we can do what Richmond does, go out and find as many gun small forwards as possible to atleast do damage from the entries.

They have, Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Higgins, Bolton who are all better than our best small.

The retention rate isn't surprising, even last year or the year before i don't recall him ever holding onto it long. He's always been quick to fire out a handball rather than hold the footy, but his disposal has been a lot worse this year.

I'll back him in though, poor seasons happen and you get caught falling into bad habits. He's young and already achieved so much, i'd expect a return to the Clarry i know next year

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The retention rate isn't surprising, even last year or the year before i don't recall him ever holding onto it long. He's always been quick to fire out a handball rather than hold the footy, but his disposal has been a lot worse this year.

I'll back him in though, poor seasons happen and you get caught falling into bad habits. He's young and already achieved so much, i'd expect a return to the Clarry i know next year

Did you not understand retention rate? He's the worst kick inside 50 in the AFL. He wasn't great before but now he's the worst.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Or we can do what Richmond does, go out and find as many gun small forwards as possible to atleast do damage from the entries.

They have, Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Higgins, Bolton who are all better than our best small.

I'd be interested to know Richmond retention rate, but also there ground ball inside 50's

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Go easy on Clarry. He’s still killing it. He’s had a very interrupted preseason and is probably still building his fitness. When you’re a bit under done the game can feel quicker. He’s a beautiful kick, he just generally wins the ball under intense pressure.
We need to stop writing off all of our players.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Go easy on Clarry. He’s still killing it. He’s had a very interrupted preseason and is probably still building his fitness. When you’re a bit under done the game can feel quicker. He’s a beautiful kick, he just generally wins the ball under intense pressure.
Maybe if we package up him and Brayshaw we could get an early second rounder ... neither of them are playing infallible football at the moment, so clearly they aren't worth persisting with ...

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not a single ******* person wrote him off

Back