blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
If he played for a amateur club in Perth the only reason a club could deny a clearance was if he hadn't paid his fees for the season or he had club property which he hadn't returned.

I take it the EDFC are not considered amateurs?

Big John Studd

Senior List
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
SF 49ers & Chicago Cubs
So who called bluff? Saints or D/East

1554955832127.png

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
If he played for a amateur club in Perth the only reason a club could deny a clearance was if he hadn't paid his fees for the season or he had club property which he hadn't returned.

Same applies here however he must have entered into an approved AFL Victoria contract as that’s the only other reason you can deny a clearance. He’s getting a last crack at the AFL for Christ’s sake...the club are kidding themselves in trying to hold him back

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sounded pretty serious to me listening at the time. Even listed the reasons why he wanted that amount. Sponsors, gate money, bar takings etc. I could have understood if you said he was taking the mickey about Rowe kicking 100 though..

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Carlton offered $500 which he considered a cheeky offer so he countered with his cheeky offer. He was not seriously wanting $200K. He wanted Carlton to come to the table to talk but it never happened.

It’s unreasonable. They’re a second division local club that is by far the best team within their comp. If they are really preventing Rowe a chance at the highest level over some money, it’s a blatant cash grab to me.

It's called contract law. The club has every right to be compensated, good on them for standing their ground.

It could be a "mickey mouse" club that I set up in my own backyard, it is of 0 relevance what level its at. He has a contract, it can be performed, severed by mutual consent or he can breach his contract and run the risk of being sued.

They club want to protect their investment and asset. Completely reasonable.

Well under the new rules any player delisted or overlooked in the draft will just have to put an AFL release clause into their state league or suburban contracts if they hold even the slightest bit of hope of playing AFL moving forward. Simple.

Sure and with less security comes less pay from the local club. Cuts both ways.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Well under the new rules any player delisted or overlooked in the draft will just have to put an AFL release clause into their state league or suburban contracts if they hold even the slightest bit of hope of playing AFL moving forward. Simple.
And watch his contract be cut in half if he tries. If I was a suburban club and a player requested that clause I'd tell him to bugger off and find someone else.

Local leagues build a season around signings like this and could risk relegation or paying back sponsorship money. The AFL clubs don't get that and by reading this neither do most fans.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
And watch his contract be cut in half if he tries. If I was a suburban club and a player requested that clause I'd tell him to bugger off and find someone else.

That is a decision for all players to make then isn't it.

If the local club is not happy with it then the player can find another club who is.

At the end of the day if all ex afl players include the clause then the local clubs can take the risk or miss out altogether.

And alternatively if the players do take the extra cash for not having the release clause then they will just have to suck it up if they find themselves in the same position as Rowe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

They’re not amateur. He’d have been paid handsomely.

Rowe had a a contract with them

The impact shouldn’t be underestimated. He’d be one of the very best players in the league at Doncaster East. Irreplaceable, especially at this time of the year

It’s a huge derailer for a local club. A player of that calibre affects everything. Crowds, results, weekly revenue, ability to recruit other players.

Fair enough he goes but there should be a transfer fee as compensation and it should be sizeable (relative to DEFC). Just because an AFL club has suddenly decided they want him, doesn’t mean a whole other club can just be disregarded. It’s that kind of attitude that killed state leagues and the last thing we want is it killing local footy too.

I doubt that many people actually realise the money we are talking of in some metro leagues. Big name players earn more than AFL players on rookie contracts.

Fev got $10k per game at Yarrawonga.

Yeah but most of those payments and ones similar are off the books or involve other players from the club taking paper bag payments to enable higher cash payments to big name recruits

Most local leagues have strict salary caps and point systems to try and stop teams with cashed up sponsors or members buying cups.... not that it works

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Yeah but most of those payments and ones similar are off the books or involve other players from the club taking paper bag payments to enable higher cash payments to big name recruits

Most local leagues have strict salary caps and point systems to try and stop teams with cashed up sponsors or members buying cups.... not that it works

Most local leagues also have "free" sponsorship that isn't included in the cap. Clubs can legally sponsor their own players

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
100k is a piss in the ocean for AFL clubs, they waste that type of money on a weekly basis.
ED signed him, he wants out. eD should be compensated.
People need to understand that footy is just as important at club level as it is at AFL level.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Think this is one of those rare situations where there is no clear cut villain, you can have empathy for both sides. Regardless I wish Sammy all the best and Donny East hopefully will be fine (they had a thumping win last week, IIRC against Lilydale or Croydon)

Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Los Angeles Clippers
100k is a piss in the ocean for AFL clubs, they waste that type of money on a weekly basis.
ED signed him, he wants out. eD should be compensated.
People need to understand that footy is just as important at club level as it is at AFL level.
There are only several clubs that could throw that amount around and the saints aren’t one.

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Rowe had a a contract with them

The impact shouldn’t be underestimated. He’d be one of the very best players in the league at Doncaster East. Irreplaceable, especially at this time of the year

It’s a huge derailer for a local club. A player of that calibre affects everything. Crowds, results, weekly revenue, ability to recruit other players.

Fair enough he goes but there should be a transfer fee as compensation and it should be sizeable (relative to DEFC). Just because an AFL club has suddenly decided they want him, doesn’t mean a whole other club can just be disregarded. It’s that kind of attitude that killed state leagues and the last thing we want is it killing local footy too.
Maybe what kills local footy is wealthy clubs continually adding ex Carlton players to their list instead of investing in their locals.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Think this is one of those rare situations where there is no clear cut villain, you can have empathy for both sides. Regardless I wish Sammy all the best and Donny East hopefully will be fine (they had a thumping win last week, IIRC against Lilydale or Croydon)
Would have bee Croydon, Lilydale knocked them off by a goal a couple of weeks back

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

I don't know about other states, but in SA, we have the South Australian Amateur Football League, which is a 7 division comp which spans the metro area, the level below the state league SANFL. Most players are paid and there's plenty of money going around (and plenty of recent ex-SANFL and AFL players pop up too), and it's generally referred to as "the amateurs" or "the ammos", because the players generally aren't professional footballers (most are people who still work day jobs and play footy on the weekends) without the players actually being 'amateur' under the true definition of the term. Holds true for other outer metro leagues and country leagues too.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't know about other states, but in SA, we have the South Australian Amateur Football League, which is a 7 division comp which spans the metro area, the level below the state league SANFL. Most players are paid and there's plenty of money going around (and plenty of recent ex-SANFL and AFL players pop up too), and it's generally referred to as "the amateurs" or "the ammos", because the players generally aren't professional footballers (most are people who still work day jobs and play footy on the weekends) without the players actually being 'amateur' under the true definition of the term. Holds true for other outer metro leagues and country leagues too.

In Melbourne there’s the VAFA which is true “amateur” - players aren’t paid (officially anyway). It’s a seven division comp as well.

There’s five metro leagues which aren’t amateur, as in player payments are permitted. Southern (4 divisions), Eastern (5 divisions), Northern (3 divisions), Essendon District (3 divisions) and Western Region (3 divisions).

Doncaster East are Eastern 2nd tier.

Player payments are also legal in all country leagues (some of which are now quasi-metro due to Melbourne’s urban sprawl).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back