Review Round 5, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I said at the start of the year Rayner was struggling and I was staggered in the presser last night when fagan basically said he plays half forward his not going to get 20 odd touches . That may be true but he should be able to pressure and all the other aspects . Rayner came back 4kg overweight not good enough for a bloke who should be aiming to improve his running . He needs to go find Andrew Bradshaw and do running sessions in the off season like a few of them do in Melbourne in the holidays .

Jarrod Lyons has been nothing short of abysmal . Stewie dew has got us with the last laugh there and we have his mediocre output for another 3 years god help us know wonder he jumped at the 3 year deal and while the coasters were happy to off los him for nothing . He won’t get dropped against Gold Coast next week though .

Whatever people say about cutler or his apparant weaknesses he does have outside run and pace something this one dimensional midfield is lacking if matho and Lyons can’t even win stoppages what’s point of them being there .

Last nights performance has actually highlighted the missing pieces we still need to be a serious contender . Lyons and mathison aren’t it and mcstay is just a decoy full forward looks like Tarzan plays like Jane . Getting bailey back will help defence but we need at least another quick player hopefully ( T berry or J madden have the potential to do this for us otherwise we need to aim to do this at the draft or trades.

Do not understand how anyone could think this when he's gone off most games with the blood rule and played with a fractured cheekbone. Last night was poor but he's been throwing his bodyweight around.

Mate as soon as you step over that white line you declare yourself fit how else would you describe his performances the last 3 weeks ? Zero influence on the contest is j brown think it’s ok to have a shot in the media pretty sure supporters can asww

Mate as soon as you step over that white line you declare yourself fit how else would you describe his performances the last 3 weeks ? Zero influence on the contest is j brown think it’s ok to have a shot in the media pretty sure supporters can asww

I'm not saying he's playing brilliantly. But it's not soft as is very obviously from the amount of head clashes he's suffered. He's willing to put his body on the line.

I'm not saying he's playing brilliantly. But it's not soft as is very obviously from the amount of head clashes he's suffered. He's willing to put his body on the line.
I said on another thread I just think he does not put himself in the correct spot. You have him Big O or Hippy and 2 of the other jumpers going for the same ball a lot. No one spreads out. I know the delivery been crap although seems lack of finding space

I said on another thread I just think he does not put himself in the correct spot. You have him Big O or Hippy and 2 of the other jumpers going for the same ball a lot. No one spreads out. I know the delivery been crap although seems lack of finding space

Definitely room for improvement but we showed in the first 3 rounds that we have a decent forwardline. Even the last 2 we would've kicked a decent total if we had kicked straight. Linc and Charlie are the ones that have let us down after the first 3 rounds.

Fagan has been at the club for 3 years now and we still have one of the worst backlines in the league whilst still having a top 3 key defender and hodges guidance down there so something is wrong with the system and the mid still doesn't spread and work both ways, he played a extremely slow backline once again. We aren't just playing kids anymore so the past 2 results aren't good enough, time he steps down from the main role and takes a similar role to the one he had at hawthorn, probably should start looking at Ratten if possible.

Witherden was absolutely shocking last night, his kicking has become horrible and same goes with his decision making he doesn't defend and doesn't know how to and has a shocking tank of him. Needs to be dropped for a couple weeks so he learns he isn't gods gift to earth, he is in his 3rd season he doesn't deserve the respect hodge gets and shouldn't be allowed just to float around the backline without doing any actually defensive work. Hopefully bring in Answerth

McStay has been absolutely no where near past couple weeks and doesn't have the ability to hit the score needs to be dropped and work on his fwd craft in the neafl and gain some confidence, someone like Wooler who can work around the ground and act as the link similar to lynch from crows should come in.

Christensen is just simply shocking should be replaced by Keays.

Andrews (injury), Allison should replace him 195cm and can either play small or tall and adds run and speed to our backline and Gardiner and Walker can take the two talls and allison can play on the 3rd tall.

Mathieson (injury) should be replaced by cutler to add some outside run.

Watch none of this happen and we bring in Bastinac and Lester and just beat Gold Coast by 10 points.

Our backline has improved ny about 50 points in the last 2 years. I was also happy with our forward line in week 1 and 2, we were hard to score againts. There has been a complete defensive malfunction with the enrite side and it exposes our defenders. Overall I think we have a generally ok back 6

Also what is with the Keays obsession with everyone? has never demonstrated he is capable at the level.

McStay has played 70 odd games in a crap team, being thrown between 2 positions. He has also been reasonably good this year, bar last night. Seriously, people think he is going to be johnothan brown all of a sudden? he is devaloping and playing a tough position and showing glimpses most weeks. He is a decent young player with room for improvement, stick with him.

Since I'm in the mood for confessing.............I may or may not have invited two Essendon fans to the game........one of which has never been to a Lions game where they've won...........

Saying our backline hasn't improved in the last few years is just weird.
worm_brl_5.png

Since I'm in the mood for confessing.............I may or may not have invited two Essendon fans to the game........one of which has never been to a Lions game where they've won...........
As long as you gave their uncles a good clip across the ears it should be fine.

As long as you gave their uncles a good clip across the ears it should be fine.

...there ARE no uncles. And if you think I'm clipping Aunt Karen across the ears you've got another thing coming, ESPECIALLY after she bought me chocolate :3

...there ARE no uncles. And if you think I'm clipping Aunt Karen across the ears you've got another thing coming, ESPECIALLY after she bought me chocolate :3
Well if there's chocolate involved, that's probably ok then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McStay has played 70 odd games in a crap team, being thrown between 2 positions. He has also been reasonably good this year, bar last night. Seriously, people think he is going to be johnothan brown all of a sudden? he is devaloping and playing a tough position and showing glimpses most weeks. He is a decent young player with room for improvement, stick with him.
I’d argue he was better in defence although he wasn’t accountable at times . Might be robbing Peter to pay Paul but I’d swap mcstay and walker round for next week . Also we have been wanting skinner to become the player we know he could be any chance of him playing this week ?

Petraccellie 5 goals chases hard , lightning speed pick 38 and effectively playing same role that Rayner is playing
The thing is Petrucelle has 1 trick. He has lightning quick speed and that alone should get him a decent career. While Rayner doesn't have that speed he does have a fair few things that /Petrucelle doesn't. Good contested marking, high leap, bigger body and explosiveness (Petrucelle also has this obviously). Rayner is obviously not playing great but l reckon he will have a better career than Petruelle. In saying this l would love Petrucelle on our list, that lightning speed is such a weapon. You can put all the forwards out of the forward half and just leave PEtrucelle there and kick it into space and just watch him run around his player all the way to goal and kick a goal.

The thing is Petrucelle has 1 trick. He has lightning quick speed and that alone should get him a decent career. While Rayner doesn't have that speed he does have a fair few things that /Petrucelle doesn't. Good contested marking, high leap, bigger body and explosiveness (Petrucelle also has this obviously). Rayner is obviously not playing great but l reckon he will have a better career than Petruelle. In saying this l would love Petrucelle on our list, that lightning speed is such a weapon. You can put all the forwards out of the forward half and just leave PEtrucelle there and kick it into space and just watch him run around his player all the way to goal and kick a goal.
Except for the bigger body, everything else has been missing so far this season. Looking more and more Petracca like as each game goes own.

Pretty rich to suggest Rayner is a good contested mark when he continuously drops marks including straightforward uncontested marks.

As for bigger body; well probably too big a body given he looks unfit and too heavy and has next to no tank and struggles to run out games in the forward line, which have been the same arguments made re Petracca.

Cam has a s**t tonne of work to do to even look like a decent first round pick, let alone no.1 pick.

Except for the bigger body, everything else has been missing so far this season. Looking more and more Petracca like as each game goes own.
Pretty rich to suggest Rayner is a good contested mark when he continuously drops marks including straightforward uncontested marks.

As for bigger body; well probably too big a body given he looks unfit and too heavy and has next to no tank and struggles to run out games in the forward line, which have been the same arguments made re Petracca.

Cam has a s**t tonne of work to do to even look like a decent first round pick, let alone no.1 pick.
I did say that Rayner wasn't playing great atm. So his marking, explosiveness and leap have been missing. Doesn't mean they are gone for good. We saw in his 1st year what he can do. I think it is a case of he came back to pre-season overweight and not realising the demands that footballers need over the off season. His fitness was always going to take 4 or so seasons to get better. Look at Matho, still trying to get there.

I reckon all it is gonna take is to shed those kgs and his leap, explosiveness will be back. Confidence is down so marking is down too. Very much doubt that next off season he will be back over weight.

Interesting. Where do you source this info? Do you have Pies stats for the game?
I don't source the info - they're compiled by myself.

Here are the Pies:

Overall Summary - 30 Bounces

Treloar 26
Phillips 26 wing
Pendlebury 25 (17i, 8w)
Sidebottom 24 wing
Adams 20
Beams 20
de Goey 7
Elliott 2 wing

Rucks:

Grundy 26
Cox 4

And just for structural comparison here is your Rd 23 game from last season...

Midfield Frequency Stats - Brisbane vs. West Coast - 28 Bounces

Cutler 26 wing
Berry 19
Beams 19
McCluggage 18 (15w, 3i)
Starcevich 15 (11w, 4i)
Zorko 12
Robinson 10
Rayner 10
Mathieson 5
Taylor 2 wing
Bailey 2
Rich 1 wing

Rucks:

Martin 21
McInerney 7

Last edited:
barrett.PNG
57420699_2180798788664647_795123932549087232_n.jpg

I really hope you are right, but 70 odd games, with about 50 up forward and only glimpses up forward. He has shown far more when in defence IMO but we need a key forward more then a key backman. Do we get games into a younger player (Balladen?) and play McStay down back?

Can we afford McStay playing when he gets 5 to 10 disposals per game?

Ag
I did say that Rayner wasn't playing great atm. So his marking, explosiveness and leap have been missing. Doesn't mean they are gone for good. We saw in his 1st year what he can do. I think it is a case of he came back to pre-season overweight and not realising the demands that footballers need over the off season. His fitness was always going to take 4 or so seasons to get better. Look at Matho, still trying to get there.

I reckon all it is gonna take is to shed those kgs and his leap, explosiveness will be back. Confidence is down so marking is down too. Very much doubt that next off season he will be back over weight.
agree and the jury is still out on Mathison as to whether he will stay make it not on what I saw the other night . If we used pick 1 on a bloke who is basically only going to play half forward and have 10-15 touches a game then it was a complete wAste of a pick . The fact he came back 4kgs overweight when you have severe limitations on your running is actually mind boggling . Certainly the story about all players came back in good shape was a fairytail spun by the club .

I really hope you are right, but 70 odd games, with about 50 up forward and only glimpses up forward. He has shown far more when in defence IMO but we need a key forward more then a key backman. Do we get games into a younger player (Balladen?) and play McStay down back?

Can we afford McStay playing when he gets 5 to 10 disposals per game?

Yes. Did you watch the first 3 rounds?

Yes. Did you watch the first 3 rounds?
I watched and l don't agree. He got 0 goals against WC but did help stop McGovern with Hippy. McGovern would have been happy that his primary goal of stopping his opponent from kicking a goal. Obviously his seconday would have been intercept which didn't happen.
He got 1 goal against NM against a 3rd gamer...
He got 2 goals agains Port whih was good but provided nothing around the game as he only had 7 disposals.

We need more from him, he needs to get up the ground like Hippy has been doing and stop missing basic basic shots.

Back