Review Round 5, 2019 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, Marshall was pretty darn average before he was dropped.
He regained some confidence and form in the SANFL last week. Who knows if keeping him in the AFL team the last 2 weeks would have had the same effect?
This was the point I've been banging on about for 3 weeks.

In terms of stats and influence he was basically on par with his game against Melbourne. Fine, but hardly setting the world on fire.

The difference to our forward line was enormous. He can average 9 touches, 3 marks and 1 goal all year playing his role, and we'll be so much more effective going forward.

Wow. How beautiful was that to beat West Coast in the west. I need to find images of Gaff looking bewildered.

I got my Good Friday miracle so I guess there really is a God and she’s a Port supporter.

Did not think I would have been wanting to watch a replay of us playing WC.

To continue the Easter theme, you see it is ok for you to want to believe ;)

Strange game. We weren't that great but the Eagles were woeful so I'll take it. Possibly a gift from the footy gods to make up for the last 2 weeks.

I disagree with this. Yes it was scrappy at times due to the weather, but we played excellent football. We absolutely smashed them right from the start, and denied them any chance to get back into it.

This was their worse loss at the new stadium, and it should’ve been more if we were a bit more accurate. We had nearly twice their shots, and close to double their inside 50’s.

This should really be a defining game for us moving forward.

To be fair, Marshall was pretty darn average before he was dropped.
He regained some confidence and form in the SANFL last week. Who knows if keeping him in the AFL team the last 2 weeks would have had the same effect?
He was fine against Melbourne.

Also, watch the last 10 minutes against Richmond. One more tall contesting balls in the air to prevent intercept marking by their defenders, and we probably win.

NSFW

2z0ltg.gif

On a couple of thoughts on the less noted players last night

Boak ripped it apart early. Really set the tone. He was quieter after quarter time but he ran his tagger around like Scorpio ran Dirty Harry. Difference is his opponent never got hold of Boak. The Eagles were one down all night.

Robbie Gray may not be in form but he takes the best medium defender and leaves Rozee to terrorise the second best and ET Butters to probe the third.

Ryder threw the helmet away and could see the ball again.

Westhoff and Marshall reduced our greatest nemesis to a non-factor.

And how I enjoyed watching Howard use his pace and run with the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall did sweet FA, although he did put some effort in unlike rounds 1 and 2. One tackle, 3 marks and I doubt any of them were contested because he lost every marking contest I remember.
TBF it's hard when the umps take clear contested marks off of you.

At the ground, with the benefit of the full ground vision, we did to the eagles what they so often do to us.

We worked harder off the ball, directed the eagles defence to go a certain way and go long. Our tackles stuck meaning the could break the lines and gave professional frees away to slow things down.

We hunted in packs, ran with the ball carrier and backed each other up.

This was the point I've been banging on about for 3 weeks.

In terms of stats and influence he was basically on par with his game against Melbourne. Fine, but hardly setting the world on fire.

The difference to our forward line was enormous. He can average 9 touches, 3 marks and 1 goal all year playing his role, and we'll be so much more effective going forward.

I agree with you absolutely that Marshall should be a fixture in the forward line.

But as far as influence this game was light years ahead of his Melbourne game. I won't label this a coming of age game but he played like a genuine #1 key forward. He's not used to the idea of leading the forward line but he grasped it.

He contested everything that came in his area. In the air, on the ground, with and without the ball. He did smart off the ball work. He didn't spectate and he went to impose himself every time.

That is the game we all wanted the see from him. The one where he looked like he believed he should be there leading the forward line and he was going to prove it. Why the coaches highlighted his workrate at the convention.

The goals will come.

SGray was excellent
SPP does just as much off the ball than with it. He’ll be nursing a very sore leg this morning after that bone on bone collision.

Marshall helps our structures so much but needs to work on “wanting the ball” to make it as a full forward. I live the kid but he’ll be Westhoff Mark II rather than a full forward unless that changes.

“I’m sure it was the same guys.....”

No it wasn’t. A variety of gripes have been aired on this forum by different people at different times. Don’t go throwing a blanket over everyone as having a foot in every camp. It’s just not true.

I never wanted Boak or Rockliff dropped or pensioned off.

Personally, I wanted Sam Gray dropped and didn’t like Howard as a defender. Tonight Gray had an exceptional game playing higher up the ground. Well done to him. And Howard probably had a career best game. Well done to him too.

See, this is a forum about football. People are going to come here and say stuff you might disagree with. Game day threads are even more full on during a bad loss because people say things in the heat of the moment that maybe they wouldn’t when they’ve simmered down. If people have a problem with that then maybe this sort of forum isn’t for them. But don’t come here all wise after the event, having contributed nothing to the discussion, and rub s**t in people’s faces (that isn’t directed at you).
Fair enough
But I think some of the need new coach comments got a little embarrassingly personal and strayed away from football.

Re Sammy yes it’s good for him to be played in a position that suits his strengths

One thing I loved which we seem to have fixed from the last two years is that even though we still play an abundance of big-bodied mids we certainly aren't a slow side anymore, both by foot and ball-use. Even just Boak's transition back into the midfield alone makes him look so much faster, and all the new kids can turn the jets on. It's great to have that contested, scrappy, ball-winning dimension to the side and also some real exciting run and pace.

Wasn't home last night, good to get home and have a read of BF. I'd like to thank the umpires for giving the game an authentic Good Friday vibe by crucifying us.

I'm still baffled how we can play like that last night, but then we can't beat Richmonds VFL team at home

Because we didn't have our good luck charm Todd Marshall in the team last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back