Not open for further replies.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
You need to be good, not just be tall. Something this board does not understand and never will.

Westhoff and Ryder didn’t stop the Richmond small defenders marking everything uncontested. Need to make a contest.

Marshall needs to play some decent football and earn a spot back. Unfortunately this is looking like it will be a difficult task.

I missed this last week, but you're wrong, and the proof is in the pudding over the last 5 years. We always look more threatening and efficient going forward when we play a 3rd tall forward. It's not by coincidence, and not every 3rd tall plays a good game every time.

We weren't just unlucky or not working hard enough against Richmond and Brisbane, we couldn't make contests because our lack of marking targets allowed our opponents to dominate the aerial contests. The KPDs didn't have a lot of work to do and their crumbing players could set up knowing that they had the size advantage at almost every marking contest.

The 3rd tall option just needs to provide a good target, hustle on defence and play his role. Unless he's a total liability, the difference he makes to our forward structure more than makes up for any performance deficiency. If you can't see the difference between the weeks we've played the 3rd tall and the weeks we haven't, I can't help you. It's been incredibly clear this season. Marshall is averaging 9 disposals, 3 marks and 0.66 goals. Hardly setting the world on fire.

It's crazy that we ever dropped him. Just crazy.

A threat on the ground and in the air. Dangerous whenever he goes near the pill. The opposition respect his talent enormously and his presence brings others into the game. Watch and learn Ken.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Todd should never be out of the team, sure he will have his quiet games, but as others have said he straightens us up, he comes at the ball carrier, and he is extremely good below his knees. :thumbsu:
Or if he does need to be out of the team then replace him with another tall.

Not doing the second part has been our issue for ... a *ing long time.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Set shot kicking (particularly at AFL level) is a bit off. Needs to work on that a bit, hopefully just nerves and comes good with a bit of confidence/experience at AFL level.

Good to have him back though.

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I missed this last week, but you're wrong, and the proof is in the pudding over the last 5 years. We always look more threatening and efficient going forward when we play a 3rd tall forward. It's not by coincidence, and not every 3rd tall plays a good game every time.

We weren't just unlucky or not working hard enough against Richmond and Brisbane, we couldn't make contests because our lack of marking targets allowed our opponents to dominate the aerial contests. The KPDs didn't have a lot of work to do and their crumbing players could set up knowing that they had the size advantage at almost every marking contest.

The 3rd tall option just needs to provide a good target, hustle on defence and play his role. Unless he's a total liability, the difference he makes to our forward structure more than makes up for any performance deficiency. If you can't see the difference between the weeks we've played the 3rd tall and the weeks we haven't, I can't help you. It's been incredibly clear this season. Marshall is averaging 9 disposals, 3 marks and 0.66 goals. Hardly setting the world on fire.
No I am not wrong about anything. He was dropped because he wasn’t doing enough, now he might have come back a better player. From a sample size of 1 game it is looking like a win.

If there is nobody to replace him when he is dropped then that is a list management problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
No I am not wrong about anything. He was dropped because he wasn’t doing enough, now he might have come back a better player. From a sample size of 1 game it is looking like a win.

If there is nobody to replace him when he is dropped then that is a list management problem.
His sample size of 1 was statistically basically identical to his game against Melbourne, and against Melbourne he got knocked out with most of the last quarter to go.

He's come back the same player.

You're wrong.

Marshall still didn’t work hard enough last night. He doesn’t know where to run, work hard enough to present and present again (reiwolt) or will himself to the contest.

He will cap his career as the third tall or the wing if we don’t help him soon. Ken’s answer so far is dropping him, where I’d suggest getting tredrea or Schulz or similar mentoring him.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Marshall still didn’t work hard enough last night. He doesn’t know where to run, work hard enough to present and present again (reiwolt) or will himself to the contest.

He will cap his career as the third tall or the wing if we don’t help him soon. Ken’s answer so far is dropping him, where I’d suggest getting tredrea or Schulz or similar mentoring him.
You’re wrong. Todd was fine last night.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

- He had his parents die and an injury interrupted first two seasons. This is a tough pill to swallow, but his development stalled because of it for extremely obvious reasons.
- Forwards take more games to develop. There's a reason Luko isn't setting the world on fire this season.
- Richmond pumped games into JS and we reaped the benefits, but if they didn't do that he would never have had the same output with us.

Reality is, if we want to avoid having to last ditch bring in a forward a la Dixon again we need to pump games into him. Based on everything, Marshall is going well.

Dalfino

#BringBackTheBars
May 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Since Round 22 2017 when Todd Marshall debuted our Win/Loss has been:

11-2 with Marshall
6-10 without Marshall

Todd Marshall's Career:

12 Wins
2 Losses
14 Goals Kicked (1.1 per game)
26 Tackles (2 per game)
13 Clangers (1 per game)

He kicks goals, he applies pressure as a tall forward, he uses the ball well. The stats don't lie, Todd is an absolute pillar of the team and needs to stay in it for us to be successful in the imminent future.

You’re wrong. Todd was fine last night.

Being at the game you could see Marshall’s lack of work off the ball which you often don’t see on the camera.

He also played like Jack Watts, waiting for an error or an opportunistic outcome rather than creating the outcome.

That’s the difference between a third talk and a full forward.

He’s a must selection in my books but a lost opportunity if we don’t get the right help.

- He had his parents die and an injury interrupted first two seasons. This is a tough pill to swallow, but his development stalled because of it for extremely obvious reasons.
- Forwards take more games to develop. There's a reason Luko isn't setting the world on fire this season.
- Richmond pumped games into JS and we reaped the benefits, but if they didn't do that he would never have had the same output with us.

Reality is, if we want to avoid having to last ditch bring in a forward a la Dixon again we need to pump games into him. Based on everything, Marshall is going well.

100%

To me, the dropping of Marshall says that Ken can’t develop Marshall into what he could become.

Marshall is a real talent but has areas to work on. With the right help he could be more talented than tredrea (but no one will ever beat tredrea’s will and work rate). Without the right help he’ll become Watts.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

He's doing fine.

He's a 13 game, 20yo KPF. You're massively overestimating what his output should be.

If you can find a few 20yo KPFs with less than 20 games experience who are playing at step above what Marshall is doing, let us know.

JAlexG

Premiership Player
Mar 4, 2012
Alberton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston!
100%

To me, the dropping of Marshall says that Ken can’t develop Marshall into what he could become.

Marshall is a real talent but has areas to work on. With the right help he could be more talented than tredrea (but no one will ever beat tredrea’s will and work rate). Without the right help he’ll become Watts.
I'm genuinely interested in what areas specifically he needs to work on according to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back