2nds 2019 Suns Reserves and NEAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I am watching Aus U18 vs Casey demon . Very good quality match .

Brad Scheers disposal was appalling for the most part
Needs to get those kicks low and hard-looping and missing at the moment
Otherwise he's coming along nicely
Easily the most effective mid for us today and ran all day
Happy to see trimmed Scheer running all day. But his disposal was no good, also lacking speed, urgency in contest.

Only 2 AFL standard players for me today if spots would be available - Corbett and Young.
Day looks really bad - too heavy, slow, can't hold on marks.

Given our Academy has a good crop of up to 5 draftable players it’s time to do some heavy delisting at seasons end. The fringe players need to get very serious or it’s Southport and Aspley for them on the weekend, training two nights a week and working 40 hours a week like the rest of us plodders.

Possibly Day's hip may have caught up with him. Poor bloke.
I'm sure Sam, over the distance, has been one of the genuinely good guys on our list. The 13/14 period was good in terms of him getting on the field, but I don't know that using him as a stop-gap for our deficiencies/injuries during that time helped his development.

I'm disappointed for him, he never got a clear run at it.

I'm sure Sam, over the distance, has been one of the genuinely good guys on our list. The 13/14 period was good in terms of him getting on the field, but I don't know that using him as a stop-gap for our deficiencies/injuries during that time helped his development.

I'm disappointed for him, he never got a clear run at it.
Contract up end of this year too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we get flogged like this every year?
There’s enough listed players for us to expect better than this

Because they usually top up with academy or local kids so not enough mature bodies.. the whole suns neafl program needs a major overhaul and has done for a long time.. imo you can’t expect players to develop when topped up with high school students

Because they usually top up with academy or local kids so not enough mature bodies.. the whole suns neafl program needs a major overhaul and has done for a long time.. imo you can’t expect players to develop when topped up with high school students

So how do GWS, Dodge City Lions and the Ugly Ducks top Up their NEAFL teams??

Can’t we get more mature bodies top ups then?
If not from the NEAFL then QAFL teams like Palm Beach, Labrador, Broadbeach etc.
The quality mature ages are playing in VFL , WAFL and SANFL. GCS don't need Nutting , Dawson type but Hanley type from International rookie B , or Australia basketball /other sport background with agility and endurance .
Ben King , McLennan will develop faster playing with good mature players around them , Leslie ,shoenfield , nutting , Dawson and GC academy underage players just don't cut it .

Sorry but the suns neafl had more listed players than GWS today. They also top up with academy as do swans and lions.

We have a few 19 year olds contracted Keonan is one of them.

The academy boys did ok from what I saw. The listed players need to do better I reckon, and let’s be honest with this reset they talk about means lots of younger listed players in the NEAFL, plenty of them will not make it.

Sorry but the suns neafl had more listed players than GWS today. They also top up with academy as do swans and lions.

We have a few 19 year olds contracted Keonan is one of them.

The academy boys did ok from what I saw. The listed players need to do better I reckon, and let’s be honest with this reset they talk about means lots of younger listed players in the NEAFL, plenty of them will not make it.

We need to stop making excuses for getting flogged by the other AFL Reserves Teams in the NEAFL.
Over it.
It’s embarrassing.

We need to stop making excuses for getting flogged by the other AFL Reserves Teams in the NEAFL.
Over it.
It’s embarrassing.
I normally watch NeAFL YouTube , but the quality were so bad I gave up and watch Aus U 18 kids playing VFL Casey Demons .

Haven't visited your board for a couple of days, so first chance to catch up on all threads. When I read the two teams, I expected the Suns to pump GWS, like we did last week. GWS were playing a lot of academy kids.

So how do GWS, Dodge City Lions and the Ugly Ducks top Up their NEAFL teams??

Can’t we get more mature bodies top ups then?
If not from the NEAFL then QAFL teams like Palm Beach, Labrador, Broadbeach etc.

They seem to have more mature rookies instead of mostly academy players and use more mature bodied top ups.. peel probably got a better idea

To answer the above posts. We don't use players from the NEAFL or QAFL to top up our reserves team. We have 6 U19 Academy players that top up our reserves team, and after the U18 Championships are finished mid year, we'll start bringing in our top U18's that might be genuine draft prospects to the reserves team.

We have a pretty healthy list, but our NEAFL team on the weekend was still pretty young, with 14 players with 1 to 3 yers experience and 1 U19 academy kid.

We have deliberately kept Ryan Lester on our list to play that Luke Hodge role for the NEAFL team. By all rights he should have been delisted last year, but is a very good on-field coach like Hodge. When he does get delisted, he more than likely moves in to coaching role at the club.

We also have 7 players on our rookie list. Two were delisted from our senior list last year and re-rookied to create more list spots for trades and draft last year.

Matt Eagles is a special Cat A rookie from winning that game show a couple of years ago, the AFL allows us to carry 5 CAT A rookies because of Eagles, though this is his last year.

And two of the rookies are CAT B, one a young Irish kid and the other a young tall (Fullarton) we brought back over from Basketball. Fullarton was actually in our academy and was an AA U16, before focusing on basketball and spent his U18 year on the Brisbane Bullets list, before coming back to footy this year as a 19 year old.

In short, we have 40 senior listed players, 7 rookie listed players and 6 U19 academy kids, giving us 53 players. So we effectively have 30 players to pick our NEAFL team from. And then add in possibly another 3 or 4 academy kids after July.

Last edited:
[
GC currently have 39 on Senior list
5 on rookie list
Sam Fletcher replace Wigg {LTI)
Thompson on LTI -senior list .
2 Rookie B ( Heron and Dawson)
9- U19 academy member .
Dirk Koenan
Lachlan McDonald
Fitzroy Greenwool
Cory Beaman
Kane Haua
Cooper Portelli
Ryan Gilmore
Jackson Brumley
Matthew Conroy.

* Sam Fletcher , Corey Ellis , Rankine , Lemmenn , heron not available vs GWS.

Last edited:
GC currently have 39 on Senior list
5 on rookie list
Sam Fletcher replace Wigg {LTI)
2 Rookie B ( Heron and Dawson)
9- U19 academy member .
Then what's the problem with your NEAFL team?

How many U18 academy kids played and why, at this time of year?

How many senior players in the NEAFL team.

The discussion was based on why the Suns NEAFL team not have enough mature bodies in it.

Our NEAFL team last week and this week had 7 mature players in it, albeit with the exception of Matty Eagles, they're still 26 or under. Of the Seven, four are AFL standard, while the other three are borderline AFL standard (but are the prime candidates for delisting at the end of the season).

Then what's the problem with your NEAFL team?

How many U18 academy kids played and why, at this time of year?

How many senior players in the NEAFL team.

The discussion was based on why the Suns NEAFL team not have enough mature bodies in it.

Our NEAFL team last week and this week had 7 mature players in it, albeit with the exception of Matty Eagles, they're still 26 or under. Of the Seven, four are AFL standard, while the other three are borderline AFL standard (but are the prime candidates for delisting at the end of the season).
Ok , Sam Day , Nicholls, Risca,young were senior other all age 23 or below .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back