Review Round 5, 2019 vs West Coast

Sleezy

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well I thoroughly enjoyed that. Had a bunch of lovely but clueless west coast supporters around me, asking me who their players were.

They told me they'd be keeping me quiet before the bounce. I asked when they thought that might start about 15 minutes in. My voice is a bit sore.

I thought SPP and Howard set the tone. They hunted the ball, and burst away with pace. We smashed them in the middle and off half back.

Sheppard always blankets R Gray. I'm not too worries. He'll pick back up.

Clurey and Jonas dominant on JK & Darling.

Good to see Todd getting involved, would have loved to see him nail a couple of long goals.

Petrucelle looks a player, but WCE need more than him and free kicks to win games.

Things I loved:
- Dan the man, that tackle on Ryan
- Rozee's goal
- Doug's spoil and tackle
- Daaarling going all WWE, lol

Things that got my goat:
- Burton called for holding on petrucelle
- The deliberate oob's
- Fumbles, oh the fumbles

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For the first time this year, Marshall was serviceable in an AFL game. He did his job. Actually used his size and made body contact. Anybody who thought we were not carrying him in the first two games are deluded.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Freo board last night saying we nailed our draft picks especially Rozee BUT that Butters was close to their pick and they're
very envious of us getting him.
In their own individual way both of them along with Duursma bring their own talents and let's not forget Burton and for mine
our most important pick-up Lycett. I didn't want to lose Polly n Chad but sheesh have I moved on or what.
They're all a breath of fresh air that was badly needed.
Yes my Freo mate was really disappointed, said their club were after Butters

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
I agree about S Gray. Sam was a ball magnet as a midfielder in the SANFL and playing up the ground is probably the best way to use him.
100% and well you know, it's not like many who watch the Magpies haven't said this for a looong time.
Some of his left handed h/balls last night were exceptional (take note Dooogs).
Sammy is a seasoned footballer who is brilliant.... oops Brie ant in the sanfl as a mid.
Playing him higher up the ground last night wasn't rocket science, just long overdue.
My issues with Sam have revolved around him being played out of position and given gold pass status.
He played bloody well last night and good luck to him.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On a couple of thoughts on the less noted players last night

Boak ripped it apart early. Really set the tone. He was quieter after quarter time but he ran his tagger around like Scorpio ran Dirty Harry. Difference is his opponent never got hold of Boak. The Eagles were one down all night.

Robbie Gray may not be in form but he takes the best medium defender and leaves Rozee to terrorise the second best and ET Butters to probe the third.

Ryder threw the helmet away and could see the ball again.

Westhoff and Marshall reduced our greatest nemesis to a non-factor.

And how I enjoyed watching Howard use his pace and run with the ball.
Liked for the reference to Scorpio and Dirty Harry.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
^ was noted on the Freo board and believe it or not some of our neighbours' posters said the same.
The footy world took notice last night. Very relieved and proud of how we shone on a Friday night game
with the whole country watching.
Unless the country you are referring to is China, then unfortunately the whole country wasn't watching.

It was a Friday night game, but it wasn't televised nationally by channel 7. I am in Melbourne and had to watch it on Foxtel.

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Seriously good win there guys, glad you saved it for this week and not last week. It must be exciting times with performances like that with the 4 debutants in the team since round 1. Boak is turning back the clock, Lycett has been a good get and Rocky is now back to full fitness. Did Powel Pepper pick up an injury?

I’d tell you to go and have a beer with Janus and enjoy it but somehow I don’t think either of you are happy unless you are whining about something Port hasn’t done
* me dead, did you watch the game last week? The last 4 years? Everything that was said was warranted.

We were incredible last night though.

The sheer audacity and disrespect to take a (needed) bounce with a man hot on your heels, then dart right and snap it. Farkn jizz.

I marked that ball too, but Kristian punched it out of my arms the prick hahaha

Would've been paid a mark if you were an Eagles player.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Unless the country you are referring to is China, then unfortunately the whole country wasn't watching.

It was a Friday night game, but it wasn't televised nationally by channel 7. I am in Melbourne and had to watch it on Foxtel.
Bugger
Took it for granted that it would have been coast to coast on FTA.

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Me watching the game last night looking at the stats and having to listen to the absolute pants on head commentators saying over and over "Jeez, West Coast are missing a few free kicks here"

1555730111360.png

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
What I loved most is that it was a relentlessly committed performance start to finish.

We overcame our own patchy form.
We overcame the umpires.
We overcame our own inaccuracy.
We overcame their attempts to wrestle back momentum.
We overcame a hostile crowd (for 2 quarters anyway!).
We adapted to the weather (or rather we didn't have to as the style of footy we played was already right).
We won the footy wherever it needed to be won and got it moving forward again rather than be willing to concede ground.

Other times, too many times, any of those things would have caused us to drop heads. Not last night.

That was as Port as it gets. Yes there is still skill to tidy up but the way we went about it was perfect.

(side note, I didn't think the umpiring was THAT BAD - yes they were favoured but we still had frees paid to us in goal kicking distance - there's been lots of other games with more even counts but they would put the whistle away in our half of the oval).

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I disagree with those negative comments on Marshall's game last night. Certainly of the games I have seen him play, that was his best. Certainly his most consistent! If he keeps playing 4 quarters of footy like that each week, it is only a matter of time before he tears a game apart & dominates.

I also totally agree with him being dropped the last few weeks ... Totally! But also agree that it was dumb selection to replace him with a small ... Dumb!

Sammy Gray, while not the best AFL player, played a ripper game last night. He certainly proved he can hold his own in a well-functioning side.

Did anyone get to see Houston's ant-social behavior in the post-match team meeting showed on Foxtel last night, I wont post it here, but ...Freaking hilarious!!!

Feb 4, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Freo board last night saying we nailed our draft picks especially Rozee BUT that Butters was close to their pick and they're
very envious of us getting him.
In their own individual way both of them along with Duursma bring their own talents and let's not forget Burton and for mine
our most important pick-up Lycett. I didn't want to lose Polly n Chad but sheesh have I moved on or what.
They're all a breath of fresh air that was badly needed.
agree and i know Drew is in his third year but imho like the other 3 boys i think of him as a first year recruit...he is very impressive and showed last week how bloody brave he is...country lad!

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Marshall and Rozee were both highlighted on Fox Footy blocking McGovern's run at the contest. Deep in the second quarter the Eagles had zero intercept marks. 0. ZERO.

My theory is that this is probably down to Bassett being a natural at coaching defenders and applying this talent in the forward line.

Pity it took Grimes taking a thousand intercept marks in the last quarter last week for a strategy like this to work.

Marshall should be getting credit for this as well as his presence and goal.

Back