Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

The way SPP smashed that slippery wet footy into the Eagles backline.Caused Wce defence all kinds of problems.Was glad they got him off the field and iced up in the last qtr.Was looking uncomfortable out there.

I was so worried he cracked a bone when it happened

The collision was huge

You mean Willem Wallace?

giphy.gif
My mistake ...Drew

My mistake ...Drew

Let's put it this way...if Chad Wingard had that kind of performance for Hawthorn, this board would be falling over itself to say how we let a future Brownlow medallist go.

20 disposals (12 contested) @ 75% DE, 29 pressure acts, 5 tackles and a goal.

He deserves to wear the PB jumper at training this week. He was transcendent.

Let's put it this way...if Chad Wingard had that kind of performance for Hawthorn, this board would be falling over itself to say how we let a future Brownlow medallist go.

20 disposals (12 contested) @ 75% DE, 29 pressure acts, 5 tackles and a goal.

He deserves to wear the PB jumper at training this week. He was transcendent.

Actually I'd argue that the best thing about last night was that he wasn't transcendent. Boak, Wines & Drew were similarly tremendous in the engine room with their hardness and put a bloody good midfield to shame with their ball handling.

Actually I'd argue that the best thing about last night was that he wasn't transcendent. Boak, Wines & Drew were similarly tremendous in the engine room with their hardness and put a bloody good midfield to shame with their ball handling.

I meant in the context of his performances for the year. It was by far his best game from a holistic viewpoint IMO.

Apart from having a more versatile list thanks to our additions, SPP this year and Wines yesterday are IMO what gives us hope that things may have changed for the better.
In recent past they both seemed to be utilised in one dimensional type roles when we knew they were able to offer much more than just that.
Both are more than capable of being recognised as top 25ish players in the AFL when they play their all round games.

His best game last night and not getting the love he deserves.

We won it in the guts and he was a monster in there. Went straight at the ball at pace all night. Stats don’t show what he did. It was a brutal performance.

I didn’t think he could become this good.
Explosive out of the contest and with with his attack on the ball. It was said when they recruited Sam that he would run through brick walls for you. Such a hard upbringing - but he loves his teammates, and he loves the guernsey and for better or worse he likely loves Ken, and he brings that to the fight. He may never have balance and poise with ball in hand but I have to say he was very clean off the ground last night. Overall, it was a commanding performance, an assertion of strength, will, and character, that I cannot recall seeing from any third year player. I love the guy and his back story and what he brings - and it’s only in jest that I say:
“He is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can’t look away.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big tick to WCE supporters , I was decked out in full Port gear and post match many went out of their way to say well done , your team played great, etc etc .

Sat amongst them during match and again they were fine , full of compliments for how port were playing . Had no issue with me cheering Port along throughout

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big tick to WCE supporters , I was decked out in full Port gear and post match many went out of their way to say well done , your team played great, etc etc .

Sat amongst them during match and again they were fine , full of compliments for how port were playing . Had no issue with me cheering Port along throughout

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

All of the flog WCE fans left at half time or didn't come to begin with, that's why.

Apart from having a more versatile list thanks to our additions, SPP this year and Wines yesterday are IMO what gives us hope that things may have changed for the better.
In recent past they both seemed to be utilised in one dimensional type roles when we knew they were able to offer much more than just that.
Both are more than capable of being recognised as top 25ish players in the AFL when they play their all round games.

I just think we're not lumping so much on them this year. Our midfield has lost Wingard and Polec but has effectively gained Rockliff and Boak in peak form, who are much better suited to what we're trying to do because they can play inside or outside and can be the linkmen in between.

Wines was terrific against WCE but he's been that good before. SPP has been a revelation this year. Just exploding in and out of contests, throwing his weight around, finding the ball, getting into space and kicking long and direct.

The disposal will tidy up as he starts to realise how much time and space he's getting himself into and lowers his eyes, but his confidence grows every week.

I can't figure out how to attach or make a better version of this but check out SPP giving his teammate a speed boost

Would have been the play of the year if DBJ held the tackle... still, it would have been called play on!

Have to remember that this is only his third year in the competition.

Wait until he gets the experience of positioning etc.

Said he needed to be that explosive player from stoppage. With Wines back to form and doing the bulk of the bull work, it’s his time to shine.

A starting midfield of Wines, Powell-Pepper and Drew is pretty awesome for the foreseeable future.

Wines is no where near back to form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back