Analysis Play Todd Marshall...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree that he does some really smart things and he is clearly going to string a few games together here. I just don't accept how bullish some of the comments here are about him and we should play him irrespective of how well he is playing. If he is the best 2 KPFs available at selection, he plays. If he is not, he doesn't. That shouldn't be a controversial statement.

It’s controversial because it’s wrong

If you concede that westhoff isn’t a kf, which he shouldn’t be, and Ryder is a ruck who rests forward, and Dixon is injured, Marshall isn’t only in our best 2 key forwards, he is our only key forward.

This isn’t opinion. It’s backed by evidence. We’ve seen what happens when we play westhoff as a kf, and we’ve seen what happens when we play him in his natural roving around the ground position that he excels at.

We know Ryder spends a lot of time in ruck. We know as a kf he only rests up forward for short periods and is effective in bursts and invisible for much longer.

Marshall doesn’t need to be in our best 2 key forwards. He is our only forward until Dixon returns.

You’re opinion is wrong on the basis that we’ve clearly established through years and years of evidence that if you want an elite forward you need to develop them by giving them games in the afl side

It’s evident by the hundreds of examples in afl history.

I actually think Power Aid is right. He is not soft, it is not as though he squibs contests, but he doesn't seem to have a killer instinct. He looks like he is trying to avoid giving away free kicks. He doesn't crash packs from behind. There were also a couple of times last night where a WC player went to the ground and instead of going straight to him, he backed off and allowed the ball to be dished off from the ground. He has a laconic style about him and whilst I don't think he should be expected to part the seas like Dixon who is 20kgs heavier, or run at players like a madman on meth ala Butters, he still needs to impose himself on the game more. At the end of the day he needs to stay in the team simply because we don't have a KPF to replace him with. But if we are going to advance much further we also need someone (it might be unfair to lay it on Marshall, but we need it on someone) to give a better contest in the air. Its unfortunate that he missed 2 very gettable goals because a 10 touch 3 goal game is much better than a 10 touch 1 goal game. That is ultimately the problem, he doesn't get into the game enough. I am genuinely struggling to think of a time where he got 15+ touches. In some ways the injuries to Watts/ Dixon will help, because he just has to play irrespective of his form. But when there are options he is going to have to produce more to stay in. He either has to become a link man ala Tom Lynch and get more of the ball, kick more goals if he is only going to get the pill 10 times, or be a force of nature if the air ala Dixon. 10 touches, 1.2, and bringing the ball to ground a few times isn't going to cut it for him personally or for us beating top sides.

I will paraphrase the words of Warren Gary Tredrea from his post game summation last night about Todd. He gave him the thumbs up and finished up with - he is 198cms and 87kgs. Watch out when he gets to 97kgs.

It’s controversial because it’s wrong

If you concede that westhoff isn’t a kf, which he shouldn’t be, and Ryder is a ruck who rests forward, and Dixon is injured, Marshall isn’t only in our best 2 key forwards, he is our only key forward.

This isn’t opinion. It’s backed by evidence. We’ve seen what happens when we play westhoff as a kf, and we’ve seen what happens when we play him in his natural roving around the ground position that he excels at.

We know Ryder spends a lot of time in ruck. We know as a kf he only rests up forward for short periods and is effective in bursts and invisible for much longer.

Marshall doesn’t need to be in our best 2 key forwards. He is our only forward until Dixon returns.

You’re opinion is wrong on the basis that we’ve clearly established through years and years of evidence that if you want an elite forward you need to develop them by giving them games in the afl side

It’s evident by the hundreds of examples in afl history.
Marshall needs more AFL time as our key forward.
I thought he had a good game, and from what I saw, he must have been instructed to put pressure on McGovern and keep him accountable during the game.

Was at the park walking my dog earlier tonight. There was a dad there kicking the footy with his young son, probably around 7 or 8 years old. As kids do when they're kicking the footy around he was commentating out loud. He was pretending he was Todd Marshall. :blueheart::blueheart::blueheart:

Ken, don't break this child's heart. Keep playing Todd.

Was at the park walking my dog earlier tonight. There was a dad there kicking the footy with his young son, probably around 7 or 8 years old. As kids do when they're kicking the footy around he was commentating out loud. He was pretending he was Todd Marshall. :blueheart::blueheart::blueheart:

"Men, there's a little crippled boy sitting in the hospital who wants you to win this game. I know because I crippled him myself to inspire you."

People have been bagging Westhoff all year. Ryder is a AA ruck and has been contributing more than disposals/ goals. McGovern/ McKay are s**t. Last night Ryder had 13 touches, 19 hitouts and the same 1.2 Marshall had. Westhoff had 17 touches. The opposition forwards did nothing because they had half as many i50s as us and Clurey/ Howard/ Jonas played like studs. So no, you are wrong. Marshall was ok first game back, but we need more from him.
Westhoff has played 250 games and is the reigning B&F, Ryder is an all-Australian, B&F winner. At least compare apples with apples. Toddy got to many marking contests. He'll start clunking them. Needs time and a bit more size. We are a better side with him in.

Just needs to get his set shots right. Reckon he has a pretty ordinary record in front of goals tbh.

He doesn't butcher his shots, so to speak, but it doesn't matter if he missed by 5cm or 5m. I am not confident at this stage when he is lining up.

Kinda like reverse Schulz. He didn't often kick the footy straight through the middle but he was very good at just getting it between the big posts, which is all you gotta do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what a few are saying re Marshall work rate. He just needs a bit more time and experience and coaching and confidence. The best forwards find a way to get to contests and stick marks they had no business in being part of. Marshall leads and attacks packs fine but they are 99% contests you could see were going to have his name on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The structure we are playing to demands an extra KPF ie Marshall.

Yes he has work to do and he needs to start nailing those set shots but he is a gun of the future and still early in his career.

For those saying don’t play Todd, we need a KPF up there. So it’s Todd or Frampton/Ladhams, who aren’t as dynamic and have fewer runs on the board or we reshuffle someone forward like Burton, Howard, etc. Simply, Toddy plays whilst he is fire and providing an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall was influential against West Coast because he stopped McGovern getting to marking contests and contributed at ground level.

West Coast are excellent in the air down back and pretty average (terrible so far in 2019) on the ground.

We'll need Marshall to clunk marks against teams who are good on the ground but poor in the air, or average at both. So he does need to start taking a few grabs but I'm sure he will.

Or if he does need to be out of the team then replace him with another tall.

Not doing the second part has been our issue for ... a ruddy long time.
This. Marshall deserved to be dumped, just like Motlop. What changed on Friday night was our approach into the forward line. We have been doing the same old for five years, and for the first f&@&en time we changed it. The poster before about contesting and bringing the ball to ground should join the coaches. I reckon Schofield is rolling the dice rather than playing things safe.

Would he get more games if his name was Ted Marshall?

Mak you think

I will paraphrase the words of Warren Gary Tredrea from his post game summation last night about Todd. He gave him the thumbs up and finished up with - he is 198cms and 87kgs. Watch out when he gets to 97kgs.
WGT knows a thing or two about playing as a key forward! He's right. There were 3 or 4 occasions where Marshall had made better position against Schofield, but didn't quite have the core and upper body strength to hold his position and also take the mark. FWIW, Schofield is a couple of cm shorter than Marshall, but about 7kg heavier.

Think of the children Ken!

I am a big fan. Chf is so so so hard to play. we haven't had a real chf since tredders, if we have someone who can play the spot well we will be a 20% better team overnight. Marshall has it all except for the bulk, experience and confidence. no one on our list has a snowballs chance in hell of holding that spot except for him & he has the potential to be our best kpf since tredders.

The Moment on Monday: Port’s Dougal Howard and Todd Marshall produce emphatic response to being dropped in the first month of the season
FORM will dictate who gets dropped but the art of coaching is when, so to illicit the best response, and Port Adelaide’s match committee has been spot on this season.The first big call came in pre-season when Dougal Howard was left out of JLT 2 for Jack Watts who shone in his new home at half-back.

The second came after Round 2 when Todd Marshall was axed for his slow start.Two big calls given they’re what Port hope will be their centre-half-back and centre-half-forward for the next decade.But coach Ken Hinkley is also coaching for the now and clearly knows what makes his players tick and the message they need both publicly and privately. Both were playing their third game of the season against West Coast on Friday night and were outstanding. And the man who came in for Marshall a fortnight earlier — Sam Gray — was in the best three players on the ground.
Then there was Marshall who on Friday night stood the player Dermott Brereton considers the “most valuable” in the game — Jeremy McGovern. He beat him and the Eagles’ defence, and he did it by playing in front. He marked in front of McGovern and won free kicks in front of Shannon Hurn and Will Schofield. All that was matched by his workrate and pressure to create opportunities for others such as knock-on then handball for Xavier Duursma’s goal in the first quarter, chase down tackle on Tom Cole and intercept mark from a kick-in in the last. It was the perfect response after a week in the twos. Last week it was Steven Motlop who was axed. His response was to have 31 disposals and 10 clearances in the SANFL. Whether his senior recall comes this week or next, based on that performance and the response of Howard and Marshall before him, Port’s tough love could be the perfect tonic..............
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/2a916a2116d948f0ec9767f6d4ce7ed6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back