AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember watching him in his first two years and wishing he played for us. Seeing him move the way he did tonight, was bloody awesome :thumbsu:
Was my favourite player at GWS (now that's Whitfield). A couple of times yesterday I almost pinched myself, disbelieving that he actually plays for us. Funny though, he's not my favourite player in our team. Maybe because I still can't quite believe it!

Thought that yesterday was the first time I've seen him in red and black and thought "that's why I thought he was in the conversation as a top 10 mid in the game".

Dynamic, powerful and hard running. It would be madness for anyone to continue to let him run free, particularly in our system. This guys is not an accumulator whose impact is debatable. He'll clock a km of metres gained if opponents continue to allow him to run free.

Absolute jet. Building each week and still doesn’t look like his at his absolute potential.

800m gained and 10 i50 is exactly the reason Shiel can’t be left to roam free at stoppages, and our players look to be trying to find him in space more often.

If he snags a goal or two on Anzac Day the crowd will lose their minds, 100k at the G is what he came here for.

Graphic representation of my reaction to, essentially, every single one of his possessions:

JdsVztb.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overlap run = wow. Our midfield was just streaming in waves and sharing the ball like it was party time.

Will be so interesting to see how this style adjusts to the Collingwood midfield’s defensive pressure and ability going the other way. The last two years we have been rattled by the defensive pressure of the best teams, Richmond especially. Do we finally have the weaponry to get through those systems? Watching Shiel dominate, I’m optimistic.

Shiel may be having one of those periods with his kicking - He was a good kick at GWS, while he's kicking at EFC is just missing the target - It's not like he is shanking his kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back